Martinez exposé shows nasty side
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:04:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Martinez exposé shows nasty side
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Martinez exposé shows nasty side  (Read 9431 times)
Mordecai
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2014, 08:35:15 AM »

This was pretty weaksauce to be honest, especially compared to their Chris Christie exposé which did uncover a lot of dirt. So she's a lot nastier when consulting with her aides than she appears in public? Most politicians are probably like that.

I have a severely autistic brother who is in a group home, and I use the word "retard" all the time. Why? Because I’m not oversensitive and I am not actually calling my brother it. What I really learned is that most of our under one thousand post red avatar newbies are childish, easily offended, and extremely ignorant.

I actually agree with this and if anyone has ever called someone else a moron or an idiot they'd be guilty of the same thing, it's just that people don't remember those also used to be medical terms.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2014, 09:43:58 AM »

Well, I'm happy with the suggestion that she's interested in running for national office.
daveosupremo
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.32, S: -2.09

« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2014, 11:08:18 AM »

If this story is true, then the Republican pres nominee may have to pick a boring, uninspiring John Thune, who could only deliver Iowa or a Minnesota, but maybe there is more to Martinez that we don't know.
What's with your obsession with John Thune? And why would this article mean the eventual nominee needs to pick Thune. The "boring, uninspiring" white guy ticket is a thing of the past. By your logic, if Martinez is disqualified, the eventual nominee needn't look at any governor or any female. Skip Rubio. Skip Cruz. Skip everyone in favor of a guy who delivers no votes and irritates the base, who is also running for his own reelection to the Senate?
If you think this matters then this is the first political cycle you have ever paid any attention to. Remember last time when Romney liked to fire people so they would lose their insurance and die? Republicans want dirty air and water? Obama is a smoker, and a secret Muslim extremist who plotted with Bill Ayers to seize control of the White House? Hit pieces happen all the time, and people don't care about any of this. To paraphrase Joe Biden (the current vice president), politicians using swear words is not a "big f'ing deal".
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2014, 01:39:34 PM »

I have a severely autistic brother who is in a group home, and I use the word "retard" all the time. Why? Because I’m not oversensitive and I am not actually calling my brother it.  an asshole.
People like you are worse than cancer.
If this story is true, then the Republican pres nominee may have to pick a boring, uninspiring John Thune, who could only deliver Iowa or a Minnesota, but maybe there is more to Martinez that we don't know.
Thune can't deliver Iowa anymore than anyone else can.

Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2014, 03:43:42 PM »

I have a severely autistic brother who is in a group home, and I use the word "retard" all the time. Why? Because I’m not oversensitive and I am not actually calling my brother it.  an asshole.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2014, 04:03:36 PM »

You guys are being insensitive to those who do not have assholes. Only those without assholes can call somebody an asshole.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2014, 07:14:38 PM »

What's with your obsession with John Thune? And why would this article mean the eventual nominee needs to pick Thune. The "boring, uninspiring" white guy ticket is a thing of the past. By your logic, if Martinez is disqualified, the eventual nominee needn't look at any governor or any female. Skip Rubio. Skip Cruz. Skip everyone in favor of a guy who delivers no votes and irritates the base, who is also running for his own reelection to the Senate?
If you think this matters then this is the first political cycle you have ever paid any attention to. Remember last time when Romney liked to fire people so they would lose their insurance and die? Republicans want dirty air and water? Obama is a smoker, and a secret Muslim extremist who plotted with Bill Ayers to seize control of the White House? Hit pieces happen all the time, and people don't care about any of this. To paraphrase Joe Biden (the current vice president), politicians using swear words is not a "big f'ing deal".
I'm not obsessed with Thune, I just think that playing it safe and reliable may be better for the GOP VP choice, unless the nominee's campaign implodes and they need to jolt the campaign.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2014, 07:51:13 PM »

I have a severely autistic brother who is in a group home, and I use the word "retard" all the time. Why? Because I’m not oversensitive and I am not actually calling my brother it.  an asshole.
You guys are being insensitive to those who do not have assholes. Only those without assholes can call somebody an asshole.

Wow I thought you were a total insensitive jerk, but then you compared the stigma and struggle of mental retardation to the problem of not having a butt. Now I know how much of a non-asshole you are.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2014, 08:01:29 PM »

Wow I thought you were a total insensitive jerk, but then you compared the stigma and struggle of mental retardation to the problem of not having a butt. Now I know how much of a non-asshole you are.

Wow. Do you really think that I don't understand the troubles and stigma associated with mental retardation after watching my parents having to place my own autistic brother in a group home before the state Baker Acted him, or how my family was asked to leave McDonalds when he threw a fit, or how he wasn't able to talk until he was seven? Do you have any idea what that is like? I deal with things with humor. So does my mom. We call each other "retard" when somebody does something stupid.

Seriously, I know you've been here only a year, and I know you don't venture out of the 2016 boards to the Forum Community because you’re afraid of having "true leftists" big boys like Oakvale smash your hackish fantasies, but seriously, if you take one peak, you will see that I am pretty open about this.

This thread is about Susana Martinez, not my family. I happen to think that Martinez is still qualified for the Presidency because she uses a certain word. And believe me, Hillary has said far, far worse.

Finally, I'd recommend you learn a little about satire. You see, if somebody who has an autistic brother who is constantly on his mind and in his heart uses the term "retard", it is NOT going to be negative. It's a word. If I am an insensitive jerk for using a term that I don't actually apply to my own brother, or anyone for that matter in a serious manner, than surely you must be as well. Because if the same logic is used, than you’re degrading those without assholes (and of course that’s not even possible, but the point stands) in the same manner.

I’m so glad people like you stay in the 2016 board and don’t spread their vile filth into the other corners of the forum, because people like you truly are the worst.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2014, 08:09:10 PM »

As a person with Aspergers, this thread makes me sad. Sad
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2014, 10:32:37 PM »

People like you are worse than cancer.
Thune can't deliver Iowa anymore than anyone else can.

Isn't there some overlap between Iowa and South Dakota media markets?

I would also think he'd be well suited to energizing the conservative Christian Bob Van der Plaats type voters in the western part of the state.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2014, 03:48:10 AM »

Really, guys? We're not allowed say "that's retarded" any more?
Knives
solopop
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2014, 04:36:00 AM »

Wow. Do you really think that I don't understand the troubles and stigma associated with mental retardation after watching my parents having to place my own autistic brother in a group home before the state Baker Acted him, or how my family was asked to leave McDonalds when he threw a fit, or how he wasn't able to talk until he was seven? Do you have any idea what that is like? I deal with things with humor. So does my mom. We call each other "retard" when somebody does something stupid.

Seriously, I know you've been here only a year, and I know you don't venture out of the 2016 boards to the Forum Community because you’re afraid of having "true leftists" big boys like Oakvale smash your hackish fantasies, but seriously, if you take one peak, you will see that I am pretty open about this.

This thread is about Susana Martinez, not my family. I happen to think that Martinez is still qualified for the Presidency because she uses a certain word. And believe me, Hillary has said far, far worse.

Finally, I'd recommend you learn a little about satire. You see, if somebody who has an autistic brother who is constantly on his mind and in his heart uses the term "retard", it is NOT going to be negative. It's a word. If I am an insensitive jerk for using a term that I don't actually apply to my own brother, or anyone for that matter in a serious manner, than surely you must be as well. Because if the same logic is used, than you’re degrading those without assholes (and of course that’s not even possible, but the point stands) in the same manner.

I’m so glad people like you stay in the 2016 board and don’t spread their vile filth into the other corners of the forum, because people like you truly are the worst.

Just because you and your family are okay with calling each other retards, doesn't make it okay. It's a revolting word and it's use in society is to demean a person and ignore their humanity. Like the words 'f****t' and 'n' it's used to make a person feel different and not a part of society, if you think that's okay then there is something wrong with you.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2014, 05:01:37 AM »

^ lol really
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2014, 05:27:12 AM »

I hope you guys realize that mental retardation and autism are two completely different things.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2014, 10:04:34 AM »

Just because you and your family are okay with calling each other retards, doesn't make it okay. It's a revolting word and it's use in society is to demean a person and ignore their humanity. Like the words 'f****t' and 'n' it's used to make a person feel different and not a part of society, if you think that's okay then there is something wrong with you.

Hasn't it been proven that your a 30 year old masquerading as a 17 year old?

I hope you guys realize that mental retardation and autism are two completely different things.
It's been used in a derogatory way towards autistic people in the same way Sikhs are the victims of anti Muslim bigotry. The context doesn't matter, it's a horrible thing to call somebody who is handicapped. Though I see nothing wrong with the use of the word in the context that Martinez did.
daveosupremo
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.32, S: -2.09

« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2014, 01:19:42 PM »

It's been used in a derogatory way towards autistic people in the same way Sikhs are the victims of anti Muslim bigotry. The context doesn't matter, it's a horrible thing to call somebody who is handicapped. Though I see nothing wrong with the use of the word in the context that Martinez did.
Martinez didn't use it. Her staffer did.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2014, 07:27:58 PM »

I'm shocked that backroom strategy sessions aren't G-rated.

tbh none of this stuff ever surprises me, she's just like Christie, he's just open about it, remember the Blago recordings about the senate seat as well and things like that, yes Martinez is awful and ignorant but she's not any more awful and ignorant than most GOP govs.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2014, 08:18:37 PM »

I'm shocked that backroom strategy sessions aren't G-rated.
I'd think that's the case for 90% of politicans, Democrat or Republican.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2014, 09:49:27 AM »

There's nothing in the article that substantiates the claim that she's weak on the issues. That appears merely to be hackish "journalism".
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2014, 12:12:33 PM »

This post really confused me, because I rarely post in the 2016 board. I'm pretty sure the Congressional and Gubernatorial boards are where I post most frequently. So the idea that I'm so afraid of Oakvale or whoever is pretty dumb.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2014, 12:17:59 PM »

Really, guys? We're not allowed say "that's retarded" any more?

Regardless of whether this is oversensitivity going too far or not, this has been the case for over a decade. I'm astonished if you honestly didn't know that.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2014, 11:07:42 PM »

lol.

Never change, Atlas Forum. Purple heart
Lupo
Rookie

« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2014, 09:04:45 PM »

I heard about this Mother Jones "hit piece" a few days ago, but this is the first opportunity I've had to read it.  It's surprisingly toothless.  The author questions whether Martinez can overcome her shortfalls, but he doesn't really address many short falls.  The only issue I can see is the possible bid-rigging of Albuquerque Downs.  The whole article should've focused on that. 

Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies