Opinion of Aggregate Demand
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:23:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of Aggregate Demand
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Aggregate Demand
FP
HP
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Opinion of Aggregate Demand  (Read 3053 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2014, 01:22:46 AM »

Oh that's right, I remember now that he "wasn't sure" if he'd actually stab me or not.  Roll Eyes

To my knowledge, none of the mods, including you, ever claimed that he threatened to kill you.  The words used were "stab" and "assault".
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2014, 01:30:25 AM »

Ah, got it.  I'll keep that in mind if anybody ever actually stabs me.  "It's okay Officer, he obviously wasn't trying to kill me!"
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2014, 01:34:46 AM »

Ah, got it.  I'll keep that in mind if anybody ever actually stabs me.  "It's okay Officer, he obviously wasn't trying to kill me!"

Joe, if you are so confident that he actually threatened to kill you, why didn't you say that back when it happened?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2014, 03:39:32 AM »

Because what f--king difference does it make?
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2014, 03:55:35 AM »

For anyone like me who skipped straight to this page, they're not talking about Aggregate Demand.
Meursault
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2014, 04:31:42 PM »

AggregateDemand's problem (and I realize this is going to be a 'sagepost', and I don't really care) is that he's enslaved to bad metaphors. E.g.:

If you eat 3,000 calories per day, you're going to have to burn calories to maintain healthy weight. You can lift weights to increase work output and gain muscle mass. You can run and do cardio training to increase work output and endurance. You can walk around in circles, which burns insufficient calories, and only makes you good at walking in circles.

Republicans are the people who say "If we're not going to change our workout regimen, we might as well cut government caloric intake to 2,000 calories per day, and stop walking circles". Democrats are the people who say "I can't believe Republicans think there is something better than walking in circles".

Explaining government nutritional science to American liberals is like trying to fell Ironbark with a dull spoon. Of course liberals think Republicans are anorexics. Anyone who stands between them and the buffet is fascist pig...

This is an incredibly bad set of metaphorical imagery for a few reasons, not the least of which is that society is not a metabolic organism; it does not function in predictable ways - contra the Enlightenment-era tendency to view society through a framework of essentially static images - and so there is no equivalences to 'exercise', 'overeating', 'caloric intake control', and so on. The economy is not physiological.

This is a problem with most contemporary political frameworks, and I genuinely think a lot of problems could be solved if we simply had a different imaginary vocabulary to express them in. My conception of things is much closer to smoke circulating in a fan blade, or maybe some of the more chaotic concepts emerging out of quantum physics. Conceiving of society as an essentially predictable pattern of cause-and-effect correlations is so eighteenth century.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies