1888 Conventions (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:47:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  1888 Conventions (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Finally!
Union Convention: President Grover Cleveland of New York

Union Convention: Senator Nelson Aldrich of Rhode Island

People's Alliance Convention: General George Custer of Michigan

People's Alliance Convention: Senator Joseph F. Smith of Illinois

Whig Convention: Senator Newton Booth of California

Whig Convention: Governor Zebulon Vance of North Carolina

Whig Convention: Merger

Radical Convention: Representative John Ingalls of Kansas

Radical Convention: Senator Moses Thatcher of Babel

Radical Convention: Merger

Destiny Convention: Fmr. Representative Samuel Randall of Pennsylvania

Destiny Convention: Activist William Walker of Texas

Destiny Convention: General George Custer of Michigan

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: 1888 Conventions  (Read 2579 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: April 13, 2014, 11:29:40 AM »

Custer '88! Let's get a cowboy in the White House to shake it up from the Eastern elites that have held it for 18 years!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 11:32:13 AM »

Where would Theodore Roosevelt be at this point in time? In real life, he'd held a seat for a few years in the NY State Assembly, had become a widower, had lost an election for mayor, and had gotten re-married before Harrison made him a Civil Service Commissioner in 1889. With the Union party currently in the hands of its "reform" faction, might he have a good relationship with fellow New Yorker Grover Cleveland? Or is he still out West?

As well, it'd be interesting to see how he might interact with a President Custer.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 01:23:38 PM »

Custer's a non-starter for me as President, plus you guys got your choice last time.  I suppose I could live with Vance/Custer although unless the other parties line up behind Vance, I'm sticking with Vance/Teller.

What's your problem with Custer, hero of the Common Man? Sad
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 01:35:26 PM »

Custer's a non-starter for me as President, plus you guys got your choice last time.  I suppose I could live with Vance/Custer although unless the other parties line up behind Vance, I'm sticking with Vance/Teller.

His involvement in the Indian Wars Tongue 

And yet you'd probably support Theodore Roosevelt who fought in the apparently un-justified Spanish-American War.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 01:48:39 PM »

And yet you'd probably support Theodore Roosevelt who fought in the apparently un-justified Spanish-American War.

No, actually I wouldn't.  TR was a major HP, not really sure why certain liberals like him given that he was never more than a pseudo-reformer.

Ah, you've reached the "Enlightened S(t)age". Good, good....
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 04:08:51 PM »

No, actually I wouldn't.  TR was a major HP, not really sure why certain liberals like him given that he was never more than a pseudo-reformer.

Ah, you've reached the "Enlightened S(t)age". Good, good....

?

I'm just being an asshole. More to the point: I find left-wingers who gush over TR annoying, but I also find it annoying when they gush over Eugene Debs, so I'll just mindlessly make rude (or in this case, mis-interpreted or confusing) comments regarding either.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 12:06:31 AM »

How about we see how things play out in 1888, then run Vance/Custer in 1892. Vance dies in 1894, so they each get two years as President.

Nah, there may be better options.  Like Weaver Smiley

Or Vance. Imagine President Zebulon Vance.

Let's see how '88 goes.  What about Weaver/Custer in '92.  I could get behind that and then switch to Bryan/Teller in '96.

I think we can all agree that we're going to have Bryan/Somebody in '96, and Teller seems pretty cool. How about the Whigs merge with the People's Alliance and Destiny parties in '92 so we can sort this all out democratically instead of having two candidates running on the left, a situation which has had negative results for us in the past four elections? I'm not a fan of Weaver, and you're not a fan of Custer, so we probably shouldn't go with that. Perhaps Vance/Bryan in '92, no matter what happens this go-around?

Bryan would be unconstitutional in '92.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 10:30:07 AM »

Dallas is a busy man, and he's demonstrated in the past that he doesn't produce these like rapidly, so just chill.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 11:20:53 AM »

Dallas is a busy man, and he's demonstrated in the past that he doesn't produce these like rapidly, so just chill.

bby we miss u

I hope that the negative tone the vast amount of my posts on the forum have had lately indicate I'm mainly here when I'm sleep deprived and pissed off because of my schedule. Take that as you wish. Thank God the semester's ending soon, though.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 02:26:08 PM »

bby we miss u

I hope that the negative tone the vast amount of my posts on the forum have had lately indicate I'm mainly here when I'm sleep deprived and pissed off because of my schedule. Take that as you wish. Thank God the semester's ending soon, though.

Huh. I thought that was just you being wacky. Sorry.

Nothing to apologize for, it's just that the time when I'm not either socializing, working, or doing academic related things, I'm just wasting time celebrating the fact that I'm not doing anything. Between all those things, I have no time to be productive in my free time.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies