Will Hillary do better or worse than Obama with white voters?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:19:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Will Hillary do better or worse than Obama with white voters?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Better than Obama 2008

Same as Obama 2008 (43%)

Worse than Obama 2008, better than Obama 2012

Same as Obama 2012 (39%)

Worse than Obama 2012

Depends on who her opponent is (please elaborate)

She won't be the nominee.

What difference, at this point, does it make?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Author Topic: Will Hillary do better or worse than Obama with white voters?  (Read 1569 times)
JonathanSwift
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 29, 2015, 03:05:38 PM »

Please discuss.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 03:13:14 PM »

Option 3.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 03:21:38 PM »

Option 3 is likely. 
JonathanSwift
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 03:23:26 PM »

I also voted for Option 3.
aktheden
Rookie
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 05:07:22 PM »

worse....White voters now hate the Democratic Party
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 05:12:06 PM »

The Democratic Party hasn't won the white vote since 1964, and they still have sizeable support from younger whites.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 06:23:55 PM »

The Democratic Party hasn't won the white vote since 1964, and they still have sizeable support from younger whites.

Although I believe I read that this support is tapering off generationally. I remember Cuccinelli won white 18-24 year olds but lost white 25-40 year olds. The general argument being that those who became adults when Bush was President vote Democrat and those who became adults under Obama vote Republican.

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Cuccinelli-college-women-poll/2013/11/08/id/535605/
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 06:29:24 PM »

Although I believe I read that this support is tapering off generationally. I remember Cuccinelli won white 18-24 year olds but lost white 25-40 year olds. The general argument being that those who became adults when Bush was President vote Democrat and those who became adults under Obama vote Republican.

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Cuccinelli-college-women-poll/2013/11/08/id/535605/

Hmm. If that does materialize, that would be similar to the Baby Boom divide between those aged under Nixon and those under Ford and Carter.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 06:33:22 PM »

Hmm. If that does materialize, that would be similar to the Baby Boom divide between those aged under Nixon and those under Ford and Carter.

The GOP does poorly among young voters now, though I will expect that those who are just gaining voting age now will be more conservative than the older ones as the years progress.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 06:34:56 PM »

The GOP does poorly among young voters now, though I will expect that those who are just gaining voting age now will be more conservative than the older ones as the years progress.

Depends. The Boomer rightward shift depended a lot on Reagan. No such figure presently exists.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 06:36:52 PM »

Option 2.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 06:37:15 PM »

Depends. The Boomer rightward shift depended a lot on Reagan. No such figure presently exists.

Agreed, it will definitely take a positive personality to move the needle a lot; we shall see who that ends up being. Odds are, it will happen.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 07:28:19 PM »

I agree with the consensus of something in between 2008 and 2012, so more like Kerry or Gore (around 41%).

But one has to wonder how the GOP are planning on winning the election if they can't increase their share of the white vote. I find it hard to believe they can win back enough non-whites to make up the difference.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 06:17:56 AM »

Not really.

Agreed, it will definitely take a positive personality to move the needle a lot; we shall see who that ends up being. Odds are, it will happen.

It's going to have to happen in the next 10 years to be an impressionable figure in the minds of the younger Millennials. I don't see it as very likely, and I don't think there's gonna be a significant divide like among the Baby Boomers.

NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 11:12:22 AM »

in the next few years the Democrats are going to have to come out swinging on the student loan crisis. Those younger  white milenials are in college right now and all cynical and trying to be edgy. When they start paying their loans and realize how the GOP wants to privatize all student loans they'll know who to support...besides the entitled rich white kids who weren't going to support them regardless.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 11:32:19 AM »

in the next few years the Democrats are going to have to come out swinging on the student loan crisis. Those younger  white milenials are in college right now and all cynical and trying to be edgy. When they start paying their loans and realize how the GOP wants to privatize all student loans they'll know who to support...besides the entitled rich white kids who weren't going to support them regardless.

Even a lot of the entitled rich white ones aren't surefire GOP voters like their parents might be.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2015, 11:47:58 AM »

I think she'll do worse than Obama 2012. The main reason is that she's unlikely to run in as favorable an environment as Obama had in '08 and '12. It's normal for parties to lose support the longer they stay in the White House, and I don't see Hillary Clinton being an exception.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2015, 01:02:22 PM »

I think she'll do worse than Obama 2012. The main reason is that she's unlikely to run in as favorable an environment as Obama had in '08 and '12. It's normal for parties to lose support the longer they stay in the White House, and I don't see Hillary Clinton being an exception.

If we're going to talk history, the only Republican in recent history to get more of the white vote than Romney did in 2012 was Reagan in 1984.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 01:34:43 PM »

Virginia youth do not represent the youth nationally. Virginia is turning blue largely because of the 25-40 crowd moving to NoVA. The young vote in Virginia is situated largely outside of NoVA and acts more like southern trends.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2015, 01:42:57 PM »

It's normal for parties to lose support the longer they stay in the White House

That's a meaningless statement. The Federalist Party isn't entering their 226th consecutive year of majority rule, yeah, but they didn't decline because of fatigue. Thomas Jefferson (DR) defeated John Adams (F) for re-election. If Jefferson were running against Washington, he would have lost.

The Republicans are not entitled to more vote because the Democrats have been in office for 8 years. They need a candidate that white voters like more than Clinton by a margin greater than white voters preferred Romney to Obama.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2015, 02:51:47 PM »

Some white voters especially in Appalachia and the Deep South who didn't vote for Obama may vote for Hillary, especially if her VP pick is from that region (Joe Manchin maybe?). That will be offset by those who gave Obama the benefit of the doubt in 2012 but who in 2016 will definitely be ready for a change. Overall, a wash.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies