Who's likely to win the 2016 GOP South Carolina primary?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:06:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who's likely to win the 2016 GOP South Carolina primary?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who's likely to win 2016 South Carolina GOP primary?
Chris Christie

Scott Walker

Jeb Bush

Ted Cruz

Mike Huckabee

Paul Ryan

Rand Paul

Marco Rubio

Rick Perry

Rick Santorum

Jon Huntsman

John Kasich

Peter King

Ben Carson

Mitt Romney

Scott Brown

Donald Trump

Bobby Jindal

Condi Rice

Steve King

Mike Pence

Rob Portman

Brian Sandoval

Tim Pawlenty

Newt Gingrich

John Thune

Nikki Haley

Kelly Ayotte

Sam Brownback

Susana Martinez

Haley Barbour

Allen West

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Who's likely to win the 2016 GOP South Carolina primary?  (Read 902 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 16, 2014, 08:39:42 AM »

Which 2016 GOP candidate is likely to win the First-in-the-South primaries, the state that "picks presidents"?
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 11:05:22 AM »

Probably Bush. 
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 11:27:00 AM »

Probably Ted Cruz.  He's the strongest candidate at this point anyway.
daveosupremo
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.32, S: -2.09

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 11:39:38 AM »

I think South Carolina will be the first real opportunity for Marco Rubio to shine. Walker will primarily focus on Iowa and Florida, Christie will focus on New Hampshire and Florida, Paul will be heavy in all four states, and Rubio will try to focus on the more traditional GOP voters in the south.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 11:52:01 AM »

I think South Carolina will be the first real opportunity for Marco Rubio to shine. Walker will primarily focus on Iowa and Florida, Christie will focus on New Hampshire and Florida, Paul will be heavy in all four states, and Rubio will try to focus on the more traditional GOP voters in the south.

I strongly object to you identifying "traditional GOP voters" as socially conservative Southerners.

As for the OP, I'd guess Cruz or Rubio.
Maistre
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 12:03:08 PM »

I strongly object to you identifying "traditional GOP voters" as socially conservative Southerners.

Hey man, like us or not, your stuck with us.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 02:54:50 PM »

Paul or Cruz
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 04:04:32 PM »

I never said I didn't like you, but I'd say we are the more "traditional Republicans" of the two factions.  I highly doubt Lincoln, Eisenhower and even Reagan would be championing the Tea Party.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 04:38:45 PM »

There is utterly zero need for most of those options to be present in the poll. Jesus.

Voted Walker.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 05:07:14 PM »

It's early days, but given that Bush was leading in the Mississippi primary poll, he stands in good stead in SC.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 05:34:10 PM »

South Carolina does have more moderates than one would expect from a Republican primary, so theoretically that should benefit Paul (when push comes to shove, I expect Paul's support base to more closely resemble that of his father's presidential bids than his Senate bid.) However, given his father's poor performances in South Carolina, it could also go for whomever emerges as the establishment candidate. Unless a single viable far-right emerges before the primary, I don't see that wing's standard bearer winning South Carolina.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 05:53:31 PM »

Florida isn't one of the early states anymore.
daveosupremo
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.32, S: -2.09

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 08:23:10 PM »

Florida isn't one of the early states anymore.

I stand corrected. That hurts Rubio, and maybe Walker too, but helps Paul out, because he'll do very well in Colorado. Walker will do well in Minnesota, so it may be a wash for him.
I still think Rubio does well in South Carolina. What I meant by traditional GOP voters is the more mainstream, pro-military socially and economically conservative wing of the GOP, more akin to a George W. Bush than a Ron'/Rand Paul. Rubio is ideologically very post-Reagan/pre-tea party GOP, which I think plays well throughout the south.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 08:34:43 PM »

You need someone who can connect with enough of the evangelicals and the foreign-policy hawks and don't forget about the richers.

If Bush runs, probably him. I don't see Paul or Cruz doing well with this crowd.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 10:52:40 PM »

Huckabee could totally win this, but again, he still lost to McCain in 08. The evangelical vote's role is important, if not a little over-stated. This is a much better state for the establishment candidate than either IA or NH.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 10:58:03 PM »

Huckabee
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 11:13:12 AM »

I am guessing either Ted Cruz, Mike Huckabee, Mike Pence (if he decides to run) or Marco Rubio. Rick Santorum could have a shot there if the other ultra-conservative candidates decide to either not run or fizzle out due to campaign gaffes.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 12:16:32 PM »

Of those showing interest in a run so far, Cruz and Huckabee look to me like the only two who could win it without first winning Iowa.
whanztastic
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 02:23:55 PM »

You need someone who can connect with enough of the evangelicals and the foreign-policy hawks and don't forget about the richers.

If Bush runs, probably him. I don't see Paul or Cruz doing well with this crowd.

That's Cruz's crowd.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 04:25:15 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2014, 04:28:07 PM by Illini142 »

I never said I didn't like you, but I'd say we are the more "traditional Republicans" of the two factions.  I highly doubt Lincoln, Eisenhower and even Reagan would be championing the Tea Party.

Lincoln and Eisenhower don't embody anything similar to the modern GOP, and Reagan would likely be similar to a Scott Walker-level involvement in the Tea Party.

You seem to overcompensate for New England Republicans in most of these threads. You don't have to pretend like you guys run the GOP. If you did, your reputation would only decline due to the state that the GOP is in right now.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 04:42:10 PM »

Cruz or Paul.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 06:07:41 PM »

I never said I didn't like you, but I'd say we are the more "traditional Republicans" of the two factions.  I highly doubt Lincoln, Eisenhower and even Reagan would be championing the Tea Party.

Lincoln and Eisenhower don't embody anything similar to the modern GOP, and Reagan would likely be similar to a Scott Walker-level involvement in the Tea Party.

You seem to overcompensate for New England Republicans in most of these threads. You don't have to pretend like you guys run the GOP. If you did, your reputation would only decline due to the state that the GOP is in right now.

Eisenhower was arguably the most fiscally conservative President since WWII; it's a liberal myth that Obama is somehow the legacy of old school Republicans.  Simply wishful thinking (I guess if my party had an embarrassing history of racism, I might have incentive to rewrite history, too, though).  And considering Reagan pragmatically raised taxes when he needed to and pushed for sensible gun control, I think the Tea Partiers would be shouting RINO.  And how do I act like we're running the party?  I've never even come close to making that assertion.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 06:11:20 PM »

Eisenhower was arguably the most fiscally conservative President since WWII; it's a liberal myth that Obama is somehow the legacy of old school Republicans.  Simply wishful thinking (I guess if my party had an embarrassing history of racism, I might have incentive to rewrite history, too, though).  And considering Reagan pragmatically raised taxes when he needed to and pushed for sensible gun control, I think the Tea Partiers would be shouting RINO.  And how do I act like we're running the party?  I've never even come close to making that assertion.

The Eisenhower rates were 90%. How on earth is that fiscal conservatism?

It's a pure fiction to claim that Ronald Reagan, overall, raised taxes. He did so in certain circumstances in order to save the budget, but you can't call cutting the top rate from 70% all the way down to 28% by the end of his term "raising taxes".
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2014, 06:53:15 AM »

Probably Bush if he runs. If Huckster runs he'll also be well-placed. Otherwise it kinda depends on Iowa.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2014, 09:15:29 AM »

Bush is the best guess.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies