How do you plan on celebrating Easter this weekend?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:16:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How do you plan on celebrating Easter this weekend?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ...
I don't/Nothing that I wouldn't do any other day

Church

Visiting family/friends

Alone

Special breakfast or dinner

Smoking pot (420 blaze it)

Easter egg hunt

Watching TV specials about Easter

Other tradition (Specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: How do you plan on celebrating Easter this weekend?  (Read 1704 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2014, 07:59:39 AM »

Ernest why do you go to two different churches?
Because I am a Christian Universalist without a church which hews to that position nearby, so I go to the UU church to deal with the Universalist aspect of my soul and to Christian churches for things such as bible study that at least at present I am unable to obtain at the UU church I go to. (It's fairly small, so aside from one monthly spirituality forum, they only have the weekly service with no pre-church study groups.  The one in Columbia is larger and closer, but is not to my taste for a number of reasons.)  There were some Universalist churches that did not participate in the merger of the Unitarians and Universalists, but the closest are in North Carolina and I'm smack dab in the middle of the Midlands.

But actually, it's more than two churches.  Where I go for Wednesday bible study is close to home and thus convenient for that, but as I pointed out, my UU church doesn't have a Sunday school and is some distance from me.  There's no way I could go to Sunday school at a church near me and make it to my UU church, yet I do want to go to Sunday school, so I do that at another church about midway between where I live and the UU church.  My normal Sunday routine is to leave home no later than 8:45, Sunday school from 9:30 to 10:15 (they start their Sunday service at 10:30) and then get to my UU church in plenty of time for the 11:00 service.  I get back home around 1:00 most Sundays, 2:00 on the first Sunday of the month when my UU church has a pot luck after the service.

As I think I have mentioned before, my UU church does not hold a service on the fourth Sunday of each month, so I typically use that Sunday to attend the service at one of the Christian churches I regularly visit for Bible study and Sunday school.

I've probably said this before... but you're a fascinating creature.

Thank you.  I'm quite aware that my having multiple churches is odd, yet I find it works for me.  I certainly wouldn't mind having but a single church as most people do, yet on the other hand, it does give me a wider variety of people to be friends with.  Since I'm not on Facebook, if I want a lot of friends, I have to do it the old-fashioned way.  In person.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2014, 10:22:46 AM »

I really can't stand holidays....tommorrow night we're going out with friends to some new trendy place with a well known local chef.  It sounds good and we always have fun when we head out together.

Sunday afternoon we'll go to my sister's.....she's a very good cook and doesn't mind the family descending on her for special occasions.  I'll drink too much and Mrs. Grumps will drive home.

Since the weather is nice we'll work around the yard Saturday and Sunday morning/early afternoon.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2014, 11:07:32 AM »

Most of my friends are going home for Easter, so this weekend isn't going to be very interesting. The one thing I'm looking forward to is the last women's lacrosse home game of the regular season, against Virginia Tech. It should be fun and we should win.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2014, 01:15:29 PM »

Same thing I do every Christmas and Easter... when someone wishes me a Happy one, I tell them I'm an atheist and give them a cold glare.

Other than that I'm going to get sh*tf*ced and watch the NHL playoffs.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2014, 02:09:35 PM »

Get totally hammered and wake up three days later in a cave.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2014, 03:55:49 AM »

Attended my local church's Good Friday service yesterday, going to the Easter Sunday service tomorrow. Also ate vegetarian yesterday, and will be seeing some friends on Monday.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2014, 06:31:03 AM »

Today evening we'll have a typical Easter dinner, with Easter ham, cheese and "Osterpinze", that's some kind of sweet yeast dough bread. At night we'll go to Easter night service, than watch the Easter fires a bit. Tomorrow afternoon all my relatives will meet at grandma's. Monday I guess I will stay at home all day, not doing really much...
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2014, 08:44:10 AM »

It used to be visiting family and having a big dinner, but not since my grandma died last year. We hadn't had Easter egg hunts since we were young.

This year, it'll probably just be a special dinner (and perhaps a breakfast in the morning).
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2014, 12:21:26 PM »

On Monday (a holiday), my whole family will meet at my brother's house for some cake eating, coffee and talking.

These are the Easter baskets that I made for my 2 nieces (6 and 7 years) and my nephew (7 years):

Each will get 10€ from me (for the piggybox), my nephew will get an additional coupon worth of 10€ for a store and my 2 nieces will get some T-shirts each (not on the picture).

Traditionally, the baskets will be hidden somewhere in the garden and the children need to find them.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies