Election 2008: Russell Feingold vs. Mark Sanford
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:36:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Election 2008: Russell Feingold vs. Mark Sanford
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Whom would you vote for?
Democrat -Feingold/Warner

Democrat - Sanford/Allen

Republican -Feingold/Warner

Republican -Sanford/Allen

independent/third party -Feingold/Warner

independent/third party -Sanford/Allen

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Election 2008: Russell Feingold vs. Mark Sanford  (Read 1155 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 27, 2005, 10:49:18 PM »
« edited: March 28, 2005, 01:35:42 AM by Frodo »

in a continuation of my earlier thread comparing how well Feingold would do against Jeb Bush, i am curious to see how well he would do against Mark Sanford should the two dark horses be nominated by their respective parties.  as always, i want maps....

consider this scenario:

as before, let's suppose that at the 2008 Democratic National Convention, Wisconsin Senator Russell Feingold and his running mate former Virginia governor Mark Warner are nominated on the Democratic Party ticket, while the Republicans nominate South Carolina governor Mark Sanford instead of former Florida governor Jeb Bush.  Sanford in turn nominates Virginia Senator George Allen as his vice-presidential running mate. 

with Bush's scheme to partially privatize Social Security in shambles, and a growing backlash among libertarian-minded voters against the national Republican Party for terminally high budget deficits, as well as a result of the Terry Schiavo case, including a sluggish economy, rising oil prices, a slowly improving situation in Iraq, and so on, how would the two tickets fare against each other in a head-to-head contest?   

keep in mind, the ticket i have chosen for the Republicans is an entirely southern ticket, reflecting the final conquest of the Republican Party by the (white) South, and its irrevocable identification with the region and its culture.  how this would reflect on their efforts to maintain themselves as a national party, and not purely as a regional one, is a dynamic i am interested in exploring here.     
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

here's the link to the related thread i mentioned if anyone is interested:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=18092.0
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 10:53:40 PM »

I think Feingold/Warner win the Kerry states + Iowa + Ohio + NM +NV

Florida might be close.
If Warner was  the only Virginian running, Virginia might be close.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 11:38:28 PM »

Feingold.  I think the GOP would have a very hard time defeating Feingold.  Their are hardly any GOP candidates (who have the chance of getting the nomination) that can match Feingold's charisma, and that is something that is very underrated when it comes down to Presidential candidates
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 01:22:45 AM »

to all: would there be any difference in the result of a general election if the Republicans ran Mark Sanford instead of Jeb Bush against Russ Feingold in 2008?  it would seem to me that if they want to get someone on the ticket whose last name is not Bush, and yet is a solid enough candidate to not only win their party's nomination but also the general election, Mark Sanford would be their man.  he seems more popular among Democrats and independents -at least here on Atlas Forum that is, and maybe out in the real world as well- and would counteract any Bush fatigue effect that could result from eight years under Bush 43.   
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 01:42:38 AM »

to all: would there be any difference in the result of a general election if the Republicans ran Mark Sanford instead of Jeb Bush against Russ Feingold in 2008?  it would seem to me that if they want to get someone on the ticket whose last name is not Bush, and yet is a solid enough candidate to not only win their party's nomination but also the general election, Mark Sanford would be their man.  he seems more popular among Democrats and independents -at least here on Atlas Forum that is, and maybe out in the real world as well- and would counteract any Bush fatigue effect that could result from eight years under Bush 43.   

Jeb would probably sure up Florida for the GOP, againstr Sanford Feingold would probably take Florida due to the Jewish vote
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 01:49:09 AM »

The race is very close:

Feingold's populism and Wisconsin background buoy him in the Midwest, giving him solid victories in the battleground states of Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan; he also squeaks out a narrow win in Iowa. He runs ahead of Kerry in almost every Northeastern state; however, he loses New Hampshire, where Sanford's fairly libertarian views resonate.

The South votes staunchly Republican as in 2004, although with reduced margins (except in Sanford's home state of South Carolina, where he gets over 60 percent).

The Rocky Mountains and Great Plains also vote solidly Republican. The GOP wins with smaller margins than 2004, except in the battlegrounds of Nevada and New Mexico, which actually give Sanford higher percentages than Bush received.

Feingold wins solid victories on the West Coast and in Hawaii.

The deciding state is once again Ohio. Sanford barely carries it, and the state's 20 electoral votes put him over the top.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 01:56:13 AM »

The race is very close:

Feingold's populism and Wisconsin background buoy him in the Midwest, giving him solid victories in the battleground states of Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan; he also squeaks out a narrow win in Iowa. He runs ahead of Kerry in almost every Northeastern state; however, he loses New Hampshire, where Sanford's fairly libertarian views resonate.

The South votes staunchly Republican as in 2004, although with reduced margins (except in Sanford's home state of South Carolina, where he gets over 60 percent).

The Rocky Mountains and Great Plains also vote solidly Republican. The GOP wins with smaller margins than 2004, except in the battlegrounds of Nevada and New Mexico, which actually give Sanford higher percentages than Bush received.

The deciding state is once again Ohio. Sanford barely carries it, and the state's 20 electoral votes put him over the top.

I think New Hampsiere would go to Feingold.  Mew Hampsiere & West Virginia are similar in that in the past they use to vote heavily on economic issues, but now that vote is changing more towards social views making West Virginia more Republican and New Hampsiere more Democratic.  I also think Feingold would take Florida, Ohio, Nevada & New Mexico
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 06:34:07 AM »

Allen would be a terrible VP pick. No serious politician should accept a VP slot; it's just political suicide.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 07:01:47 AM »

Feingold - 298
Sanford  - 240

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 11:51:12 AM »

The race is very close:

why would Feingold do more poorly than Kerry or Gore in the Southwestern battleground states?  i'd like to hear your reasoning on this.   
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 03:30:50 PM »

why would Feingold do more poorly than Kerry or Gore in the Southwestern battleground states?  i'd like to hear your reasoning on this.   

I'm pretty sure Sanford would do better in Nevada, since it's libertarian leaning. NM I'm not so sure about, actually. It's seeming less likely that Sanford would do better than Bush there.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2005, 06:30:16 PM »

Since Bush was considered so polarizing by so many people, yet he still carried NM and IA, I see no reason why Sanford couldn't carry them by even larger margins.  By the same token, why would Sanford lose any state that Bush carried?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2005, 06:32:12 PM »

By the same token, why would Sanford lose any state that Bush carried?

Different campaign, different issues, different candidates... Maybe?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies