Game of Thrones
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:18:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Game of Thrones
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 16105 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: June 11, 2014, 09:19:22 AM »

Yes, the stuff marked in white text is book spoilers.  Spoilers for episodes that have already aired are discussed freely here, in plain text.  Heck, just look at the first page of this thread (or don't, if you haven't watched any of Season 4 yet).  It's extremely spoilerific, with nothing marked in white text, because it's all about episodes that have already aired.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2014, 09:56:12 AM »
« Edited: June 11, 2014, 10:00:32 AM by Antonio V »

Oh, that makes sense, my bad.

It's neither the first nor the most important spoiler I've got anyway, so no big deal. Actually, maybe it's a good thing I got some, as it will make it easier to accept the death of characters I liked without suffering too much.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #127 on: June 11, 2014, 02:25:44 PM »

I was a little sad that they cut "Is this a castle, Jon Snow?"
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #128 on: June 11, 2014, 03:25:35 PM »

Well actually, the thread was always there for discussion up to the latest episodes.
Sorry for you, but it would really be wise to leave this thread until you caught up.

As far as I've seen spoilers are usually marked in white text...

Well, most spoilers in white text are book spoilers, spoilers that are ahead of the show as of now... Most people here don't consider the things that happened in the last two/three episodes spoliers, as the ones who are up-date have already seen them. Once again, I'm sorry for you, as Lumine said, no one wants to encounter spoilers of GoT. I can assure you however that I'll talk of such things only in white text.

They changed the whole story quite a bit for my taste - Pip, Grenn, Thorne... Everyone is dead. Why the f[inks]? That robs us from all the "who is elected Lord Commander storyline".

I don't think it was ever clarified whether or not Thorne died.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #129 on: June 11, 2014, 03:55:47 PM »

Oh, that makes sense, my bad.

It's neither the first nor the most important spoiler I've got anyway, so no big deal. Actually, maybe it's a good thing I got some, as it will make it easier to accept the death of characters I liked without suffering too much.

I don't know if this will make you feel any better, but most posters in this thread have no idea what they're talking about. The story has plenty of subtext and misdirection that many viewers don't catch.

Indeed, I decided to watch Season 1 again a few days ago (I originally watched it without reading the books) and I was quite surprised at the large amount of subtle references, alternate character interpretation and subplots that I missed.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #130 on: June 11, 2014, 04:55:51 PM »

Absolutely necessary to enjoy and understand the series:

The Game of Thrones - Complete History and Lore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re_4-g07OPw

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #131 on: June 11, 2014, 07:07:05 PM »

Great Peeperkorn! This makes me wonder, if Jamie and Cersei are actually Targaryens... it would explain their... habit.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #132 on: June 11, 2014, 09:32:06 PM »

I'm curious where they go with the next seasons. The producers want to finish the series with seven seasons. As of this weekend they will have wrapped up 4 seasons which will cover the first 3 books and maybe about 1/4 of the fourth and fifth books (which run concurrently). GRR Martin has yet to finish and publish the 6th and 7th books, but the way things look by this time next year they will have finished with most (if not all) of the book material. Unless they choose to drag it out ala "The Hobbit" and just start adding useless padding. I'm ok with the show going past what has been released, assuming that it is all based on outlines from Martin. They shouldn't wait for his glacial pace of releasing books.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #133 on: June 11, 2014, 10:59:47 PM »

I am currently leaning towards abandoning the TV show if they go past Winds of Winter. It's nothing personal; I love the show.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #134 on: June 12, 2014, 11:12:39 AM »

Well actually, the thread was always there for discussion up to the latest episodes.
Sorry for you, but it would really be wise to leave this thread until you caught up.

As far as I've seen spoilers are usually marked in white text...

Well, most spoilers in white text are book spoilers, spoilers that are ahead of the show as of now... Most people here don't consider the things that happened in the last two/three episodes spoliers, as the ones who are up-date have already seen them. Once again, I'm sorry for you, as Lumine said, no one wants to encounter spoilers of GoT. I can assure you however that I'll talk of such things only in white text.

They changed the whole story quite a bit for my taste - Pip, Grenn, Thorne... Everyone is dead. Why the f[inks]? That robs us from all the "who is elected Lord Commander storyline".

I don't think it was ever clarified whether or not Thorne died.

Indeed it was not.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #135 on: June 12, 2014, 11:15:06 AM »

I actually thought it was fairly obvious that Thorne isn't dead as opposed to just wounded.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #136 on: June 12, 2014, 11:38:58 AM »

I actually thought it was fairly obvious that Thorne isn't dead as opposed to just wounded.
I must have gotten something wrong, but I could've sworn he died. Well, next time I should look more carefully, before protesting about something that didn't even happen Tongue
Has anyone other but me the feeling that the next episode will again be heavily centered on the Wall arc?
Dany's arc is about finished, as is Sansa's, the Bolton arc seems finished too. Tyrion has left something going, Arya has and Bran, too. And of course the whole Wall / Jon / Stannis story. There isn't anything left, right? Maybe LSH, as season finale...?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #137 on: June 12, 2014, 12:55:20 PM »

I must have gotten something wrong, but I could've sworn he died. Well, next time I should look more carefully, before protesting about something that didn't even happen Tongue
Has anyone other but me the feeling that the next episode will again be heavily centered on the Wall arc?
Dany's arc is about finished, as is Sansa's, the Bolton arc seems finished too. Tyrion has left something going, Arya has and Bran, too. And of course the whole Wall / Jon / Stannis story. There isn't anything left, right? Maybe LSH, as season finale...?

I doubt it.  I think Stannis probably saves the day pretty quickly and then we end that plot thread right there within the first 7-10 minutes after the opening credits.  The HBO preview confirmed that their will be at least one scene with each of the following combinations: Dany/dragons, Jon/Wildling Redshirts/Mance Rayder, Arya/the Hound, Cersei/Tywin, Cersei/Jaime, and THAT scene (if you've read the book you should know what I mean, I don't want to risk someone getting spoiled about it b/c of the angle that they were looking at their computer Tongue ).  Given that the last one surely takes up at least 15 minutes of screen-time and could conceivably take up 20-25 minutes (I'd predict 20 minutes), that is a lot to fit in one episode.  I don't see how they can spend much more than 10 minutes at the wall (if that, it could easily be less).
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #138 on: June 12, 2014, 04:27:42 PM »

According to HBO the finale will be 66 minutes long.

As for the Wall:
I hope we can at least end, if not with the Lord Commander election, but with Stannis offering to legitimize Jon and make him Lord Stark of Winterfell.

With finales they occasionally do a prologue, I'm hoping the episode will begin with Jon and after Stannis' cavalry comes in it transitions excitingly into the credits.

I predict that Lady Stoneheart will be a ~2 minute coda to the episode. We may see Brienne's story intersect with LSH the way it does near the end of A Feast For Crows...this is speculation based on comments I saw on a website.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #139 on: June 13, 2014, 12:09:39 AM »

I doubt it.  I think Stannis probably saves the day pretty quickly and then we end that plot thread right there within the first 7-10 minutes after the opening credits.  The HBO preview confirmed that their will be at least one scene with each of the following combinations: Dany/dragons, Jon/Wildling Redshirts/Mance Rayder, Arya/the Hound, Cersei/Tywin, Cersei/Jaime, and THAT scene (if you've read the book you should know what I mean, I don't want to risk someone getting spoiled about it b/c of the angle that they were looking at their computer Tongue ).  Given that the last one surely takes up at least 15 minutes of screen-time and could conceivably take up 20-25 minutes (I'd predict 20 minutes), that is a lot to fit in one episode.  I don't see how they can spend much more than 10 minutes at the wall (if that, it could easily be less).
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that scene Tongue Of course, that will be the main story arc of the episode.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #140 on: June 14, 2014, 03:17:27 PM »

Just finished season 2. It's always gonna be a downer ending isn't it? Sad
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #141 on: June 14, 2014, 09:23:27 PM »

I'd say that one on the next finales is going to be more optimistic than the rest of them, but then again that's not saying much, xD

On an unrelated note, there an idea I wanted to discuss in this thread, if someone is interested. As of now I am still hosting a strategy game that might take some time, but my first option was always to host a grand strategy game based on Game of Thrones/ASOIAF. I even discussed it with some forum members a few months ago, but I never went through with it because I felt I would lack enough players.

In the case I were to host one of those in the future (or find someone to host it), would anybody be interested?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #142 on: June 15, 2014, 04:35:55 AM »

I'd say that one on the next finales is going to be more optimistic than the rest of them, but then again that's not saying much, xD

On an unrelated note, there an idea I wanted to discuss in this thread, if someone is interested. As of now I am still hosting a strategy game that might take some time, but my first option was always to host a grand strategy game based on Game of Thrones/ASOIAF. I even discussed it with some forum members a few months ago, but I never went through with it because I felt I would lack enough players.

In the case I were to host one of those in the future (or find someone to host it), would anybody be interested?

Sure! That sounds fun. Smiley I just hope I'll have finished watching when you start it. Tongue
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #143 on: June 15, 2014, 04:44:54 PM »

I am interested in participating, Lumine. Let me know if you get any farther with the idea.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #144 on: June 15, 2014, 06:41:40 PM »

Maybe.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #145 on: June 15, 2014, 09:21:43 PM »

I am interested in participating, Lumine. Let me know if you get any farther with the idea.

Great! My final exams for the semester are coming, so I will planify a potential game and then see if the time will allow me to host that and Balance of Power at the same time. (I also have to decide the setting, like Robert Baratheon's Rebellion, the War of the Five Kings or the rough scenario of a Feast for Crows+A Dance with Dragons.

On another note, and while I know that those who read the books will be dissapointed with some issues, I loved that finale! They are truly serious about killing people who are still alive in the books...
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #146 on: June 16, 2014, 12:13:02 AM »

The effects on this show have gotten really good. It must cost a ton to make.

Oh, and I'm going to miss Tywin. Sad
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #147 on: June 16, 2014, 05:47:18 AM »

I'm not happy they whitewashed the Tyrion-Jamie interaction.  Still a phenomenal scene though.  Does anyone else think it was perfect that this episode aired on father's day?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #148 on: June 16, 2014, 08:30:13 AM »

Great! My final exams for the semester are coming, so I will planify a potential game and then see if the time will allow me to host that and Balance of Power at the same time. (I also have to decide the setting, like Robert Baratheon's Rebellion, the War of the Five Kings or the rough scenario of a Feast for Crows+A Dance with Dragons.

I'm fine with anything as long as it's covered by the show. I'm never gonna read the books though. Tongue
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #149 on: June 16, 2014, 03:59:45 PM »

Shameless propaganda: The game is up now and with several players, in case anybody else is interested!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies