NH close to becoming 19th state to abolish the death penalty
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:54:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NH close to becoming 19th state to abolish the death penalty
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: NH close to becoming 19th state to abolish the death penalty  (Read 3238 times)
Hifly
hifly15

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2014, 04:18:07 AM »
« edited: April 19, 2014, 04:20:24 AM by Hifly »

The vote has failed, 12-12. Senators Sam Cataldo and Bob Odell voted for repeal with the Democrats, and Lou D'Allessandro crossed to vote against repeal. There is no tiebreaker in the NH Senate, so the bill is dead.

I'm more concerned about the Senate President refusing to bring the decriminalization bill to the floor myself.

Right, because decriminalizing marijuana is clearly more important than making sure people who are wrongly convicted don't get executed for crimes they didn't commit Roll Eyes

Okay, you have absolutely no room to condescend to me. I'm pretty sure I know how my state works better than you.

Ernest explained most of it already, but the death penalty is all but repealed here in NH. Texas has executed more people this year than we have in the 20th century.
You're comparing New Hampshire to Texas, you know the state which has executed a handicapped recently. It's like saying "Franco wasn't that bad because he killed much less people than Hitler".

Your argument wasn't that it was bad for states to execute people, but that it was wrong for states to wrongfully execute people.  There's absolutely no evidence that New Hampshire will be doing that anytime soon even if it doesn't abolish its limited death penalty statute.

Regardless, the right to life is the most fundemental civil right. To think that it's more important to legalise a drug than potentially saving lives is beyond callous.

The bill wouldn't have nullified the sentence of the one guy on death row. There are no lives to be saved. The death penalty is irrelevant in the state of New Hampshire. Is it that hard to understand?

Actually, I'd argue that keeping marijuana criminalized destroys more lives in the state than the death penalty.

To prevent another human being from being sentenced to die in New Hampshire is a more just cause than legalising an intoxicating drug that can cause harm to yourself. It's a democratic cause.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2014, 11:17:16 AM »
« Edited: April 19, 2014, 12:25:37 PM by Victorino Emanuel Ramirez III »

The vote has failed, 12-12. Senators Sam Cataldo and Bob Odell voted for repeal with the Democrats, and Lou D'Allessandro crossed to vote against repeal. There is no tiebreaker in the NH Senate, so the bill is dead.

I'm more concerned about the Senate President refusing to bring the decriminalization bill to the floor myself.

Right, because decriminalizing marijuana is clearly more important than making sure people who are wrongly convicted don't get executed for crimes they didn't commit Roll Eyes

Okay, you have absolutely no room to condescend to me. I'm pretty sure I know how my state works better than you.

Ernest explained most of it already, but the death penalty is all but repealed here in NH. Texas has executed more people this year than we have in the 20th century.
You're comparing New Hampshire to Texas, you know the state which has executed a handicapped recently. It's like saying "Franco wasn't that bad because he killed much less people than Hitler".

Your argument wasn't that it was bad for states to execute people, but that it was wrong for states to wrongfully execute people.  There's absolutely no evidence that New Hampshire will be doing that anytime soon even if it doesn't abolish its limited death penalty statute.

Regardless, the right to life is the most fundemental civil right. To think that it's more important to legalise a drug than potentially saving lives is beyond callous.

The bill wouldn't have nullified the sentence of the one guy on death row. There are no lives to be saved. The death penalty is irrelevant in the state of New Hampshire. Is it that hard to understand?

Actually, I'd argue that keeping marijuana criminalized destroys more lives in the state than the death penalty.

To prevent another human being from being sentenced to die in New Hampshire is a more just cause than legalising an intoxicating drug that can cause harm to yourself. It's a democratic cause.

60% of voters think weed should be completely legalized, so I would bet that a solid 70% support decriminalization. I'm pretty sure you're smart enough to know that defying the will of the people is not a democratic cause.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2014, 11:22:59 AM »

I made a horrible mistake today clicking on this thread
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2014, 02:36:08 PM »

Your argument wasn't that it was bad for states to execute people, but that it was wrong for states to wrongfully execute people.  There's absolutely no evidence that New Hampshire will be doing that anytime soon even if it doesn't abolish its limited death penalty statute.

The War on Drugs has killed more people in the last twenty years than the death penalty has in the last seventy.  Do some research.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2014, 09:38:14 PM »

Yes, clearly ensuring that a future potential mass murderer is not given what they deserve is more paramount of a concern than the thousands of lives that get destroyed every year due to the War on Drugs.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2014, 10:05:17 PM »

Yes, clearly ensuring that a future potential mass murderer is not given what they deserve is more paramount of a concern than the thousands of lives that get destroyed every year due to the War on Drugs.
Actually, mass murder does not qualify one for the death penalty in New Hampshire, tho that commonly is something that qualifies one for the punishment in many jurisdictions that have the death penalty.  Most serial killers would qualify as they typically kidnap and/or sexually assault their victims first, but if someone were to do as the Beltway sniper or as the Sandy Hook shooter did then they would not be eligible for the death penalty in New Hampshire.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2014, 08:54:44 PM »

While Ernest already took most of the words all of my mouth, it's also worth noting that a white cop killer, Gordon Perry, in 1997 was offered a plea deal to avoid the death penalty. Michael Addison, the black man who killed a police officer, had his request denied and was sentenced to death.

Clearly race wasn't a factor, right?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2014, 09:19:26 PM »

While Ernest already took most of the words all of my mouth, it's also worth noting that a white cop killer, Gordon Perry, in 1997 was offered a plea deal to avoid the death penalty. Michael Addison, the black man who killed a police officer, had his request denied and was sentenced to death.

Of course not.  Racism only occurs in the South.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2014, 10:04:31 PM »

Of course not.  Racism only occurs in the South.

And the person leading the charge to pursue the death penalty? Some woman named Kelly Ayotte.

Quite a moderate indeed.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2014, 05:13:03 AM »

The War on Drugs has killed more people in the last twenty years than the death penalty has in the last seventy.  Do some research.

We're talking about legalising marijuana, not the loose "War on Drugs" (and while we're on "drugs", do you understand how many more people have accidentally died from overdosing vs the death penalty?). Also, how many people have died in New Hampshire as a result of the "War on Drugs"?

On the subject of marijuana, if nobody has died in New Hampshire from its usage, then more people have died as a result of the death penalty and thus its abolition is naturally vital.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2014, 05:18:07 AM »

No one in New Hampshire in the modern era has died from either marijuana use or the death penalty.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2014, 05:38:20 AM »

The War on Drugs has killed more people in the last twenty years than the death penalty has in the last seventy.  Do some research.

We're talking about legalising marijuana, not the loose "War on Drugs" (and while we're on "drugs", do you understand how many more people have accidentally died from overdosing vs the death penalty?). Also, how many people have died in New Hampshire as a result of the "War on Drugs"?

On the subject of marijuana, if nobody has died in New Hampshire from its usage, then more people have died as a result of the death penalty and thus its abolition is naturally vital.

Irrelevant. I am talking about decrim, not legalization. There's a difference, and that's that there is a bill that makes possession of small amounts of weed amount to a traffic ticket, and one man who doesn't think it's a good idea refuses to let it go to committee.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2014, 10:22:32 AM »

Meanwhile, it scares me that I agree with the Okies more than the NH crowd......these two will be executed on the same day....their crimes are in the last paragraph.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies