WV-Gov: Manchin could run in '16
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:28:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WV-Gov: Manchin could run in '16
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: WV-Gov: Manchin could run in '16  (Read 2063 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 15, 2014, 11:26:52 AM »

But will decide after November.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 11:29:25 AM »

So who would he appoint? Tomblin or Tennant?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 11:32:21 AM »

I can't say I really blame him. He was more popular as Gov and I'm sure got more stuff done. It would be easier to win than the Senate seat, too.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 11:59:48 AM »

RIP that senate seat
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 04:11:19 PM »

Too bad Manchin isn't 20 years younger and interested in a long legislative career.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 04:17:29 PM »

Tennant would be a good appointee if she does very well against Capito. If she barely looses to Capito, she can probably beat 90% of the WV-GOP especially with incumbency.

If not her, then maybe Carte Goodwin again.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 04:31:37 PM »

Tennant would be a good appointee if she does very well against Capito. If she barely looses to Capito, she can probably beat 90% of the WV-GOP especially with incumbency.

If not her, then maybe Carte Goodwin again.
Yes, seriously, I love Tennant and I'm sure she will do well against Capito. A perfect choice for an appointment.

And Carte Goodwin, hmmm, I don't know.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 06:52:15 AM »

I won't be shocked if Manchin wants to go back to the Governor's Mansion in 2016.

He seems bored in the United States Senate.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 02:08:17 PM »

Ugh, I feel so bad for WV.  Trapped by a decrepit, corrupt, declining industry and their hack politicians.  About their only hope was for another Sen Byrd.  I guess their second best hope is a long population decline.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 02:41:46 PM »

Ugh, I feel so bad for WV.  Trapped by a decrepit, corrupt, declining industry and their hack politicians.  About their only hope was for another Sen Byrd.  I guess their second best hope is a long population decline.
I dunno, Goodwin's cool, hopefully he runs in 2016.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 03:47:49 PM »

Goodwin is still very young, but he was considered the most left wing member of the Senate during his tenure. I don't know what his future holds.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 04:15:41 PM »

Wait so he resigned the Governor's post to be elected a Senator, now he wants the Governorship back? A little indecisive perhaps.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 06:51:08 PM »

The Democrats in West Virginia are caught in a catch-22. If Manchin runs, the GOP can nail him on being unable to make up his mind, and this race is no worse than Tossup Tilt/R and they lose the Senate Seat in 2018. If Manchin doesn't run the Governors Seat is gone, and they probably still lose the Senate seat in 2018.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 07:36:50 PM »

that or the WV Mountain party (green party) somehow becomes organized and funded
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 07:55:45 PM »

Goodwin is still very young, but he was considered the most left wing member of the Senate during his tenure. I don't know what his future holds.

OT, but why do WV politicians always seem to have such hoity-toity names like Carte and Gaston and Jennings and Chapman? Especially considering the general population there seems more disposed to names like, say, Earl Ray.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 07:58:04 PM »

OT, but why do WV politicians always seem to have such hoity-toity names like Carte and Gaston and Jennings and Chapman? Especially considering the general population there seems more disposed to names like, say, Earl Ray.
Hell if I know, but I'd bloody love to be called Carte. (Even if it does make me sound like a bit of a posh twat)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 08:15:43 PM »

Carte, Jennings, and Chapman all are/were common names just like Earl Ray. Take my own family from West Virginia for example. My great-grandfathers name was Tammy, my great-great grandfather's name was Hiram, and my uncle, grandpa, and great-grandpa from my other side of the family have or had Preston somewhere in their names. Likewise, my grandmother's mother was named Bertha and my grandfather's mother was named Velma.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 12:06:43 AM »

Carte, Jennings, and Chapman all are/were common names just like Earl Ray. Take my own family from West Virginia for example. My great-grandfathers name was Tammy, my great-great grandfather's name was Hiram, and my uncle, grandpa, and great-grandpa from my other side of the family have or had Preston somewhere in their names. Likewise, my grandmother's mother was named Bertha and my grandfather's mother was named Velma.

IIRC, it is common in West Virginia to often name children using ancestral surnames.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 12:14:56 AM »

IIRC, it is common in West Virginia to often name children using ancestral surnames.

This is true. Names like Jennings, Chapman, and Booth don't really stand out any more than Mike, Nick and Walt.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2014, 12:46:02 PM »

I think his brother or cousin is the US Attorney in Charleston, read the WV papers for a couple of days and you'd think he's putting half the state away for corruption.  Bankers for embezzlement, arson insurance schemes, of course a bunch of rural county elected officials, plus drugs, drugs and more drugs.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2014, 02:47:59 PM »

Yeah, that seems to be the case. I'll ask my grandmother about it when she comes over this evening, since she grew up there.

I think his brother or cousin is the US Attorney in Charleston, read the WV papers for a couple of days and you'd think he's putting half the state away for corruption.  Bankers for embezzlement, arson insurance schemes, of course a bunch of rural county elected officials, plus drugs, drugs and more drugs.
I suspect he will run for Attorney General and later Governor in a few years.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2014, 03:37:40 PM »

No offense, Sanchez, but that's freaking hillarious.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2014, 01:04:50 PM »

Just a random aside--One of things Sen Byrd dragged into WV during his porkosaurus days was the FBI Criminal Justice Information Services Division which is in Clarksburg WV.  One of the things the CJIS handles is backgound checks for guns, so when Manchin or any WV Sen backs expanded backgound checks, they're, in part, backing more jobs for WV.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2014, 08:02:37 PM »

If Manchin wins the governorship again in 2016, I could easily see one of the current Democratic down-ballot statewide officeholders being appointed to the U.S. Senate seat.

Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2014, 06:38:56 PM »

I'm reviving this topic because the West Virginia Poll just gave us new approval numbers for Senator Manchin.

http://www.charlestondailymail.com/article/20140829/DM01/140829209/1276

Manchin's new approval rating is:

Approval: 45%
Disapproval: 31%

Could the improvement in his in-state approval rating increase his likelihood of running for governor? The "Disapproval" number is underwent a steep decline while approval only picked up 2 points. People aren't too awfully pissed at him, but they don't feel like they can trust him.

EDIT: Tomblin also faced a large decline, 11 points, in approval. Opinion of legislature control favors Republicans.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies