Game of Thrones
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:59:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Game of Thrones
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 15903 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2014, 01:55:40 AM »

Yeah, I don't really get how this "ruins" the Jaime character though (as many people seem to be complaining about this). He was always a interesting, complicated and hypocritical character.  Everybody seems to be upset because they can't get behind him as a "good guy" now. Umm, he threw a 10-year-old child out of a window, he was never going to be a good guy.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2014, 02:40:34 AM »

Yeah, I take this back:

Does anybody else feel like Jaime Lannister is being made into a more sympathetic character?  I'm not sure if losing his hand and his travels with Brienne were meant to actually improve him as a person, but some of us will never forget that he pushed Bran Stark out of a window.  Angry
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2014, 06:28:30 AM »

Interactive map of Westeros
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2014, 12:07:06 PM »

Wrt Jaime/Cersei - strange that they felt the need to make one of the creepiest scenes ever even more creepy.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2014, 12:33:01 PM »

I sometimes wonder if Martin created GOT as a satirical middle-aged version of Austria, with all it's incest, rape, lunatics, people in dungeons, c**nts, whores, dicks, etc.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2014, 01:21:14 PM »

I sometimes wonder if Martin created GOT as a satirical middle-aged version of Austria, with all it's incest, rape, lunatics, people in dungeons, c**nts, whores, dicks, etc.
With Pröll being Tywin? Tongue
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2014, 01:21:21 PM »

No.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2014, 09:33:23 PM »

Thoughts on the show's decision last episode to...essentially start telling their own story about what happens in the North, rather than events from the books?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2014, 09:37:44 PM »

Well, that was an interesting episode... Spoilers for those who have read the books, mass crucifixion ("Fire and Blood!"), Littlefinger being Littlefinger and a good number of invented scenes from King's Landing that were quite amusing, xD

I actually liked the changes in the North storyline (although more sexual violence is probably not what the series needs right now), it does add a sense of uncertainty for book readers, and it was obvious that the series was bound to make major changes to several storylines at some point.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2014, 03:46:01 PM »

I really liked the changes to the storyline in the North, especially the closing scene.  That said, Locke is not as entertaining as Vargo Hoat and I'm a bit disappointed that SPOILERS he appears destined for a different fate than in the books.  Maybe Roose Bolton can send him to Tywin when he fails to kill Bran and the Mountain will end up torturing him to death that way.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2014, 11:28:55 PM »

That last fifteen minutes was great! This show is so good.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2014, 11:45:24 AM »

Wait, so Daenerys is putting off her conquest of Westeros indefinitely?  Ugh, that storyline just seems like it's going nowhere (though of course it's fairly clear that her story is vital to however this series concludes).

And, interesting play from Cersei re: Margaery and Oberyn.  Wonder what she's up to, unless it's just to rebuild bridges instead of being a spiteful bitch all the time.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2014, 12:28:50 PM »

Wait, so Daenerys is putting off her conquest of Westeros indefinitely?  Ugh, that storyline just seems like it's going nowhere (though of course it's fairly clear that her story is vital to however this series concludes).

Now you know how the majority of the book readers felt after book 3... It won't get any more interesting until the end of book 5.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2014, 08:13:42 PM »

And, interesting play from Cersei re: Margaery and Oberyn.  Wonder what she's up to, unless it's just to rebuild bridges instead of being a spiteful bitch all the time.

I thought she was just trying to suck up to the judges in Tyrion's trial.  (Granted, Margaery isn't a judge, but her father is, so it makes sense to suck up to the family.)  Her short term goal seems to be to make sure that Tyrion hangs for Joffrey's murder, so she's trying to make nice with them, letting them know how much she loves her kids, etc.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2014, 10:41:24 AM »

Now you know how the majority of the book readers felt after book 3... It won't get any more interesting until the end of book 5.

Meh, they've never really done a good job with her storyline  since the end of season 1 (other than the episode where she takes Astapoor/gets the first group of unsullied).
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2014, 11:08:36 AM »

Wait, so Daenerys is putting off her conquest of Westeros indefinitely?  Ugh, that storyline just seems like it's going nowhere (though of course it's fairly clear that her story is vital to however this series concludes).

Meh, they've never really done a good job with her storyline  since the end of season 1 (other than the episode where she takes Astapoor/gets the first group of unsullied).

In all fairness, the Daenerys storyline from the books was not really good (Her story in Game of Thrones was fantastic, but I hated her chapters from Clash of Kings, and the ones in Storm and Dance are either amusing or incredibly boring). Season 5 will have to change a lot of things in order to adapt Dance and Feast (and probably parts of Winds), so I hope they make a lot of drastic changes there.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2014, 02:36:21 PM »

Wait, so Daenerys is putting off her conquest of Westeros indefinitely?  Ugh, that storyline just seems like it's going nowhere (though of course it's fairly clear that her story is vital to however this series concludes).

Meh, they've never really done a good job with her storyline  since the end of season 1 (other than the episode where she takes Astapoor/gets the first group of unsullied).

In all fairness, the Daenerys storyline from the books was not really good (Her story in Game of Thrones was fantastic, but I hated her chapters from Clash of Kings, and the ones in Storm and Dance are either amusing or incredibly boring). Season 5 will have to change a lot of things in order to adapt Dance and Feast (and probably parts of Winds), so I hope they make a lot of drastic changes there.

I agree completely; I'm not saying Martin did much better with post-AGoT Danaerys.  However, there are certain characters (Stannis is another one, something that I find a little frustrating given that BookStannis was a pretty complex and interesting character who demonstrated a real capacity for growth while ShowStannis hasn't been very interesting post-Season 2) that D&D seem to have some trouble with.  The "WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS," blondest possible white savior, and Daenarys and Daario: A Westrosi Romantic Comedy flavors didn't/don't really work, although at least she's not been in this season that much.  On the other hand, many other characters like Tywin, Joffrey, Roose Bolton, and Tyrion are even better in the show than they are in the books.  Can't have everything, I suppose Tongue  BTW, I agree with Nix that certain parts of FeastDance will probably get some desperately needed revisions.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2014, 02:15:07 PM »

I must say, despite being eight minutes shorter and with a dissapointing couple of scenes (mostly involving the Dreadfort), this is one of the best episodes I've seen so far. Mace Tyrell, the Iron Bank, Oberyn/Varys and Tyrion's speech were awesome!
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2014, 03:48:05 PM »

Meh, they've never really done a good job with her storyline  since the end of season 1 (other than the episode where she takes Astapoor/gets the first group of unsullied).

I agree completely; I'm not saying Martin did much better with post-AGoT Danaerys.  However, there are certain characters (Stannis is another one, something that I find a little frustrating given that BookStannis was a pretty complex and interesting character who demonstrated a real capacity for growth while ShowStannis hasn't been very interesting post-Season 2) that D&D seem to have some trouble with.  The "WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS," blondest possible white savior, and Daenarys and Daario: A Westrosi Romantic Comedy flavors didn't/don't really work, although at least she's not been in this season that much.  On the other hand, many other characters like Tywin, Joffrey, Roose Bolton, and Tyrion are even better in the show than they are in the books.  Can't have everything, I suppose Tongue  BTW, I agree with Nix that certain parts of FeastDance will probably get some desperately needed revisions.

Ugh, no, not the Iron Bank.  The dialogue was basically just like:

Stannis: I would like more money please.
Bank: No, that makes no sense.  You have no chance of winning.
Davos: But Stannis is really, really cool!
Bank: YOU HAVE TOTALLY CONVINCED US 110%.  HAVE EVERY MONEY.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2014, 04:40:21 PM »

Yup, I wish I had stopped reading after book 3 until RR finished the whole thing.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2014, 07:32:20 PM »

Yup, I wish I had stopped reading after book 3 until RR finished the whole thing.

The second half of book five was pretty good, I thought.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2014, 08:10:55 PM »

The second half of book five was pretty good, I thought.

It is pretty good, but since it lacks about two hundred pages (with what I guess is a lot of important developments), it's not as good as it could have been. The sad part about the gap between Storm of Swords and A Dance with Dragons (ten, twelve years or so?) is that Feast and Dragons still ended up as unfinished books.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2014, 08:13:50 PM »

Personally, I love AFFC. I really look forward to the scenes set in Dorne, Cersei's clumsy glad-handing as Lannister matriarch, and Arya's training. Oh and of course Sansa.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2014, 04:40:35 PM »

I'm really looking forward to episodes 8-10 this season, and season five even more than that. It looks like Sansa (Lords Declarant are next episode), Brienne (I'm betting on a LSH appearance through her), and Bran (looking forward to seeing Struan Rodger) will cover most of their AFFC/ADWD plots this season, which brings exciting possibilities for next season.

I'm pretty sure season five will cover almost all of AFFC and ADWD that isn't in this season, save maybe for the Barristan chapters. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Battle of Ice or Battle of Fire are moved up to end the fifth season. If it were me, I'd move up the former as the latter requires a bunch of build up after the fighting pits scene, which would be a good way to end Dany's storyline for the season. I'm also really looking forward to seeing the new locations next season and the new castings (the Griffs, Doran, Arianne, Euron, Victarion, Wyman Manderly, etc.). Hopefully Roger Allam, Mark Gattis, and Ian Gelder return.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2014, 06:10:49 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2014, 04:38:50 AM by badgate »

^^Please be respectful that some on here haven't read the novels. I tried to start a separate discussion thread for book readers, but it never took off. Best practice is to put book spoilers (anything that hasn't happened in the show up to the present episode) in white text. People can highlight the text if they want to read it.

Anyway, the battle pit scene where Dany tames and rides Rhaegar will probably end episode 9 while the final chapter of ADWD, where Dany comes across the khalasar led by one of the dothraki that betrayed her after Khal Drogo died, will probably end season 5. That's how I'd do it, anyway.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies