SENATE BILL: The Duke-Scott Educating The People Reform (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:28:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The Duke-Scott Educating The People Reform (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The Duke-Scott Educating The People Reform (Debating)  (Read 11968 times)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: July 02, 2014, 12:10:57 PM »

I certainly support the gist of this and would encourage you guys to keep it simple and direct - the last three pages are about software and operating systems and versions and so on, and I think the best thing might be to assume districts will make some of those choices, or else word it so that in fact is what happens. Then just wash your hands of it.

Required tutoring would probably involve some kind of compensation since it usually occurs after school when most people are tired, irritated, ready to go home?

What would be really cool, but totally not required, would be a program for recycling old technology! You want to see museums of old technology? Visit a public school. Tongue

This is also labeled "Part I." Is the idea that a "Part II" is coming at some point later?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #301 on: July 02, 2014, 04:44:19 PM »

We had multiple parts remaining, but obviously those will never see the light of day at this rate.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #302 on: July 03, 2014, 04:21:50 AM »

Shades of last summer's mental health reform bill in this thread. I am beginning to wonder whether this might be a backdoor attempt to convince us all of the virtues of regionalizing authority over education policy. Tongue If that were your goal, you would be succeeding.

More like shades of last summer's education bill. I had a clear focus from the start and built a text slowly over the course of the long debate that addressed those key issues. This looks nothing like that. Tongue

The Educaiton bill last year started already made like this, had several sections that divided the members and several more sections that had issues that needed to be addressed but too little interested in them to get them resolved.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #303 on: July 04, 2014, 01:35:26 AM »

We had multiple parts remaining, but obviously those will never see the light of day at this rate.

If you've written it up, I'll gladly sponsor.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #304 on: July 04, 2014, 01:46:43 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Alright, how about this?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #305 on: July 04, 2014, 11:07:51 PM »

If we are giving out grants, wouldn't we be the ones choosing what to fund?  Or does this grant just go to every school without pre-approval?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #306 on: July 05, 2014, 07:01:12 AM »

I thought you hated the feds using money as a way to worm there way into decision making? Wink
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #307 on: July 05, 2014, 09:16:11 AM »

Alright, how about this?
Lumine,
Shall I consider that as an amendment?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #308 on: July 05, 2014, 10:09:45 AM »

Since he is quering for further changes probably not. It takes some getting use to but if fully utilized you can avoid countless unnecessary amendment votes by allowing "discussion of texts" outside of the amendment process. The way that works is simply not treating them as amendments until the Senator specifically states they are offering it officially.

It other words, you are right to ask him first. Wink
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #309 on: July 05, 2014, 10:15:49 AM »

Alright, how about this?

Something along those lines is great - "Districts may select the appropriate software and hardware that they find most suitable."

I really don't think it's reasonable to spend every dollar for them. I think as long as it is understood that they are spending money on educational technology (i.e., computers) that's sufficient.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #310 on: July 05, 2014, 03:55:38 PM »

I just might let you do that. Scott and I haven't written up any of Part II and III, but we had a basic framework completed. We figured this one would pass easiest and we'd go from there. In hindsight we both wonder what we were thinking.. Tongue
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #311 on: July 05, 2014, 08:17:08 PM »

I just might let you do that. Scott and I haven't written up any of Part II and III, but we had a basic framework completed. We figured this one would pass easiest and we'd go from there. In hindsight we both wonder what we were thinking.. Tongue

Nothing is easy, my dear Dukie.

In any case, my offer is open and indefinite, so just let me know if/when you want me to sponsor and I'll do it.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #312 on: July 07, 2014, 09:46:30 AM »

So where are we here? Lumine's amendment is fine with me - how he worded it or how I worded it are both fine, because it means the same thing.

What sticking points remain?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #313 on: July 07, 2014, 01:56:09 PM »

In any case, my offer is open and indefinite, so just let me know if/when you want me to sponsor and I'll do it.

Great, I'll get with Scott after I take the bar and see if we want to move forward with it. If this part takes months to do, the next two parts will surely take years.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #314 on: July 07, 2014, 01:59:32 PM »

Great, I'll get with Scott after I take the bar and see if we want to move forward with it. If this part takes months to do, the next two parts will surely take years.

Haha, I look forward to Part 3 in 2020.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #315 on: July 07, 2014, 07:09:41 PM »

Well, Yankee, I formally offer the amendment I sent earlier.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #316 on: July 09, 2014, 10:19:48 AM »

Okay, here's what I think I'm going to do. After a couple days I'm going to take the last text of this, include Lumine's amendment, edit it all so that it's acceptable to me, and then present it. Hopefully, a senator will pick it up, and maybe - just maybe - that will be the impetus to complete this. I'd just like to get away from foreign policy and war for a day. Yes?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #317 on: July 10, 2014, 04:43:11 AM »

Edward never got away from war. Tongue
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #318 on: July 10, 2014, 08:30:09 AM »

Ah, my friend, that would be civil war. And I agree, that will be hard to get away from. Grin

Henry VII after all might have been more appropriate, if it weren't for the fact that his son and grandkids were so awful. Tongue

Anyway, tomorrow at the soonest or over the weekend at the latest I'll have something with this education statute. I've got to deal with the Sanity in F.P. bill today.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #319 on: July 10, 2014, 08:58:06 AM »

Ah, my friend, that would be civil war. And I agree, that will be hard to get away from. Grin

Henry VII after all might have been more appropriate,

But what about your Yorkist sympathies. Henry VII only married into the House of York.

if it weren't for the fact that his son and grandkids were so awful. Tongue

Grandkids? Elizabeth made England into a world power. Surely, you are not violating the cardinal rule of imposing modern values onto historical figures. Plus Edward has to answer for his brother. His brother was Richard III, right? My memory is failing me right now.

For a variety of reasons though, I think Edward and the White Rose suit you, if it is not clear now then perhaps later on. Wink
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #320 on: July 10, 2014, 12:00:09 PM »

What is the problem with debating foreign policy? It seems a lot of people are just interested on domestic policy and nothing more, xD

In all seriousness, that is certainly a good idea from the President, and I will await for the text to see if we can finally get this passed.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #321 on: July 10, 2014, 12:08:55 PM »

Well, I have obviously not read the 11 first pages of the thread Tongue.

I guess I haven't missed any amendment made by a senator?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #322 on: July 10, 2014, 12:11:02 PM »

What are we hung up on? Why does it need to be taken and re-written?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #323 on: July 12, 2014, 07:09:03 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #324 on: July 12, 2014, 08:38:00 AM »

King Edward thanks thee, Yankee! Tongue

That will get my undivided attention today.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies