Federal government surrenders to armed right wing militia in Nevada
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:11:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Federal government surrenders to armed right wing militia in Nevada
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Federal government surrenders to armed right wing militia in Nevada  (Read 4229 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 12, 2014, 03:27:14 PM »

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/nevada/blm-release-cattle-caught-bunkerville-roundup

Read this for some backstory on this conflict, especially how the right-wing media and right-wing militia groups have rallied to this rancher's cause.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 03:30:50 PM »

Hmm, first I've heard of this.  Although I'm not on the same circuit of Fw:Fw:Fw:Fw:Fw: emails that I'm sure many of these god-fearing patriots are on.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 03:35:46 PM »

So, is the grazing land currently owned by the government? When they say they are going to "reopen it to the public" does that mean they are going to sell off the land or just stop charging grazing fees?
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 03:35:57 PM »

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/nevada/blm-release-cattle-caught-bunkerville-roundup

Read this for some backstory on this conflict, especially how the right-wing media and right-wing militia groups have rallied to this rancher's cause.

At this rate, Jewell is going to get canned before the year is over.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 03:46:26 PM »

The Taylor Grazing Act was initially written and passed in 1934 to prevent overgrazing. Of course, like many other things, it was eventually commandeered by the envirofundies who started whining about some tortoises.

He should have become pals with Harry Reid.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 04:35:16 PM »

Isn't this more the case of one Sheriff deciding that negotiation is the best option in this particular situation, rather than some kind of governmental capitulation?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 04:38:56 PM »

I've seen this on Facebook quite a bit and was surprised a thread hadn't popped up earlier, although perhaps it hasn't been as big of a story as the crazies have made it out to be.  There's quite a bit of back-and-forth, and it's hard to understand who all is emphasizing things on their side to skew the story, but from what I've read, Clive is pretty clearly in the wrong.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 04:46:51 PM »

It's hardly a "standoff" from what I've read. I only wish the Federal Government just tasered Koresh in 1994 when he was out jogging instead of making a spectacle.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 05:13:45 PM »

The Taylor Grazing Act was initially written and passed in 1934 to prevent overgrazing. Of course, like many other things, it was eventually commandeered by the envirofundies who started whining about some tortoises.

Just because it's government land does not mean that the Federal government does not have the same rights as private land owner would have when it comes time to renew a lease.  I can understand him being upset that the government declined to renew the sweetheart deal he had enjoyed previously, but the simple fact is that it is not his land, and if he fails to reach an agreement for a lease, he has no right to continue using it.

Being in favor of leaseholders squatting on the land after the end of a lease when they fail to reach agreement with the owner on renewal of the lease is something I'd expect a Chavist from Venezuela to support, not a Republican from Pennsylvania.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 05:28:43 PM »

The dude isn't paying his rent, folks. He's in breach of contract. When you don't pay your rent, you get evicted, and the lease is terminated for material breach. What is so terrible about that?  The government wisely decided not to go the Ruby Ridge or the Branch Davidian complex route. They should just sue for damages, and then levy on his bank accounts, house, etc. And perhaps set up a blockade, so that no more cattle can be brought in. He will get the message in time.

These cattlemen using government land seemed to think they have some vested right to be subsidized. F them. If I were the ruler, the subsidies would end - all of them. They all get to pay market price. If they don't like it, some other cattleman who accepts the concept of market forces, will lease the land and run his cattle on it. What a concept!
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 06:49:07 PM »

It's a shame the government surrendered. The government should have dropped the hammer on this clown - and his thuggish supporters who showed up and kicked a police dog.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 07:17:19 PM »

The Feds can do all sorts of things -- like close the roads to the ranch and cut off the water. If he can't get water for the stock or sell the stock on the market, then he might give in. The IRS might find itself useful in the event that Bundy has made any misstatement on tax forms.

Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 08:36:26 PM »

I've seen this on Facebook quite a bit and was surprised a thread hadn't popped up earlier, although perhaps it hasn't been as big of a story as the crazies have made it out to be.  There's quite a bit of back-and-forth, and it's hard to understand who all is emphasizing things on their side to skew the story, but from what I've read, Clive is pretty clearly in the wrong.

Based on the way Facebook's News Feed algorithms work, this is a story that only a Republican would wind up seeing.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 04:21:07 AM »

It's a shame the government surrendered. The government should have dropped the hammer on this clown - and his thuggish supporters who showed up and kicked a police dog.

Agreed. It's time to lay down the law on the freeloading 1%.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 04:29:37 AM »

Shouldn't the "property rights" people be siding with the government and its ability to evict someone who hasn't paid rent in 20 years? What a joke the right-wing is. My taxpayer dollars are going to subsidize this freeloading 1%. Take all his cattle and sell them with the government keeping the proceeds for back payment.  Seriously. Why is this guy getting away with stealing from all of us?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 05:05:19 AM »

The right-wing in this country has now proved themselves beyond a shadow of doubt to be terrorists.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2014, 06:19:50 AM »

This is literally a Western film. Outlaw rancher has a stand-off with the sheriff, rancher brings in his gun-totin' bandits to fight the sheriff's cowboys.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2014, 09:38:12 AM »
« Edited: April 13, 2014, 09:42:27 AM by Bandit3 the Worker »

This would never be tolerated in the Old West.

What would the Gum Fighter in the old Hubba Bubba commercials think if some rancher decided he didn't have to obey the same laws as everyone else? The Gum Fighter always carried himself with dignity and decency. He had a true sense of fairness. Would he allow this crap?
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2014, 10:10:24 AM »

Seriously, what the f**k America?!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2014, 03:33:36 PM »

We need to clean up our own property before we continue to be the world's policeman.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2014, 03:48:51 PM »

So now you support freeloaders mooching off of taxpayers, Krazen? Huh

(If you have even a quarter ounce of guts you'll actually attempt responding)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2014, 04:10:36 PM »

Yeah... the crazy (krazey) right is really freaked out about this... saying the feds standing down is akin to the British losing the revolutionary war or the alamo.

The problem is, if you believe the rumors, the government won't re-up the contract because well connected politicians want to sell the land to build a solar power plant on it.  Surely that won't be good for the tortoises either!

I have no idea why a compromise couldn't be reached.  Surely some of the land could be left to grazing... some for Yurtle and still pack in some good solar power.  It's frickin' Nevada.  I can't imagine there's a whole heckuva lot of good grazing land... but surely there is plenty of good solar power generation land.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2014, 04:35:41 PM »

The government should not negotiate with criminals or terrorists
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2014, 05:26:20 PM »

From what I have seen it looks like the rancher is technically in the wrong, but the feds waaaay over reacted.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2014, 06:32:37 PM »

Yeah... the crazy (krazey) right is really freaked out about this... saying the feds standing down is akin to the British losing the revolutionary war or the alamo.

The problem is, if you believe the rumors, the government won't re-up the contract because well connected politicians want to sell the land to build a solar power plant on it.  Surely that won't be good for the tortoises either!

I have no idea why a compromise couldn't be reached.  Surely some of the land could be left to grazing... some for Yurtle and still pack in some good solar power.  It's frickin' Nevada.  I can't imagine there's a whole heckuva lot of good grazing land... but surely there is plenty of good solar power generation land.

You've been reading too much right-wing propaganda. There's no room for compromise with freeloaders who threaten violence.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies