Game of Thrones
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:07:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Game of Thrones
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 16086 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: February 29, 2024, 09:38:59 PM »

Just watch the first six seasons, and call it a night after watching Daenerys' fleet sail toward Westeros.  Let that be the last image you will have of the series, and pretend the last two seasons don't exist.

Season 6 also sucks

As does season 5.

Really, you're better off watching the first three seasons and leaving it there. They form a fairly complete narrative arc on their own.

First four.  Danaerys' arc in season 4 sucks, but season 4 completes the John/Ygritte arc with one of the most awesome episodes of the entire series, it completes the Arya/Hound arc in a very satisfying way, and of course the goings-on at King's Landing in season 4 are probably the best storyline in the entire run of the show.  It also has Pedro Pascal's best performance of his career.

Fair, I think season 4 isn't as good as the first three but it's still solid television. Everything after that... not so much.

The heart of the show is Tyrion's shenanigans in King's Landing.  Seasons 2/3 are the best because they have the most Tyrion in King's Landing content.  Those scenes have the best dialogue, the most intricate plots, the most humor and the best acting, they're some of the best TV ever produced.

Season 4 is the climax of that storyline.  After that the show completely falls apart.

Personally I always thought the heart of the show in these first seasons was the fall of the House of Stark, the tragedy of Ned and Robb whose noble intentions and impressive talents all come to naught because of the fatal flaw that is their unwillingness to play the ruthless game of power politics. Tyrion in King's Landing is great, I agree, and I think it offers a great contrast with the Starks because it shows you can be a decently well-intentioned person but also learn to play politics effectively.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #226 on: February 29, 2024, 10:22:32 PM »
« Edited: February 29, 2024, 11:08:43 PM by Chancellor Tanterterg »

Just watch the first six seasons, and call it a night after watching Daenerys' fleet sail toward Westeros.  Let that be the last image you will have of the series, and pretend the last two seasons don't exist.

Season 6 also sucks

As does season 5.

Really, you're better off watching the first three seasons and leaving it there. They form a fairly complete narrative arc on their own.

First four.  Danaerys' arc in season 4 sucks, but season 4 completes the John/Ygritte arc with one of the most awesome episodes of the entire series, it completes the Arya/Hound arc in a very satisfying way, and of course the goings-on at King's Landing in season 4 are probably the best storyline in the entire run of the show.  It also has Pedro Pascal's best performance of his career.

Fair, I think season 4 isn't as good as the first three but it's still solid television. Everything after that... not so much.

The heart of the show is Tyrion's shenanigans in King's Landing.  Seasons 2/3 are the best because they have the most Tyrion in King's Landing content.  Those scenes have the best dialogue, the most intricate plots, the most humor and the best acting, they're some of the best TV ever produced.

Season 4 is the climax of that storyline.  After that the show completely falls apart.

Personally I always thought the heart of the show in these first seasons was the fall of the House of Stark, the tragedy of Ned and Robb whose noble intentions and impressive talents all come to naught because of the fatal flaw that is their unwillingness to play the ruthless game of power politics. Tyrion in King's Landing is great, I agree, and I think it offers a great contrast with the Starks because it shows you can be a decently well-intentioned person but also learn to play politics effectively.

That was never Ned or Robb’s fatal flaw.  Ned was the victim of bad luck and played the game far more effectively than Cersei or - in the case of Season 1 specifically - even Season 1 Tywin.  Had Robert not died exactly when he had, Tywin, Cersei, Joffrey, Tommen, and Myrcella would all be heads on spikes.  Robb was a gifted general who was also a horny teenager who managed to blow an entire war because he couldn’t keep it in his pants.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #227 on: February 29, 2024, 10:56:02 PM »

Just watch the first six seasons, and call it a night after watching Daenerys' fleet sail toward Westeros.  Let that be the last image you will have of the series, and pretend the last two seasons don't exist.

Season 6 also sucks

As does season 5.

First four.  Danaerys' arc in season 4 sucks, but season 4 completes the John/Ygritte arc with one of the most awesome episodes of the entire series, it completes the Arya/Hound arc in a very satisfying way, and of course the goings-on at King's Landing in season 4 are probably the best storyline in the entire run of the show.  It also has Pedro Pascal's best performance of his career.

The heart of the show is Tyrion's shenanigans in King's Landing.  Seasons 2/3 are the best because they have the most Tyrion in King's Landing content.  Those scenes have the best dialogue, the most intricate plots, the most humor and the best acting, they're some of the best TV ever produced.

Season 4 is the climax of that storyline.  After that the show completely falls apart.
Also with Tywin death in S4 the show had really began running out of really interesting villains besides Cersei especially after they completely butchered Euron
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #228 on: February 29, 2024, 11:48:16 PM »
« Edited: February 29, 2024, 11:51:51 PM by Antonio the Sixth »

Season 6 also sucks

As does season 5.

That was never Ned or Robb’s fatal flaw.  Ned was the victim of bad luck and played the game far more effectively than Cersei or - in the case of Season 1 specifically - even Season 1 Tywin.  Had Robert not died exactly when he had, Tywin, Cersei, Joffrey, Tommen, and Myrcella would all be heads on spikes.  Robb was a gifted general who was also a horny teenager who managed to blow an entire war because he couldn’t keep it in his pants.

Ned gave Cersei forewarning of his intentions and entrusted his coup attempt on a notoriously duplicitous guy who had a personal grudge against him. Sure, luck played a role (as it does in every event), but you can still trace his failure back to specific unforced errors that were a product of his fundamental character. The story wouldn't be nearly as compelling if it was just a random outcome of circumstances.

Also while f**king Talisa was really stupid of Robb, what really sealed his fate was beheading Karstark, which was in line with this society's principles of justice (I think the death penalty is inherently unjust but obviously that doesn't really factor in here) but was also a great way to alienate his core supporters.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #229 on: March 01, 2024, 03:22:34 AM »

Not really bad luck for Ned that Robert died when he did -- Cersei made Lancel Lannister arrange for his death.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies