Is Hillary being pressured into a run or does she really want it?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:30:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is Hillary being pressured into a run or does she really want it?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ??
Pressured

She wants it

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Is Hillary being pressured into a run or does she really want it?  (Read 760 times)
henster
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 12, 2014, 02:16:23 PM »

I think Bill & others are the ones pushing her into a run while she's dragging her feet. Prior to Obama's re-election I heard very little about Hillary being interested in another run until in 2013 the media began suddenly pushing Hillary 2016 stories everywhere and now PACs being started on her behalf it feels like their forcing her into a run.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 02:25:04 PM »

Both.

I think while she was SoS, she didn't want it. She accepted it would probably be her final act in politics. After finishing her job as SoS, she just wanted to rest due to how stressful the job was. However, after a few months of rest and not having to constantly travel around the globe, her ambition began to rekindle. It certainly didn't hurt that polls showed her overwhelmingly being the choice of Democrats with nobody else coming close. Combine her ambitious nature with a virtually clear path to the nomination (along with a chance to make history), I don't see how she could possibly say no, regardless of what Bill or anyone else thinks, although their encouragement has probably made her even more likely to jump in than she already was.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 02:30:33 PM »

She may have had doubts after Obama was re-elected due to the health issues she experienced. I think she still wants it though.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 04:34:45 PM »

Of course she wants it!  She's ego-driven, and has endured a lot of personal humiliation to get where she is.  She has always wanted to prove that whatever her husband could do, she could do better, and that includes the task of being President.

I consider folks with Hillary's personal issues to be suspect, not because of any issue position, but because one has to wonder how they'll handle power.  Hillary is someone who views herself as owed the Presidency; she's had to sit behind her husband, and when it was her time, she was passed over for a novice.  This is kind of Nixonian, and a major reason why, despite having voted for Bill both times, I am very cool toward Hillary.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 08:24:32 PM »

This is something I posted from MSNBC recently:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-read/first-thoughts-clintons-busy-week-sends-signals-n58611

These are not the actions of someone disinterested in running for President.  Clinton could also insist that all the PAC activity on her behalf be shut down.  The fact she has not done so is telling.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 12:53:58 AM »

I think Bill & others are the ones pushing her into a run while she's dragging her feet. Prior to Obama's re-election I heard very little about Hillary being interested in another run until in 2013 the media began suddenly pushing Hillary 2016 stories everywhere and now PACs being started on her behalf it feels like their forcing her into a run.

Clinton herself shifted from outright denials of interest to "maybe" around the end of 2012 / beginning of 2013.  Here's a list of some of her denials:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=164982.msg3603098#msg3603098

In October 2012, for example, she said "I have ruled it out."  Then, by January 2013, she was saying that she doesn't anticipate running, but that she can't predict the future:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=164982.msg3605037#msg3605037

And so on.  She gradually shifted from a Shermanesque denial of interest to the current "maybe".

So, yes, there was a clear evolution in her own statements about her intentions.  It's not just something that was invented by the media.  But yes, it's possible that the shift stems in part from other people "pressuring" her, as you say.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 12:56:12 AM »

Of course she wants it!  She's ego-driven, and has endured a lot of personal humiliation to get where she is.  She has always wanted to prove that whatever her husband could do, she could do better, and that includes the task of being President.

I consider folks with Hillary's personal issues to be suspect, not because of any issue position, but because one has to wonder how they'll handle power.  Hillary is someone who views herself as owed the Presidency; she's had to sit behind her husband, and when it was her time, she was passed over for a novice.  This is kind of Nixonian, and a major reason why, despite having voted for Bill both times, I am very cool toward Hillary.

I love these armchair psychologists. I don't see any difference between her and any other person with the psychology for running for president.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 08:13:07 AM »
« Edited: April 13, 2014, 08:15:24 AM by OC »

Both, she wants to run, but it seems like the fall of Andrew Cuomo and nonenthusiastic choices of Biden and OMalley is forcing her into the front runner status. She wanted to make her mind up, and leave open the possibility that they can win with someone else, but they can't.

That's why Bill kept coming out and denying her intent on running, to give someone else a chance.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 01:50:47 PM »

I love these armchair psychologists. I don't see any difference between her and any other person with the psychology for running for president.

Hillary isn't allowed to be ambitious because she has a vagina, you see.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 09:19:51 PM »

Hillary isn't allowed to be ambitious because she has a vagina, you see.

It takes a certain amount of crass ambition to be President and want to rule over people.  I get that.  I expect that.  I have yet to find a single Presidential candidate to be truly humble; without the requisite level of conceit, they probably couldn't stand the grind necessary to being elected President.

Do I think Hillary has a load of personal issues?  She's married to Bill Clinton; how could she not.  What Hillary projects to me (and, I'm sure, to others) is an "It's MY turn!  I DESERVE it!" mentality that isn't unique to her as a Presidential candidate, but hasn't worked out well with the folks who hold that sentiment.

Nixon had that in spades, and look how his Administration turned out, despite some bold initiatives and a formidable intellect, he still kept lists of enemies.  Buchanan was a bitter old grouch, and he allowed the US to drift into Civil War.  There have been others who were capable who sought the Presidency who couldn't make it past the primary voters because they thought they were OWED the Presidency; it's what scared people off about Scoop Jackson, Al Haig, and Bob Dole.  Hillary scares people.  It's not ideological; it's personal.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 11:12:18 PM »

I disagree with this interpretation... as you say, it's personal.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies