do you support any abortion restrictions?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:50:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  do you support any abortion restrictions?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Poll
Question: ...
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 95

Author Topic: do you support any abortion restrictions?  (Read 6600 times)
nuclearneo577
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2014, 10:25:44 PM »

I voted no because I don't support restrictions that are usually exclusively applied to abortion and no to most other medical procedures. The only restrictions that I support are ones that are in place to stop a potentially unsafe abortion from being preformed, like any other medical procedure.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2014, 05:35:43 AM »

Yes.  I am prolife and oppose abortion except to save the mother's life.  Allowing abortion in cases of rape and incest sends the message to men that they can use women however they want sexually without consequence.  It essentially is the ultimate objectification of women.

People who revert to that sort of reptilian thinking in their logic are usually the most likely to treat women as objects, because they don't care about women at all.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2014, 04:18:58 PM »

I find it absolutely disgusting that people are fine with abortion at nine months.  It's impossible to deny that it's human by then.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2014, 04:59:38 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2014, 05:02:15 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

Yes.  I am prolife and oppose abortion except to save the mother's life.  Allowing abortion in cases of rape and incest sends the message to men that they can use women however they want sexually without consequence.  It essentially is the ultimate objectification of women. 

How is making a woman have her rapist's baby a punishment for the rapist and not the woman?
It's not a punishment for either one.  It making sure that the rapist bears responsibility for impregnating the woman he raped.  If the woman can simply get an abortion, then it absolves the rapist for any responsibility toward abusing the woman and conceiving that child.  Since many rapes go unreported, it's quite possible that the rapist may not even face any legal responsibility for it.  If the rapist didn't want to impregnate the woman, then he shouldn't have raped the woman in the first place.  (He shouldn't have anyway, but that's beyond the scope of this discussion.)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2014, 05:11:50 PM »

Yes (Not a barbarian)
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2014, 05:15:33 PM »

How is making a woman have her rapist's baby a punishment for the rapist and not the woman?
It's not a punishment for either one.  It making sure that the rapist bears responsibility for impregnating the woman he raped.  If the woman can simply get an abortion, then it absolves the rapist for any responsibility toward abusing the woman and conceiving that child.  Since many rapes go unreported, it's quite possible that the rapist may not even face any legal responsibility for it.  If the rapist didn't want to impregnate the woman, then he shouldn't have raped the woman in the first place.  (He shouldn't have anyway, but that's beyond the scope of this discussion.)

Quite frankly this is one of the most genuinely loathsome things I've ever heard on here. Attaching the woman to her rapist for her entire life is more of a punishment to her than saddling the rapist with a child.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2014, 08:25:35 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2014, 08:30:56 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

The best way to solve this problem is to solve the problem of many rapes going unreported, not to ambiguously and extralegally punish everybody involved and the victim more severely.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2014, 12:19:11 PM »

Quite frankly this is one of the most genuinely loathsome things I've ever heard on here. Attaching the woman to her rapist for her entire life is more of a punishment to her than saddling the rapist with a child.

This.

Also, implying the rape is (or "should be") about "impregnation" is easily one of the genuinely idiotic things I've ever heard on here.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2014, 01:27:50 PM »

I do think that there should be a time limit, but it should be as high as possible (around 30 weeks?). Other than that, no way. Also, it should be 100% covered under the public health insurance. And underage girls should be able to get an abortion without their parents being informed if they wish so.

this, but the criterion should be viability rather than a hard time limit.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2014, 08:17:33 AM »

Up to viability, the choice should the woman's without restriction. After that point, I wouldn't oppose most restrictions. Even after the point of viability, I think the health/life of the mother always trumps that of the fetus, regardless of how far along the pregnancy is.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2014, 08:22:30 AM »

Almost none.  (I mind my own business)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2014, 05:37:49 PM »

Yes and abortionists should get the noose.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2014, 05:40:00 PM »

Maybe it's different across the pond, but isn't that a bit.......................barbaric?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2014, 07:30:01 PM »

Weren't you the one who told me to calm down when I bitched about Harper's austerity or made some hyperbolic statement about 'Purgatories' or something? Double standards much?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2014, 08:19:32 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2014, 08:29:02 PM by Senator DC »

Weren't you the one who told me to calm down when I bitched about Harper's austerity or made some hyperbolic statement about 'Purgatories' or something? Double standards much?

You mean this?

Mike Harris is a horrible human being and he should be cooked in an oven.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2014, 08:41:04 PM »

You mean this?

Mike Harris is a horrible human being and he should be cooked in an oven.

Yes, that and some other post in some thread where I bitched about Harpo's austerity cuts, I guess.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2014, 12:58:21 AM »

If someone contracts a hitman to kill an individual, is the hitman somehow more culpable for that individual's death than the person who hired him? If not, then why should the mother not get the noose as well?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2014, 08:22:31 AM »

If someone contracts a hitman to kill an individual, is the hitman somehow more culpable for that individual's death than the person who hired him? If not, then why should the mother not get the noose as well?

Because that would be politically unpopular. *

*Not that advocating the legalized murder of abortion doctors would be a lot more popular, of course.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2014, 09:44:24 AM »

Hashemite, please. Maybe his comment wasn't appropriate, but you're still one of the biggest hack of this forum has ever had. He doesn't try to always get attention with some awful comments that are always hyperbolic.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2014, 09:53:48 AM »

Hashemite, please. Maybe his comment wasn't appropriate, but you're still one of the biggest hack of this forum has ever had. He doesn't try to always get attention with some awful comments that are always hyperbolic.
Stahp, please. And may I remind you that the comment in question was supporting killing people who supported Abortion?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2014, 12:24:31 PM »

Stahp, please. And may I remind you that the comment in question was supporting killing people who supported Abortion?

No, it didn't. I said I support the death penalty for abortionists, i.e. people who actually perform abortions.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2014, 12:25:39 PM »

No, it didn't. I said I support the death penalty for abortionists, i.e. people who actually perform abortions.
That, doesn't make it any less babaric or disgusting.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2014, 12:26:35 PM »

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2014, 12:38:09 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2014, 12:40:07 PM by Senator DC »

Profiting from murder is especially heinous. That doesn't make getting an abortion morally acceptable, but I have a lot more sympathy for a scared teenager than for some doctor who's Mercedes is financed by taking lives.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2014, 12:47:17 PM »

Well, if one supports the death penalty (which I believe DC does) and in addition believes that abortion is murder on a par with killing a human who has been born, with no mitigating circumstances, then I don't see why its such a heinous position to take. I personally wouldn't go down that road, but that's just me. I could understand the outrage if he was advocating extralegal killings of abortionists, but I very much doubt he is.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies