Game of Thrones (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:43:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Game of Thrones (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 16142 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« on: April 14, 2014, 12:43:41 PM »

I believe that is the case.  Tommen is the boy's name and the new actor playing him looks a LOT like the kid that played Joffrey.

edit-but Tommen is too young so Cersi will be in charge again.

Actually Tywin would be in charge. He's the Hand of the King, and unlike with Tyrion she can't really maintain any semblance of real power so long as he's in control.

I don't get why the Tyrell's would kill Joffrey? Margaery isn't really anything without Joffrey being married to her. They never even consummated the marriage so she was never even really the queen.

Because he was a sociopathic monster who made Mad King Aerys look like a saint in comparison and had proven to be uncontrollable.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 02:04:57 PM »

Does anybody else feel like Jaime Lannister is being made into a more sympathetic character?  I'm not sure if losing his hand and his travels with Brienne were meant to actually improve him as a person, but some of us will never forget that he pushed Bran Stark out of a window.  Angry

Yes, it happens in the books too. The same can really be said for the Hound - he killed a little boy too, but a lot of people like him. You have to remember that the world in question is very much a crapsack world, and as such it will take a serious dump on people who would otherwise be rather decent individuals. That can make some of them quite jaded.

Jaime is sympathetic as a character because he's not an irredeemable monster like Joffrey, Gregor Clegane, or Ramsey Snow, and as such his motivations are much more human. He has a sense of honor, but he's got other values as well, and the world has forced him to choose between his honor and those other things too many times. It's something a normal human being can empathize with.

Also, he changes as the story goes on. Maybe gets a little less jaded, maybe tries to redeem his honor a bit. And change is what all but one of the book's perspective characters really go through, and we all know what happened to him.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 08:33:29 AM »

It was pretty much like the books, but... I'm surprised at how I felt when it ended.

The end was quite a bit more brutal than in the books if I recall correctly. The Mountain didn't squeeze the Viper's head like that in the books, just smashed his head into the ground really hard. The show has been upping the level of brutality since the Red Wedding, IMO.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 08:18:07 AM »

Ok, just watched the last ep again and had a thought.  What's the deal with the coin the faceless killing machine gave Arya and then she gave to the boat captain?  Is it just "money" to the people of Bravos?  A talisman of some kind?  Do only the faceless killing machines carry them?  Is there just one?  Probably not, so how many?  Dozens?  Hundreds?  Are they "one free favor" tokens?  "one way trip home" tickets?

You'll find out next season. Or you could just read the books...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies