Game of Thrones (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:57:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Game of Thrones (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 16067 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« on: May 12, 2014, 03:48:05 PM »

Wait, so Daenerys is putting off her conquest of Westeros indefinitely?  Ugh, that storyline just seems like it's going nowhere (though of course it's fairly clear that her story is vital to however this series concludes).

Now you know how the majority of the book readers felt after book 3... It won't get any more interesting until the end of book 5.

Meh, they've never really done a good job with her storyline  since the end of season 1 (other than the episode where she takes Astapoor/gets the first group of unsullied).

In all fairness, the Daenerys storyline from the books was not really good (Her story in Game of Thrones was fantastic, but I hated her chapters from Clash of Kings, and the ones in Storm and Dance are either amusing or incredibly boring). Season 5 will have to change a lot of things in order to adapt Dance and Feast (and probably parts of Winds), so I hope they make a lot of drastic changes there.

I agree completely; I'm not saying Martin did much better with post-AGoT Danaerys.  However, there are certain characters (Stannis is another one, something that I find a little frustrating given that BookStannis was a pretty complex and interesting character who demonstrated a real capacity for growth while ShowStannis hasn't been very interesting post-Season 2) that D&D seem to have some trouble with.  The "WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS," blondest possible white savior, and Daenarys and Daario: A Westrosi Romantic Comedy flavors didn't/don't really work, although at least she's not been in this season that much.  On the other hand, many other characters like Tywin, Joffrey, Roose Bolton, and Tyrion are even better in the show than they are in the books.  Can't have everything, I suppose Tongue  BTW, I agree with Nix that certain parts of FeastDance will probably get some desperately needed revisions.

Ugh, no, not the Iron Bank.  The dialogue was basically just like:

Stannis: I would like more money please.
Bank: No, that makes no sense.  You have no chance of winning.
Davos: But Stannis is really, really cool!
Bank: YOU HAVE TOTALLY CONVINCED US 110%.  HAVE EVERY MONEY.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 03:27:20 PM »

Loved the fight, but the episode's highlight was Sophie Turner's acting. And Sophie Tuner in that dress later on. And the potential story ramifications of Sansa being out in the open at the Eyrie.

The one thing I wish happened was Tyrion vomiting after Oberyn dies and Tywin sentences him to death. For a while I thought "maybe that won't be the right tone for how they do it on the show," but I think it would have worked.

But, like, the sisters Stark just blabbing all the time about how they're Starks?  wtf?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 07:48:39 AM »

Any thoughts on that battle? (Spoiler: other than some dissapointment at Stannis not showing up until Episode Ten)

I know, right?  Boooooooo.  I care so little about Jon that the adorableness that is Sam did little to make the episode worthwhile.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 09:34:47 AM »

The part where so-and-so died in the last episode was unusually touchy-feely.

Completely unsurprisingly touchy-feely, given the showrunners.  See also "Talisa".  Ugh.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 11:12:39 AM »

Well actually, the thread was always there for discussion up to the latest episodes.
Sorry for you, but it would really be wise to leave this thread until you caught up.

As far as I've seen spoilers are usually marked in white text...

Well, most spoilers in white text are book spoilers, spoilers that are ahead of the show as of now... Most people here don't consider the things that happened in the last two/three episodes spoliers, as the ones who are up-date have already seen them. Once again, I'm sorry for you, as Lumine said, no one wants to encounter spoilers of GoT. I can assure you however that I'll talk of such things only in white text.

They changed the whole story quite a bit for my taste - Pip, Grenn, Thorne... Everyone is dead. Why the f[inks]? That robs us from all the "who is elected Lord Commander storyline".

I don't think it was ever clarified whether or not Thorne died.

Indeed it was not.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 06:10:40 PM »

The Hound/Brienne fight was one of the best duels I've ever seen in any TV show or film.

Ugh.  Ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh.  Go away.  That scene was the worst.  And there was such whiplash, because the scene with the Hound was so excellent afterwards.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 09:41:55 AM »

The Hound/Brienne fight was one of the best duels I've ever seen in any TV show or film.

Ugh.  Ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh.  Go away.  That scene was the worst.  And there was such whiplash, because the scene with the Hound was so excellent afterwards.

Don't tell me that you're one of those people who enjoys Brienne's aimless wandering in AFFC.

Oh, God, of course not.  Even though it involves two of my favorite characters.  But it's better than half of the Seven Kingdoms knowing that Sansa and Arya are alive and well and approximately where they are rather than it being the secret that it absolutely needs to be to keep them alive.

Yeah, I did end up reading the big spoiler regarding a character that's supposed to have returned by now and honestly I hope it never happens. Maybe it works in the context of the books but it just sounds so lame to me.

I'm going to cry.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 05:36:03 AM »

OMG Tywin. I can't believe what I just saw.

Yep. King's Landing is about to become a very nice place, xD

I can imagine... I'm glad Tyrion had his vengeance, by all means, but Tywin deserved a less pathetic death. And yeah, it means Cersei is effectively the Lannister boss... which is gonna be HELL.

They changed the ending too much. The Tyrion/Jaime scene laid out the scene with Tywin and makes it even more understandable why Tyrion did what he did and got what he deserved.

Of all the things in that last episode, I thought those changes were perhaps most understandable.  I agree, it makes more sense in the books, but no one would remember the random Tysha scene from Season 1 who hasn't read the books.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies