Does this forum have a tendency to feign outrage over trivial things?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:19:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Does this forum have a tendency to feign outrage over trivial things?  (Read 3283 times)
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2014, 11:12:03 AM »
« edited: April 14, 2014, 11:14:00 AM by Paul Kemp »

I suppose I'll comment on this, as I admittedly do tend to lurk despite not really intending to post much any more (although I never "contributed" much any way...). I don't necessarily believe that I owe an explanation to anyone, especially a few forum members in this very thread who I'm not even familiar with, but I'll just give some background on my thinking in regards to that post and the state of the forum, which has been a part of my life on-and-off for a long time and there are some here I could consider "friends."

First of all, what an odd thread this is in of itself. I find it to be a bit more bizarre than my post is.

My post wasn't necessarily "outrage." Really it was more about me and my place on this forum. It was the culmination of a build-up of things that have made me feel like I've outgrown the forum - not in a sense of maturity or anything like that but outgrown in the sense of that I've moved on from being actually interested in what brought me to this forum in the first place. When I look at things I'm interested in or "into" now, politics probably isn't even in the top 10. Because of this, I've decided that I should spend more of my time focusing my places where I have more in common with my surroundings and places that actually enjoy the same stuff I do.

That post came from a place of disconnect. When I saw Silver was moving back to sports rather than focusing only on politics, my response was that it was pretty cool for him to return to what he loves. Some of the posts in that thread seemed to indicate (although admittedly, they seem pretty benign now) that Silver in a way was selling out or focusing on something that's not very "important," ignoring the fact that perhaps those things are more important to him than politics. I saw a bit of myself in Silver there in relation to the forum. I guess I was a bit frustrated that some here would expect the guy to eat, breathe, and sleep politics (although I suppose that should be expected on a political mapmaking forum) and not his own interests.

So whatever. To be honest, that post was more of an opportunity to use that excellent .gif I found. I had intended to cut down on posting here before that. In retrospect, I probably just shouldn't have posted anything because who cares really? Of course, most of my posts could be lumped into that category.

I don't know. I'm sure I'll end up posting more again in the future , especially as elections get closer and maybe my interest in politics goes back to what it once was. Who knows, maybe I'll do it sooner than expected or maybe this is the start of me "posting again" but for now though, I'm just gonna do my own thing. I'll check back in and read every now and then.

As a last thing, anyone that thinks I was/am trying to look "cool" by not caring about politics or whatever clearly knows very little about me or my interests... as most cannot be described as "cool."
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2014, 12:15:44 PM »

Your post has been reported to the moderator.  I should add that this is the second time (at least) you've crossed the line with comparing a completely trivial matter to the Nazis.  The last time you deleted the post and offered a predictably insincere apology (as seems to be your custom).  I swear you're like a B-movie version of BushOklahoma (I know at some level you are probably proud to be called that, but that's only because your world revolves around how a handful of forumites perceive you and your lack of any self-awareness causes you to warp any criticism into another reason not to change your behavior).  Class, welcome to Snowstalkering 101:

Step 1. *Does something obnoxious, stupid, bigoted, etc* in a desperate and incredibly obvious plea for attention and/or a pat on the head from Lief and friends.

Step 2. Someone calls you out on it, often insulting you in the process. 

Step 3.  Make an insincere, completely bull-s[Inks] "apology"/announcement about taking time off (i.e. a couple of days)/promise to never do it again/etc.

Step 4. Convince yourself that people really find you and your schtick endearing in a derpy sort of way (in fact pretty much everyone was sick of it quite some time ago).

Step 5. Ignore any advice or constructive criticism.

Step 6. Start over again at step one with the slightest of variations and a tweaked "persona" (even though your true Snowstalkering persona never changes).

Your test is on friday, but if you look over Snowstalker's latest posts; you shouldn't have much trouble with the material.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2014, 01:12:54 PM »

Your post has been reported to the moderator.  I should add that this is the second time (at least) you've crossed the line with comparing a completely trivial matter to the Nazis.  The last time you deleted the post and offered a predictably insincere apology (as seems to be your custom).  I swear you're like a B-movie version of BushOklahoma (I know at some level you are probably proud to be called that, but that's only because your world revolves around how a handful of forumites perceive you and your lack of any self-awareness causes you to warp any criticism into another reason not to change your behavior).  Class, welcome to Snowstalkering 101:

Step 1. *Does something obnoxious, stupid, bigoted, etc* in a desperate and incredibly obvious plea for attention and/or a pat on the head from Lief and friends.

Step 2. Someone calls you out on it, often insulting you in the process. 

Step 3.  Make an insincere, completely bull-s[Inks] "apology"/announcement about taking time off (i.e. a couple of days)/promise to never do it again/etc.

Step 4. Convince yourself that people really find you and your schtick endearing in a derpy sort of way (in fact pretty much everyone was sick of it quite some time ago).

Step 5. Ignore any advice or constructive criticism.

Step 6. Start over again at step one with the slightest of variations and a tweaked "persona" (even though your true Snowstalkering persona never changes).

Your test is on friday, but if you look over Snowstalker's latest posts; you shouldn't have much trouble with the material.

I'm glad you agree that comparing Torie and Inks to Hitler and Mussolini because King was muted for drunk posting is an example of you feigning outrage of over something trivial Smiley
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2014, 03:10:27 PM »

Really what's repulsive is the attitude that anything other than politics is somehow unworthy.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2014, 03:12:58 PM »

I was going to give a long post justifying my stated opinions but in reality pkemp has already summed it up. Reading that thread it came across that people thought Nate Silver was demoting himself to 'irrelevancies' like sports rather than 'the high world' of politics, an attitude which I find absurdly pretentious and self-serving. Silver is clearly more interested in sports than political horse-racing and I don't think that's a problem given that what Silver specialized was horse-race analysis of political contests (i.e. treating them like they were Sports). Of course, this forum frequently can't tell the difference.

That thread also had two pbrower posts in it, and that always indicates a bad thread.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2014, 03:16:59 PM »

I am outraged by this thread
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2014, 03:28:04 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2014, 03:31:13 PM by a combination of tumblr leftism and moshing »

The clarification makes a bit more sense but honestly the only guy in it who really was acting that way is the guy who thinks marijuana is some type of horrific drug and plague amongst the populace, and is usually taken about as seriously as someone of that nature should be and usually is. Simply being disappointed that Silver's primary focus isn't going to be politics anymore isn't accusing him of "selling out" and is an expected reaction on a political forum. I'm sure baseball fans who knew about him before his political stuff who couldn't care less about politics had the same reaction once that became the main thing he wrote about.

As for pbrower I have him completely tuned out. I don't have him on ignore, but he might as well be, I have a natural reaction to just completely skip his posts and forget he even posted. So I basically forgot he posted in that thread 30 seconds after reading it.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2014, 06:41:47 PM »

Really what's repulsive is the attitude that anything other than politics is somehow unworthy.

Very true.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2015, 09:07:22 AM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=207782.0
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2015, 09:11:19 AM »

I guess this thread is worse than the 50 threads you've made about why metal music is the worst thing in the world.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2015, 09:53:09 AM »

BRTD called someone else pretentious? If I posted stuff in mines I'd post that one.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2015, 09:53:15 AM »

I don't think anyone is feigning anything, unfortunately.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2015, 10:46:05 AM »

Now I wouldn't go that far.  But seriously you guys kinda need to chill the help down about some things.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2015, 11:22:43 AM »

Absolutely.  I do it once in a while myself.  It's a fine art and I'm still attempting to perfect the technique, but I admire those who have mastered it.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2015, 11:51:51 AM »

Yes, I think so. I have been reading posts on this forum for four years now and I'm still baffled when I see that most users don't seem to mind abrasive or downright rude attacks and insults on other posters while being fixated on and taking offense at very minor things.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2015, 11:54:41 AM »

Yes, I think so. I have been reading posts on this forum for four years now and I'm still baffled when I see that most users don't seem to mind abrasive or downright rude attacks and insults on other posters while being fixated on and taking offense at very minor things.

^this, and yet

I don't think anyone is feigning anything, unfortunately.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2015, 03:14:07 PM »

Now I wouldn't go that far.  But seriously you guys kinda need to chill the help down about some things.

I'm done posting in that thread. I think I've said all that I can possibly say on the topic.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2015, 03:29:19 PM »

No. The triviality is entirely real, but so is the outrage.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2015, 08:32:20 PM »

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2016, 07:08:15 PM »

OMG ADULTS ARE PLAYING A VIDEO GAME!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2016, 05:42:47 AM »

Atlas posters love hyperbole. There's not much beyond that.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2016, 08:12:59 AM »

Wow, that original thread is pretty brutal. I would've never started posting if I saw that in my first month.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2016, 08:19:59 AM »

Wow, that original thread is pretty brutal. I would've never started posting if I saw that in my first month.

You're not too late to stop.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2016, 08:21:40 AM »

You're not too late to stop.

You used to be so nice. I don't know what happened.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2016, 05:10:20 PM »

You need to work on your reading comprehension.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies