SurveyUSA: Minnesota voters strongly opposed to recreational marijuana
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:03:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SurveyUSA: Minnesota voters strongly opposed to recreational marijuana
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: SurveyUSA: Minnesota voters strongly opposed to recreational marijuana  (Read 2044 times)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2014, 04:11:25 PM »

If a solid Republican state like Texas is in favor of legalization 60/40, I see no reason to doubt that a solid Democratic state is 60/40 against marijuana.

This isn't really an issue that divides along clear left-right lines.

Well let's consider here. Which is going to be more supportive, Michele Bachmann's district or my neighborhood?

Your district, I'd imagine, in this case, but that makes what AggregateDemand is saying make even less sense.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2014, 04:13:48 PM »

If a solid Republican state like Texas is in favor of legalization 60/40, I see no reason to doubt that a solid Democratic state is 60/40 against marijuana.

This isn't really an issue that divides along clear left-right lines.

Well let's consider here. Which is going to be more supportive, Michele Bachmann's district or my neighborhood?

Since it would help explain why they voted for her, Bachmann's. Tongue
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2014, 04:35:54 PM »

A lot of seniors in Minnesota.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2014, 07:56:03 PM »

Looks like an outlier, but polls are all over the map on this issue.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2014, 08:38:34 PM »

This surprised me quite me bit. I thought MN would be among the first ten states to legalize it, but to be honest, 99% of that is me buying into BRTDs fanciful image of the state.
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2014, 09:43:28 PM »

Hopefully this is true.
Also the racial argument doesn't fly because there is the Somalian population who are still willing to support traditional values and not smoke pot.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2014, 12:06:59 AM »

While this is a bit of a nick, we shouldn't force something like this onto Minnesota if people are opposed to it, just wait until the public opinion changes.

And wait, what are Dayton's positions on Drugs?
He has a hard stance on illegal drugs, opposes recreational marijuana, and is tentative on medical marijuana, but is widely being accused as the man "blocking" treatment to those with illnesses and seizures. Dayton though has been told by a variety of cops, public health commissioners, and MN medical associations the harms of it like higher blood pressure, larger risks of heart attacks, the impairment of drivers and increase in the rates of car accidents, interferes with learning, judgment, concentration and memory, affects brain development within a baby during a pregnancy, makes you more mentally insane, get hallucinations, feel dizzy and fatigue, destroys brain cells, damages the lungs, is a gateway to other worse drugs from experience and pleasure in feeling high, can destroy the lives of high school and college teens etc.  Nonetheless, he's still trying to find a middle line that the legislature and public health officials can agree on and still find a way to reduce seizure rates among children. Dayton is not the enemy and whether giving specific parts of medical marijuana to 5 year olds is proven to work or not, there are better ways out there for quality care for kids with seizures, or adults with Alzheimer's or help with arthritis, anxiety or depression issues.

And despite my opposition to both types of marijuana, this poll is too skewed to the right (with the exception of minimum wage and Klobuchar's approval). Last time I checked, Dayton and Franken had approvals in the high 50s and no way is Obama/Obamacare that unpopular. Ohio is more socially conservative than MN to and Quinnipiac barely had a majority of Ohioans in support of recreational marijuana (though that may have been skewed a little bit, to), so it would pass if it went to a referendum in MN, but very unlikely to happen since Atty. General Lori Swanson, DFL, also opposes synthetic drugs and would make sure it wouldn't get to the ballot.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2014, 12:41:06 AM »

Dayton though has been told by a variety of cops, public health commissioners, and MN medical associations the harms of it like higher blood pressure, larger risks of heart attacks, the impairment of drivers and increase in the rates of car accidents
1. Lots of things do that. This isn't a particularly damning revalation.
2. Exaggeration.
3. Just don't drive while high. Treat it like alcohol.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Much like alcohol, a perfectly legal drug, and a wide variety of legal medications.

Proof?

1. Correlation, not causation.
2. No, it does not.

So?

1. Again, proof?
2. Exaggeration.

Disputed; not definitively proven.

If they are irresponsible idiots. Most people, however, much like with alcohol, will be fine.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2014, 12:45:19 AM »

Dayton though has been told by a variety of cops, public health commissioners, and MN medical associations the harms of it like higher blood pressure, larger risks of heart attacks, the impairment of drivers and increase in the rates of car accidents
1. Lots of things do that. This isn't a particularly damning revalation.
2. Exaggeration.
3. Just don't drive while high. Treat it like alcohol.

Much like alcohol, a perfectly legal drug, and a wide variety of legal medications.

Proof?

1. Correlation, not causation.
2. No, it does not.

So?

1. Again, proof?
2. Exaggeration.

Disputed; not definitively proven.

If they are irresponsible idiots. Most people, however, much like with alcohol, will be fine.

I don't think the alcohol comparison will work, since I'm pretty sure he supports prohibition as well. At least he's consistent.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2014, 06:45:59 AM »

State full of white people doesn't see the need to repeal laws that are only enforced against brown people, more at eleven.

Not the most "responsible" comment ever written, but nevertheless your post made me laugh. Smiley
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2014, 03:47:02 PM »

State full of white people doesn't see the need to repeal laws that are only enforced against brown people, more at eleven.

Not the most "responsible" comment ever written, but nevertheless your post made me laugh. Smiley

It's also quite true. Which makes it not really funny.

Whites and Blacks both use marijuana at the same rate, but guess which race is more likely to be incarcerated for it? And it's not even close.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies