NH close to becoming 19th state to abolish the death penalty
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:32:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NH close to becoming 19th state to abolish the death penalty
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: NH close to becoming 19th state to abolish the death penalty  (Read 3251 times)
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2014, 07:06:27 AM »

When is the Senate vote being held?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2014, 07:23:43 AM »

Does NH even have a prison? Tongue. It seems like such a non violent, peaceful state.

Of course! Where do you think the "Live Free or Die" license plates are made?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2014, 08:09:00 AM »

This thread almost borders on trolling if you believe Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_New_Hampshire#List_of_individuals_executed

None since 1939?  They've already abolished it.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2014, 08:20:24 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_New_Hampshire#List_of_individuals_executed

Not quite.  They do have one person on their death row.  The lack is a combination of being a small state and because they have a fairly restrictive list of circumstances that make a murderer eligible for the death penalty.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2014, 08:27:53 AM »

Totally unrelated:

NH has a House with 400 members ?

In a state with only 1 Mio. people ?

Tongue

The NH House has more members than a majority of sovereign countries:  http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_legislatures_by_number_of_members

Each member is paid only $200 for the entire two-year session.

A model state in so many regards......

Imagine if this system was implemented at the federal level?

Only wealthy people could go in politics?
The State HoR is a part-time job, congressman isn't.

Make congressman work part time, force them to get jobs back home. The Swiss do it that way in fact.

The political power of USA and Switzerland isn't similar, through.

The Swiss federal model is an imitation of the US system of about 1815. It's not the other way around.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2014, 08:37:30 AM »

Not quite.  They do have one person on their death row.  The lack is a combination of being a small state and because they have a fairly restrictive list of circumstances that make a murderer eligible for the death penalty.

Ok, they have effectively abolished it.   That guy will die waiting on death row before they strap  him down on the gurney.
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2014, 04:13:02 PM »

Thursday
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2014, 04:23:33 PM »

Thanks.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2014, 12:35:51 AM »

The vote has failed, 12-12. Senators Sam Cataldo and Bob Odell voted for repeal with the Democrats, and Lou D'Allessandro crossed to vote against repeal. There is no tiebreaker in the NH Senate, so the bill is dead.

I'm more concerned about the Senate President refusing to bring the decriminalization bill to the floor myself.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2014, 01:03:40 AM »

The pattern is different in that abolition of capital punishment has been historically much more of an Upper Midwestern thing.  MI, MN, and WI, along with Maine, have all been death penalty free for over a century. Then AK and HI didn't have it when they joined the union.  The death penalty then left New England - except NH. It's still legal in the West Coast states, but moratoriums have been issued in the past few years. 

It's a shame the vote didn't go through in NH, but it seems like NH has something close to de facto abolition in any case. There haven't been any executions there in over 70 years, so I think it can be abolished altogether in the next few years, before the one person on death row now is in any danger of execution.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2014, 11:27:48 AM »

The vote has failed, 12-12. Senators Sam Cataldo and Bob Odell voted for repeal with the Democrats, and Lou D'Allessandro crossed to vote against repeal. There is no tiebreaker in the NH Senate, so the bill is dead.

I'm more concerned about the Senate President refusing to bring the decriminalization bill to the floor myself.

Right, because decriminalizing marijuana is clearly more important than making sure people who are wrongly convicted don't get executed for crimes they didn't commit Roll Eyes
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2014, 11:43:44 AM »

Yeah, I've already speculated that they don't have the balls to abolish it.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2014, 11:47:30 AM »

Right, because decriminalizing marijuana is clearly more important than making sure people who are wrongly convicted don't get executed for crimes they didn't commit Roll Eyes

I think it is fairly safe to say that the one person on New Hampshire's death point (a row needs at least two people) was rightly convicted of crimes he did commit.  Heck, the guy confessed to doing it and there was a slew of forensic evidence and eyewitnesses.  The only thing the defense contested was whether it was first degree murder or second degree murder.

New Hampshire is not Texas.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2014, 12:20:05 PM »

Okay, you have absolutely no room to condescend to me. I'm pretty sure I know how my state works better than you.

Ernest explained most of it already, but the death penalty is all but repealed here in NH. Texas has executed more people this year than we have in the 20th century.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2014, 12:57:38 PM »

Okay, you have absolutely no room to condescend to me. I'm pretty sure I know how my state works better than you.

Ernest explained most of it already, but the death penalty is all but repealed here in NH. Texas has executed more people this year than we have in the 20th century.
You're comparying New Hampshire to Texas, you know the state which has executed a handicaped recently. It's like saying "Franco wasn't that bad because he killed much less people than Hitler".
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2014, 01:02:54 PM »

You're comparying New Hampshire to Texas, you know the state which has executed a handicaped recently. It's like saying "Franco wasn't that bad because he killed much less people than Hitler".

Still a good comparison. The last execution happened in 1939, so it's not even like it's that recent.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2014, 01:18:18 PM »

You're comparing New Hampshire to Texas, you know the state which has executed a handicapped recently. It's like saying "Franco wasn't that bad because he killed much less people than Hitler".

Your argument wasn't that it was bad for states to execute people, but that it was wrong for states to wrongfully execute people.  There's absolutely no evidence that New Hampshire will be doing that anytime soon even if it doesn't abolish its limited death penalty statute.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2014, 02:05:27 PM »

You're comparing New Hampshire to Texas, you know the state which has executed a handicapped recently. It's like saying "Franco wasn't that bad because he killed much less people than Hitler".

Your argument wasn't that it was bad for states to execute people, but that it was wrong for states to wrongfully execute people.  There's absolutely no evidence that New Hampshire will be doing that anytime soon even if it doesn't abolish its limited death penalty statute.

Regardless, the right to life is the most fundemental civil right. To think that it's more important to legalise a drug than potentially saving lives is beyond callous.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2014, 02:14:42 PM »

Regardless, the right to life is the most fundemental civil right. To think that it's more important to legalise a drug than potentially saving lives is beyond callous.

The bill wouldn't have nullified the sentence of the one guy on death row. There are no lives to be saved. The death penalty is irrelevant in the state of New Hampshire. Is it that hard to understand?

Actually, I'd argue that keeping marijuana criminalized destroys more lives in the state than the death penalty.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2014, 04:51:58 PM »

Upsetting.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2014, 05:20:08 PM »

Upsetting.

To make things worse for future repeal, one of the two Republicans who voted it down is retiring.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2014, 05:21:22 PM »

Upsetting.

To make things worse for future repeal, one of the two Republicans who voted it down is retiring.

Oh so it was a 'I can probably get away with it' vote. *grumbles*
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2014, 06:37:26 PM »

Upsetting.

Not necessarily. Odell has been very socially moderate over his tenure - he's so firmly pro-choice that he earned NARAL's endorsement, and he may very well have evolved on marriage (like another State Senator) as well.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2014, 07:04:39 PM »

Upsetting.

Not necessarily. Odell has been very socially moderate over his tenure - he's so firmly pro-choice that he earned NARAL's endorsement, and he may very well have evolved on marriage (like another State Senator) as well.

Hmm. Interesting.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2014, 02:44:16 AM »

Ours was a month ago Sad

And of course Scott approved legislation to speed up the capital punishment process. What a prick.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies