Jamelle Bouie on the fallacy of the USA becoming "majority-minority"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:06:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Jamelle Bouie on the fallacy of the USA becoming "majority-minority"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jamelle Bouie on the fallacy of the USA becoming "majority-minority"  (Read 1714 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 16, 2014, 07:25:46 AM »

The author has riffed on these same themes before, but here's the latest entry:

link

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 05:38:16 PM »

*bump*

A followup on this: An increasing number of Hispanics identified as "white" on the 2010 census forms who had not identified as white on the 2000 census:

link
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 11:28:51 AM »
« Edited: May 23, 2014, 11:46:58 AM by Kevin »

I think an example of the future of America would be people like Barack Obama or George Zimmerman(for a lack of a better example). People who may appear to be "non-white" but are basically culturally "white".

I mean it's already a fallacy imo to point to a future U.S. as being a non-white majority. Ex. many "white" Americans already have mixed ancestries. Case in point-Elizabeth Warren who has Native American ancestry.

While even in the U.S. and other new world countries like Canada and Australia many if not most entirely European descended people can count multiple ethnicities among their lineage.

For instance, my great-great grandparents from what I know only married those of the same ethnicity(German or Irish). While my grandparents intermarried with those of different European ethnicities. My German descended grandfather married my grandmother who is mainly of British descent.  While on my other side my Irish grandfather married my Dutch grandmother.

So imo this isn't a really radical change at all. Esp. considering that past immigrants like Germans, Poles, and Italians were regarded in the same ways as Hispanics are today.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 12:09:52 PM »

What this article proves is that race is entirely a social construct. That being said, if the Census is to have racial categories, they should have a category that Hispanics can identify with besides white. A large number of Hispanics also put mixed/other, which is more accurate for the darker-skinned looking mestizos. In Peru, most mestizos identify more with their Amerindian side. (In Argentina on the other hand, they see themselves as European.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies