Do you support the death penalty?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:22:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you support the death penalty?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: ?
Yes (D)

Yes (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (D)

No (R)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 87

Author Topic: Do you support the death penalty?  (Read 5224 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 12, 2014, 02:05:29 PM »

No (D)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 02:08:43 PM »

no (not a right wing democrat)
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 02:14:55 PM »

No.

Yes you are.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 02:15:36 PM »

I’m a huge flip flopper on this issue, to be honest. I question the moral justification of the death penalty, and the states right to end the life of one of its citizens, but I also think that 99.99% of those executed in the last twenty years deserved it. I also had a relative who was murdered in a home invasion in 2011, which is a personal bias.

Since I’m pro-life, I should be anti-death penalty. So, I’m against it but I don’t bother to care about the issue at all and have no sympathy for those who are executed.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 02:17:10 PM »

I’m a huge flip flopper on this issue, to be honest. I question the moral justification of the death penalty, and the states right to end the life of one of its citizens, but I also think that 99.99% of those executed in the last twenty years deserved it. I also had a relative who was murdered in a home invasion in 2011, which is a personal bias.
What exactly are you basing this on?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 02:17:27 PM »

Definitely not.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 02:20:53 PM »

Empirical data. Like I said, I really don't care about the issue, and IIRC, only 30-40 people out of the thousands of people executed in the United States were of questionable guilt. Only five of them have been completely exonerated. Obviously that is the fault of the justice system in general and not the act of execution.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 02:24:18 PM »

Empirical data. Like I said, I really don't care about the issue, and IIRC, only 30-40 people out of the thousands of people executed in the United States were of questionable guilt. Only five of them have been completely exonerated. Obviously that is the fault of the justice system in general and not the act of execution.

What the hell?

"Ok some innocent people were accidentally executed… but hey the death penalty worked, they died!"
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 02:25:29 PM »

What the hell?

"Ok some innocent people were accidentally executed… but hey the death penalty worked, they died!"
Can you read? If people are found guilty when they are innocent, it is the fault of the justice system. The executioners chair does not put on black robes and bangs a gabble.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 02:28:09 PM »

Yes and we should replace the chair with the noose.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 02:36:35 PM »

What the hell?

Can you read? If people are found guilty when they are innocent, it is the fault of the justice system. The executioners chair does not put on black robes and bangs a gabble.

Well that's silly. If the death penalty is to be accepted, then so must be accepted the unintended consequences that come with it.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 02:38:11 PM »

The chair is hardly used anymore.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 02:53:23 PM »

Yes (D). Most people who get it deserve it. However, I do think it should only be used when there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that they are guilty.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 02:57:02 PM »

No.

If the death penalty is required, it will be handled at the scene of the crime, while the perpetrator is still holding deadly weapons or posing imminent deadly threat to the community.

Death penalty is not required when someone has been subdued, cuffed, and incarcerated.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 02:59:17 PM »

Same answer as the last 2 dozen times asked, no.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2014, 03:15:32 PM »

What the hell?

Well that's silly. If the death penalty is to be accepted, then so must be accepted the unintended consequences that come with it.
Then in that case, the merits of the death penalty outweigh the bad.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2014, 03:16:47 PM »

What the hell?

Then in that case, the merits of the death penalty outweigh the bad.
...which are?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2014, 03:17:33 PM »

No
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2014, 03:19:22 PM »

I'm not sure where you get 99.99%.  The remainder would be 1 in 10,000.  There have less than 5,000 executions in the US in the last 20 years.

30-40 people of questionable guilt?  Still way too much.  There is no justification to risk executing a single innocent person.  Sure, it's the fault of the justice system, but the justice system should not have the authority to kill people.  The justice system can never be perfect.

I don't see how anyone could support the death penalty after reading this.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/03/12/after-nearly-30-years-on-death-row-glenn-ford-is-exonerated-and-free/
This is the victim of the corrupt justice system.  Innocent people can be executed because of corrupt police officers who know their innocence, and because of judges liking to appear "tough" for political purposes.

Many consider the human capacity for evil as a justification for harsh authority.  The problem is, people with authority can also be evil.  Human society will never be perfect enough to precisely determine who deserves to live and who deserves to die.  There should be punishment for lawbreaking, and the risk of punishing the innocent is unavoidable.  However, the negative effects of the imperfect justice system can at least be moderated by nixing the right of society impose death sentences.  Life imprisonment is appropriate for the very worst crimes.  It's harsh, but at least the wrongly convicted would have the rest of their lives to prove their innocence (and it would also be easier on the convicts' families).

I personally think some people deserve to die, but I have no faith in society to make accurate determinations on who does deserve death.  Occasionally, I hear about horrific cases that cause my emotional side to want the disgusting criminals dead, but then I remind myself that allowing even the worst of the worst to live is necessary to prevent the justice system from committing the ultimate injustice against an innocent person.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2014, 03:24:13 PM »

I have always been proud that the State of Wisconsin has never had the death penalty.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2014, 03:25:44 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2014, 03:29:39 PM by National Progressive »

Yes (D). Most people who get it deserve it. However, I do think it should only be used when there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that they are guilty.

That said, I'd prefer a total abolishment of capital punishment in the US over the system we have now.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2014, 03:26:12 PM »

Huh. I didn't think I'd disagree with you on this issue, but so be it.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2014, 03:29:19 PM »

No.

Budget hawk? Wink

I think Nebraska is the only state that still uses the electric chair, although I did hear about one guy in Virginia who chose the chair over lethal injection.  Why anyone would want that instead of lethal injection is beyond me.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2014, 03:35:21 PM »

No, obviously.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2014, 03:38:42 PM »

I think Nebraska is the only state that still uses the electric chair, although I did hear about one guy in Virginia who chose the chair over lethal injection.  Why anyone would want that instead of lethal injection is beyond me.

Attention.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies