1888 Conventions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:50:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  1888 Conventions
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Finally!
Union Convention: President Grover Cleveland of New York

Union Convention: Senator Nelson Aldrich of Rhode Island

People's Alliance Convention: General George Custer of Michigan

People's Alliance Convention: Senator Joseph F. Smith of Illinois

Whig Convention: Senator Newton Booth of California

Whig Convention: Governor Zebulon Vance of North Carolina

Whig Convention: Merger

Radical Convention: Representative John Ingalls of Kansas

Radical Convention: Senator Moses Thatcher of Babel

Radical Convention: Merger

Destiny Convention: Fmr. Representative Samuel Randall of Pennsylvania

Destiny Convention: Activist William Walker of Texas

Destiny Convention: General George Custer of Michigan

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: 1888 Conventions  (Read 2476 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2014, 01:48:39 PM »

Custer's a non-starter for me as President, plus you guys got your choice last time.  I suppose I could live with Vance/Custer although unless the other parties line up behind Vance, I'm sticking with Vance/Teller.

What's your problem with Custer, hero of the Common Man? Sad

His involvement in the Indian Wars Tongue 

And yet you'd probably support Theodore Roosevelt who fought in the apparently un-justified Spanish-American War.

No, actually I wouldn't.  TR was a major HP, not really sure why certain liberals like him given that he was never more than a pseudo-reformer.

Ah, you've reached the "Enlightened S(t)age". Good, good....
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2014, 02:50:13 PM »

Custer's a non-starter for me as President, plus you guys got your choice last time.  I suppose I could live with Vance/Custer although unless the other parties line up behind Vance, I'm sticking with Vance/Teller.

And yet you'd probably support Theodore Roosevelt who fought in the apparently un-justified Spanish-American War.

No, actually I wouldn't.  TR was a major HP, not really sure why certain liberals like him given that he was never more than a pseudo-reformer.

?
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2014, 03:06:38 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well there's Spiral, shua, Maxwell, Deus, and Sanchez - that makes five. Bmotley announced his support for Cleveland, making six, and I (who admittedly voted Whig:Merger) would make seven. Cleveland has 9 votes at the convention thus far.

Randall was intended to hurt Cleveland.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2014, 03:55:33 PM »

Well there's Spiral, shua, Maxwell, Deus, and Sanchez - that makes five. Bmotley announced his support for Cleveland, making six, and I (who admittedly voted Whig:Merger) would make seven. Cleveland has 9 votes at the convention thus far.

Randall was intended to hurt Cleveland.

Turnout is also about half of what it was in Cathcon's first version IIRC.  Also, I agree Randall should hurt Cleveland in theory, but in practice he doesn't seem to have done so.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2014, 04:08:51 PM »

?

I'm just being an asshole. More to the point: I find left-wingers who gush over TR annoying, but I also find it annoying when they gush over Eugene Debs, so I'll just mindlessly make rude (or in this case, mis-interpreted or confusing) comments regarding either.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2014, 04:36:13 PM »

?

I'm just being an asshole. More to the point: I find left-wingers who gush over TR annoying, but I also find it annoying when they gush over Eugene Debs, so I'll just mindlessly make rude (or in this case, mis-interpreted or confusing) comments regarding either.

Ah, no worries.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2014, 04:42:56 PM »

Zebulon Vance/Simon Bolivar Buckner
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2014, 10:22:10 AM »

I encourage everyone who supports the Whigs or Radicals to vote to merge so we don't have vote-splitting in the general election.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2014, 10:40:01 AM »

I swear half the voters are just voting for a name that's famous in real life.

Are you sure? There's a pretty vocal libertarian-leaning cohort in this series (myself, shua, Deus, Spiral, Max etc) which roughly squares up with Cleveland's vote total, give or take. For the record, I voted Whig: Merger this time.

I do agree that the famous names tend to do better than ones that are less prominent IRL (much to my disappointment) but I don't think it's solely attributable to that.

I voted Cleveland as, lets face it, the other options are crap.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2014, 11:10:34 AM »
« Edited: April 15, 2014, 11:12:56 AM by Malcolm X »

I encourage everyone who supports the Whigs or Radicals to vote to merge so we don't have vote-splitting in the general election.

I urge fellow anti-Cleveland voters to reject the efforts of Custer/Smith supporters to hijack the Whig convention.  I realize they may share the same goal of defeating Cleveland, but the fact is that only Vance ideally with Senator Teller as his running-mate) has what it takes to defeat Cleveland and a merger would keep him from being nominated.  It is also quite surprising that those who blocked Weaver over his views on immigration would have us unite behind an eager participant in the Indian genocide.  I'd urge Whigs, Radicals, and members of the People's Alliance to support Vance!
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2014, 12:37:52 PM »

I'd be for Vance, but only under a united ticket.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2014, 02:36:47 PM »

Vance isn't an option if there's a merger.  He wasn't listed as one of the People's Alliance candidates Sad
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2014, 03:05:38 PM »

Vance isn't an option if there's a merger.  He wasn't listed as one of the People's Alliance candidates Sad

That's too bad. If he is the Whig nominee though, won't we have a four-way race, since there's no merger?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2014, 03:34:50 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2014, 03:36:28 PM by Malcolm X »

Vance isn't an option if there's a merger.  He wasn't listed as one of the People's Alliance candidates Sad

That's too bad. If he is the Whig nominee though, won't we have a four-way race, since there's no merger?

The Radicals voted for a merger and the Destiny and People's Alliance parties voted for Custer, so it would be Vance vs. Custer. vs. Cleveland.  Another possibility is that since the Radicals voted for a merger and The People's Alliance lacks Whig participation, the People's Alliance doesn't run anyone and/or the Radicals disappear entirely.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2014, 03:38:31 PM »

How about we see how things play out in 1888, then run Vance/Custer in 1892. Vance dies in 1894, so they each get two years as President.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2014, 04:02:41 PM »

How about we see how things play out in 1888, then run Vance/Custer in 1892. Vance dies in 1894, so they each get two years as President.

Nah, there may be better options.  Like Weaver Smiley
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2014, 07:54:06 PM »

Wasn't Weaver the racist?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2014, 07:59:21 PM »

Or Vance. Imagine President Zebulon Vance.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2014, 08:19:01 PM »

Wasn't Weaver the racist?

Nope
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2014, 08:21:18 PM »

Let's see how '88 goes.  What about Weaver/Custer in '92.  I could get behind that and then switch to Bryan/Teller in '96.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2014, 11:58:16 PM »

Let's see how '88 goes.  What about Weaver/Custer in '92.  I could get behind that and then switch to Bryan/Teller in '96.

I think we can all agree that we're going to have Bryan/Somebody in '96, and Teller seems pretty cool. How about the Whigs merge with the People's Alliance and Destiny parties in '92 so we can sort this all out democratically instead of having two candidates running on the left, a situation which has had negative results for us in the past four elections? I'm not a fan of Weaver, and you're not a fan of Custer, so we probably shouldn't go with that. Perhaps Vance/Bryan in '92, no matter what happens this go-around?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2014, 12:06:31 AM »

I think we can all agree that we're going to have Bryan/Somebody in '96, and Teller seems pretty cool. How about the Whigs merge with the People's Alliance and Destiny parties in '92 so we can sort this all out democratically instead of having two candidates running on the left, a situation which has had negative results for us in the past four elections? I'm not a fan of Weaver, and you're not a fan of Custer, so we probably shouldn't go with that. Perhaps Vance/Bryan in '92, no matter what happens this go-around?

Bryan would be unconstitutional in '92.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2014, 08:13:59 AM »

As Cath noted, Bryan would be unconstitutional in 1892 and I think we should check the options before settling on Vance for that year (obviously it doesn't have to be Weaver, but let's make sure there isn't a better option that year that folks can agree on), other than that I completely agree.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2014, 10:11:58 AM »

Bryan would be unconstitutional in '92.

Is there an age limit on the Vice-Presidency? Now, it is true that Vance would die soon after Bryan's 34th birthday, but we could just have the Speaker of the House be acting President until Bryan turns 35, just like your series had Douglass be AP until Woodhull turned 35.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2014, 04:52:34 PM »

Also this has been over for about a day.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies