In which region do Kansas, Nebraska, & the Dakotas fit?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:53:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  In which region do Kansas, Nebraska, & the Dakotas fit?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Midwest

West

Neither/both equally

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 67

Author Topic: In which region do Kansas, Nebraska, & the Dakotas fit?  (Read 2773 times)
Tieteobserver
Rookie
Brazil

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2014, 02:11:17 PM »

Funny that the three most Midwestern states according to that are all next to each other alphabetically.

This is what I consider the Midwest:

Dark Green:  Solidly Midwestern
Medium Green:  Mostly Midwestern
Light Green:  Not Midwestern, but with some Midwestern influence

Nice map. Only changes I'd make: MO and OH, to me, are solidly Mid-western too, in spite of a somewhat strong Southern influence on the former.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2014, 06:14:44 PM »

It also links to:

Which States Are in the South?

Which suggests that Missouri is like the kid picked for dodgeball.

What they didn't test for was self-identification on a local basis.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2014, 06:18:37 PM »

I would draw the present-day South/West line along I-35.  Each of the major cities along I-35 was once clearly Southern but is now ambiguous in a Northern Virginia kind of way.  However, go an hour east of I-35 and it clearly feels like the South.
Or as Will Rogers observed, "Fort Worth is where the West begins and Dallas is where the East peters out."
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2014, 07:34:28 PM »

Silly geese.

Texas is not the South!

There are even some parts of Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia that aren't the South!  Tongue
illegaloperation

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2014, 11:51:39 AM »

Neither.

They are the great plains states
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2014, 06:50:12 PM »

Midwest. I find it odd when people consider them part of the West.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2014, 09:21:02 PM »

The Midwest does seem to be of an odd category, combining both "the prairies" and the industrial heartland.  In Canada these are seen as very distinctively different regions.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2014, 09:36:51 PM »

The Midwest does seem to be of an odd category, combining both "the prairies" and the industrial heartland.  In Canada these are seen as very distinctively different regions.

In Nine Nations of North America, Joel Garreau made the same observation. The plains states were part of the Breadbasket, but most of the Great Lakes states were part of the Foundry. He extended into Canada matching your experience there.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2014, 09:41:38 PM »

Though in Canada there is a big gap between the areas.  In the USA one could drive from Cleveland to Omaha and gradually transition.  In Canada, a drive from Hamilton to Winnipeg would cross 100s of miles of low-habitation areas.

And Buffalo would hardly be considered a midwestern city, and Hamilton and Toronto are as far east.  This would leave places like Kitchener and Sarnia as the equivalents of the industrial parts of the US Midwest.  So in Canada, the industrial area stops at around Ohio.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2014, 10:05:16 PM »

Though in Canada there is a big gap between the areas.  In the USA one could drive from Cleveland to Omaha and gradually transition.  In Canada, a drive from Hamilton to Winnipeg would cross 100s of miles of low-habitation areas.

And Buffalo would hardly be considered a midwestern city, and Hamilton and Toronto are as far east.  This would leave places like Kitchener and Sarnia as the equivalents of the industrial parts of the US Midwest.  So in Canada, the industrial area stops at around Ohio.

Lake Superior acts like an odd gulf between the farmland of the plains and the industrial east. Its economy is based on forestry and mining whether one is in Thunder Bay on the north, Duluth on the west or Marquette on the south. The divide matters in Canada, but not so much in the US where industry transitions smoothly to agricultural cities in IL.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2014, 10:23:29 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2014, 10:38:08 PM by King of Kensington »

Though in Canada there is a big gap between the areas.  In the USA one could drive from Cleveland to Omaha and gradually transition.  In Canada, a drive from Hamilton to Winnipeg would cross 100s of miles of low-habitation areas.

And Buffalo would hardly be considered a midwestern city, and Hamilton and Toronto are as far east.  This would leave places like Kitchener and Sarnia as the equivalents of the industrial parts of the US Midwest.  So in Canada, the industrial area stops at around Ohio.

Yes, good point.  The industrial heartland runs in both the Midwest and Northeast and Lake Ontario is entirely in the "Northeast."  I think Ontario would be considered part of the Northeast if it were part of the US.

ETA: Agreed the east-west divide is sharper in Canada.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2014, 10:42:13 PM »

Yes, good point.  The industrial heartland runs in both the Midwest and Northeast and Lake Ontario is entirely in the "Northeast."  I think Ontario would be considered part of the Northeast if it were part of the US.
If the Maritimes were added, then you might have a 10-state Northeast: NL, PE, NB, NS, ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT.

A 7-state East (QC, ON, NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD. DC)

Midwest would be 5 states: OH, IN, IL. MI, WI

Prairies would be SK, MB, ND, SD, MN, NE, IA, KS, MO, OK

(The USPS made Nebraska NE to avoid a conflict with NB, though now it is confused with NV).

Mountain AB, MT, ID, WY, UT, CO, NM, AZ, NE

Pacific BC, WA, OR, CA, HI

North AK, YT, NT, NU

South Atlantic: WV, VA, NC, SC, GA, FL, PR

South: KY, TN, AL, MS, LA, AR

Texas: TX
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2014, 01:49:42 PM »

http://www.hourdetroit.com/Hour-Detroit/September-2008/The-Meaning-of-Midwest/#.U3z0mC9U2SM
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2014, 06:10:39 AM »

Now does Saskatchewan fall more in with the West or Midwest?
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2014, 01:43:48 PM »

Now does Saskatchewan fall more in with the West or Midwest?

The West in Canada and the West in the United States are simply non-parallel concepts
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2014, 02:05:37 PM »

I've always thought of them as part of the West. It makes infinitely more sense politically.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2014, 07:30:20 AM »

I've always thought of them as part of the West. It makes infinitely more sense politically.

There are only two parties, so groupings based on politics could place together areas that are generally unlike except for their politics - for example one wouldn't treat AR and MT the same despite similar political leanings. The High Plains states may vote like the Rocky Mountain states, but economically and culturally they are mostly not part of the West.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies