Game of Thrones
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:48:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Game of Thrones
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 16063 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: June 16, 2014, 04:13:48 PM »

I'm not happy they whitewashed the Tyrion-Jamie interaction.  Still a phenomenal scene though.  Does anyone else think it was perfect that this episode aired on father's day?
I mentioned that to the wife between the first and second bolt.

Several ....points...issues...whatever:
1.What happened after Arya laughed after learning of her aunts death.  Her cousin was still there even if the guards don't know about Sansa being there.  Do they not trust the rest of the people of House Arryn?
2.How did Stannis get 2000+ calvary north of the wall without the wildlings knowing?  Do they not have gaurds/scouts?  A 100,000 man army?  Sure it came out of left field and they couldn't have possibly known it was coming, but still...that's a lot of dudes on horses to totally not see encircling your position..
3.Is anybody else pissed Arya didn't "help" the Hound?  WTF girl?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #151 on: June 16, 2014, 04:44:49 PM »

I'm not happy they whitewashed the Tyrion-Jamie interaction.  Still a phenomenal scene though.  Does anyone else think it was perfect that this episode aired on father's day?
I mentioned that to the wife between the first and second bolt.

Several ....points...issues...whatever:
1.What happened after Arya laughed after learning of her aunts death.  Her cousin was still there even if the guards don't know about Sansa being there.  Do they not trust the rest of the people of House Arryn?
2.How did Stannis get 2000+ calvary north of the wall without the wildlings knowing?  Do they not have gaurds/scouts?  A 100,000 man army?  Sure it came out of left field and they couldn't have possibly known it was coming, but still...that's a lot of dudes on horses to totally not see encircling your position..
3.Is anybody else pissed Arya didn't "help" the Hound?  WTF girl?

1. I mean the cousin is a little boy, so God knows who is really in charge of the Vale, from Arya and the Hound's perspective.

2. Stop being such a plausible Wink

3. I mean her whole family is dead as far as she knows except *maybe* Sansa and Jon Snow are dead, along with the various protectors she's had (Syrio, Yoren, etc.).  That sort of stuff tends to change folks in some pretty dark ways, especially children.  Plus, I don't think she was ever much of a fan of the Hound.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #152 on: June 16, 2014, 08:56:46 PM »

So is The Hound definitely done for?

Also it looks like they're turning The Mountain into some kind of Frankenstein's Monster (which I guess is a pretty big change from the books).

Also, I loved the skeleton warriors. Very Harryhausen.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #153 on: June 16, 2014, 09:10:56 PM »

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #154 on: June 16, 2014, 09:38:49 PM »

Apparently a lot of book readers didn't like last night's episode, but I thought it was legitimately one of the best the show has ever done. I really loved every single scene. The Hound/Brienne fight was one of the best duels I've ever seen in any TV show or film. And like Eraserhead I loved the Harryhausen homage.

Arya's turned into a terrible character though. Is she as much of a sociopath in the books? The Hound is obviously a pretty terrible person, but he still fought for her. Literally the least she could do is stab him in the heart. Also not really sure how she goes from tending to his wounds a few episodes ago to hating him again in this one?
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #155 on: June 16, 2014, 10:01:42 PM »

So is The Hound definitely done for?

Many book readers believe an unidentified character in book 4 is the Hound. He's in the background of one scene in a POV chapter. However the character of that chapter has never met the Hound, so doesn't recognize him.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's not
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #156 on: June 16, 2014, 10:07:29 PM »

Arya's turned into a terrible character though. Is she as much of a sociopath in the books? The Hound is obviously a pretty terrible person, but he still fought for her. Literally the least she could do is stab him in the heart. Also not really sure how she goes from tending to his wounds a few episodes ago to hating him again in this one?

The show changes some of the details (e.g. the Brienne-Hound encounter doesn't happen in the books), but it's been clear for a while that it is keeping Arya's arc intact. Season 4 leaves Arya amost exactly where she is at the same point in the books, having abandoned the Hound to a seemingly certain death and boarded a ship to Braavos.

Readers have complained about the show "whitewashing" characters to preserve their appeal to viewers, but I don't understand how anyone who's been paying attention to Arya could believe that the showrunners are afraid to take the fans' favorite characters in a very dark direction.

Where are you getting these "book reader" opinions? asoiaf.westeros.org?
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #157 on: June 16, 2014, 10:28:41 PM »

Finding online fan discussions isn't difficult.

I think you missed the point of my question. Smiley
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #158 on: June 16, 2014, 10:35:40 PM »

Book readers seem pretty up in arms over at the r/gameofthrones and r/asoiaf reddits.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #159 on: June 16, 2014, 10:56:22 PM »

I can't wait for the Comic Con panel this year. Their panels are always awesome, though last year the questions were pretty rote. Hopefully that will be better this year.

Anyway, I used to post on asoiaf.westeros.org. Their book purists are really intense, but then again that community existed for book readers before the show existed.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #160 on: June 17, 2014, 12:42:07 PM »

I can't wait for the Comic Con panel this year. Their panels are always awesome, though last year the questions were pretty rote. Hopefully that will be better this year.

Anyway, I used to post on asoiaf.westeros.org. Their book purists are really intense, but then again that community existed for book readers before the show existed.

Yeah, I often read the forum there and the amount of visceral hate some have for several aspects of the series is disturbing, to say the least...

PS: I still need a Renly for the game, in case anyone's interested.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #161 on: June 17, 2014, 06:10:40 PM »

The Hound/Brienne fight was one of the best duels I've ever seen in any TV show or film.

Ugh.  Ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh.  Go away.  That scene was the worst.  And there was such whiplash, because the scene with the Hound was so excellent afterwards.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #162 on: June 17, 2014, 06:45:39 PM »

The Hound/Brienne fight was one of the best duels I've ever seen in any TV show or film.

Ugh.  Ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh.  Go away.  That scene was the worst.  And there was such whiplash, because the scene with the Hound was so excellent afterwards.

Ummm what was wrong with it? It was a great fight scene.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #163 on: June 17, 2014, 07:30:35 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2014, 01:15:17 AM by Eraserhead »

Ugh.  Ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh.  Go away.  That scene was the worst.  And there was such whiplash, because the scene with the Hound was so excellent afterwards.

Ummm what was wrong with it? It was a great fight scene.

Yeah seriously. It was actually a much better fight overall than the much hyped the Oberyn/Mountain fight, which was pretty unremarkable minus the epic ending.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #164 on: June 18, 2014, 12:23:24 AM »

The Oberyn/Mountain fight should have been two minutes longer.

I loved the Brienne/Hound battle! It was really exciting. And the scene beforehand, Brienne meeting Arya, and getting one last chance to turn away from the darker path she's been taking, was beautiful. The contrast of who Arya could have been in Brienne and who she really is in herself.

Anyway, my favorite part is when Brienne bites off the Hound's ear.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #165 on: June 18, 2014, 04:05:00 PM »

Honestly, from the couple of spoilers I've read here and there, all the things the show has changed from the book sound incredibly dumb and the show has been a vast improvement on them.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #166 on: June 18, 2014, 04:40:36 PM »

Don't tell me that you're one of those people who enjoys Brienne's aimless wandering in AFFC.

I can't speak for him, but AFFC is my favorite book.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #167 on: June 18, 2014, 05:33:49 PM »

Don't tell me that you're one of those people who enjoys Brienne's aimless wandering in AFFC.

Wait a second, are you telling me such people actually exist?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #168 on: June 18, 2014, 08:14:27 PM »

Yeah, I did end up reading the big spoiler regarding a character that's supposed to have returned by now and honestly I hope it never happens. Maybe it works in the context of the books but it just sounds so lame to me.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #169 on: June 21, 2014, 06:00:50 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2014, 06:03:26 PM by Antonio V »

I'm progressing though season 3, and as far as I can see Robb's position seems to be completely falling apart. At this point, being killed (yep, I got the spoilers about the "red wedding", they're everywhere) might be the best way to end his run with dignity...

Also, when I was watching season 2 I'd never have thought I'd ever say that but... poor Theon. Tongue It seems like even his being killed off in Lumine's game was better for him than what he's going through right now.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #170 on: June 22, 2014, 09:41:55 AM »

Oh, God, of course not.  Even though it involves two of my favorite characters.  But it's better than half of the Seven Kingdoms knowing that Sansa and Arya are alive and well and approximately where they are rather than it being the secret that it absolutely needs to be to keep them alive.

Yeah, I did end up reading the big spoiler regarding a character that's supposed to have returned by now and honestly I hope it never happens. Maybe it works in the context of the books but it just sounds so lame to me.

I'm going to cry.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #171 on: June 22, 2014, 09:55:05 AM »

I'm progressing though season 3, and as far as I can see Robb's position seems to be completely falling apart. At this point, being killed (yep, I got the spoilers about the "red wedding", they're everywhere) might be the best way to end his run with dignity...

I was on holiday in Venice when that down and learnt that from a London Underground blog...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #172 on: June 22, 2014, 10:42:37 AM »

I was on holiday in Venice when that down and learnt that from a London Underground blog...

Oh LOL. They really are everywhere. Tongue

Mine was a bit more deserved than yours, it seems, since I was specifically looking for info on the universe/backstory. I should have known info on the past and present often get mixed together...
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #173 on: June 23, 2014, 11:52:56 PM »

Ok, just watched the last ep again and had a thought.  What's the deal with the coin the faceless killing machine gave Arya and then she gave to the boat captain?  Is it just "money" to the people of Bravos?  A talisman of some kind?  Do only the faceless killing machines carry them?  Is there just one?  Probably not, so how many?  Dozens?  Hundreds?  Are they "one free favor" tokens?  "one way trip home" tickets?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #174 on: June 24, 2014, 08:02:01 AM »

I'm gonna watch The Rains of Castamere later today, so there you go. Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  
« previous next »