Should unauthorized immigrants be able to get drivers licenses?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:25:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should unauthorized immigrants be able to get drivers licenses?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes (D)

Yes (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (D)

No (R)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Should unauthorized immigrants be able to get drivers licenses?  (Read 561 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 28, 2014, 10:42:21 PM »

http://www.vox.com/2014/4/28/5661290/keeping-unauthorized-immigrants-from-driving-licenses-assimilation-car-culture
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 11:05:05 PM »

I don't see why not.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 11:17:16 PM »

Of course (normal)
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 12:25:47 AM »

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 01:43:05 AM »

No, but we should work to make it possible for a driver's license issued anywhere in the Americas be sufficient to drive in this country.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 03:48:39 AM »

Yes (non-Buchananite)

No, but we should work to make it possible for a driver's license issued anywhere in the Americas be sufficient to drive in this country.

People still think NAFTA is a conspiracy and you want to tell a bunch of state legislators in Oklahoma and Georgia that they have to accept the validity of Venezuelan driver's licenses?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 04:49:40 AM »

Well, "unauthorized" immigrants should immediately become "authorized" so yes obviously.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 05:23:05 AM »

Well, "unauthorized" immigrants should immediately become "authorized" so yes obviously.
Enno von Loewenstern
Rookie
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 08:07:16 AM »

No!

As illegal aliens are illegal, what means that they break the law, why in the world should they be rewarded.

If someone comes to me uninvited and against my will and sits in my kitchen, I must then give him a driving license? What for? So that he can flee faster, if the immigration authorities appears?

And another question to the illegal friends: If you stand at the movies in the queue, and so you keep to the rules, how you react when another is jumping the queue and then even bypasses the cashier? Reward him with a few extra tickets for his family and a big coke?

Sometimes I am not sure if U.S. Liberals are only plain naive, or do not like the success of their nation. This success is based, inter alia, on an orderly and controlled immigration. With clear, strict and transparent rules to be followed by the immigrants as well as by the country of immigration itself. If the immigration country does not enforce its rules, why the potential immigrants should still stick to it?!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 08:31:27 AM »

No!

As illegal aliens are illegal, what means that they break the law, why in the world should they be rewarded.

If someone comes to me uninvited and against my will and sits in my kitchen, I must then give him a driving license? What for? So that he can flee faster, if the immigration authorities appears?

And another question to the illegal friends: If you stand at the movies in the queue, and so you keep to the rules, how you react when another is jumping the queue and then even bypasses the cashier? Reward him with a few extra tickets for his family and a big coke?

Sometimes I am not sure if U.S. Liberals are only plain naive, or do not like the success of their nation. This success is based, inter alia, on an orderly and controlled immigration. With clear, strict and transparent rules to be followed by the immigrants as well as by the country of immigration itself. If the immigration country does not enforce its rules, why the potential immigrants should still stick to it?!

lol
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 08:47:15 AM »

The country is not the state, and in this case the state not the country is in charge of who may be licensed. A license simply identifies that the recipient has met the state requirements for that license, whether it is for providing plumbing services, practicing medicine, or driving a vehicle. The state standards help protect the public so that they know the license holder has proper training and insurance. Immigration status is a federal issue and doesn't bear on the state standards.

It is true that the drivers license is also commonly used for identification, and that is why it gets more scrutiny than most licenses issued by a state. States use different forms of the DL to show different status such as the bearer is under 21. It is easy to create one that shows that the bearer can not use the license for identification. The IL one is applicable to certain foreign visitors regardless of their immigration status.

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 09:04:46 AM »

Sure, why not?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 10:02:55 AM »

Yes, NAFTA should be transformed into a proper common market with free movement of people, coordinated labor standards (at the level of the Quebecois, which have the highest on the continent, IIRC), etc, etc
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 11:36:21 AM »

...and even if that isn't the case, they should still be able to get licenses, simply because it would make it easier for them to integrate into the community and workforce.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 11:45:09 AM »

Yes (non-Buchananite)

People still think NAFTA is a conspiracy and you want to tell a bunch of state legislators in Oklahoma and Georgia that they have to accept the validity of Venezuelan driver's licenses?

For purposes of proving that someone knows how to drive and can do it responsibly, why not?
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 11:45:30 AM »

Of course.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26