How can I get cash?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:52:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How can I get cash?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How can I get cash?  (Read 3224 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 16, 2014, 05:44:38 PM »

I have almost no cash on hand. My debit card was cancelled because of a blocked unauthorized transaction so for now I can't use an ATM. And I can't pay with a credit card at most merch tables at shows and I'm going to one before I'll get a new card.

Advice?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 05:45:09 PM »

...go to the bank?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 05:48:54 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Cowboy
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 05:49:18 PM »

1. Get outside.
2. Go to the bank.
3. Huh
4. PROFIT
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 05:49:24 PM »

They need a new Kirby vacuum salesman.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 05:50:33 PM »

Bushies parents?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 05:50:40 PM »

My bank is a mostly North Dakota one. It has only one branch in the state which is out in Golden Valley.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 05:51:30 PM »

My bank is a mostly North Dakota one. It has only one branch in the state which is out in Golden Valley.

You clearly need to switch banks.

Or just borrow some cash off a friend or something. How much can you possibly need for "merch"?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 05:51:53 PM »

I just thought if getting cash from a friend and then paying them back immediately with PayPal.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 05:54:17 PM »

I just thought if getting cash from a friend and then paying them back immediately with PayPal.

Yeah, or you could write them a check.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 05:54:58 PM »

Or just borrow some cash off a friend or something. How much can you possibly need for "merch"?

Convenience. My mom works at the bank so if I ever have problems (like this fraud) I just text hwr and let her take care of it. I rarely so anything aside maybe sign sone papers I get mailed.

As for merch prices LPs and shirts are usually like $15.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 06:02:58 PM »

Convenience. My mom works at the bank so if I ever have problems (like this fraud) I just text hwr and let her take care of it. I rarely so anything aside maybe sign sone papers I get mailed.

Clearly it's not that convenient, because you're now posting on an Internet forum about how to get cash.  Why not open up more than one bank account?  Also, why can't you take care of your own bank account?  I've had someone attempt to use my card before, and I was able to cancel it on my own and get a new one.  Why is this something you have to have your mom do for you?
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 06:05:16 PM »

They need a new Kirby vacuum salesman.

Nice call back. Smiley
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 06:29:59 PM »

Robbery.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 06:38:00 PM »

1. Sell some of your worthless sh*t.
2. Stop going to all those worthless shows.
3. Invest in a gun and rob some banks.
4. Use all of your technology skills to learn how to hack into banks and steal massive amounts of money.
5. Wait, don't you have a job?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 06:39:17 PM »

Clearly it's not that convenient, because you're now posting on an Internet forum about how to get cash.  Why not open up more than one bank account?  Also, why can't you take care of your own bank account?  I've had someone attempt to use my card before, and I was able to cancel it on my own and get a new one.  Why is this something you have to have your mom do for you?

I should probably elaborate, my bank used to have two locations in the metro, one in Golden Valley and the other in downtown Minneapolis. However they didn't need two because almost no one uses them except for North Dakota transplants (more like western North Dakota transplants actually, they don't even have a branch in Fargo. The branch they have here is actually kind of like the places that specialize in money wiring to Somalia, there'd be no point if it wasn't for a certain demographic), so they closed the Golden Valley one and dealt only in downtown. Which I was fine with. But then the downtown one got screwed on their lease and their rent was going to almost triple, so they closed that and moved back to Golden Valley. And before someone says Golden Valley isn't that far away please keep in mind I work in the southeast metro, so it's far away enough to be inconvenient enough to only do it if I had a huge check or something.

And my mom has made my banking issues easier ever since I opened the account in high school. She also helped me get my car loan. I could open another account, and have thought of it, but it's never been a major enough issue for me to get around to it.

This is almost certainly because of Target by the way, so if you shopped there around Thanksgiving last year you might want to make plans to get your card replaced as conveniently as possible.

1. Sell some of your worthless sh*t.
2. Stop going to all those worthless shows.
3. Invest in a gun and rob some banks.
4. Use all of your technology skills to learn how to hack into banks and steal massive amounts of money.
5. Wait, don't you have a job?

Yes I have a job and plenty of money in my bank account. The problem is withdrawing it for now.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 06:40:14 PM »

Might be time to switch banks...

Also, what do you do when you have to go to the ATM?  Don't you have to pay atm fees if it isn't your bank?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 06:43:47 PM »

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 06:44:43 PM »

Might be time to switch banks...

Also, what do you do when you have to go to the ATM?  Don't you have to pay atm fees if it isn't your bank?

I explained the situation above. My bank previously had a more accessible downtown location. Even Golden Valley isn't that far away, it's a first ring suburb, it's just that I work in a first ring suburb in the opposite direction.

As for ATM fees, there was previously a deal with US Bank that allowed withdrawals with no fees, but that endedwhen I was in college. Once it did though the bank issued a new policy where they'll refund up to $10 a month in ATM fees. In addition Minnesota and western Wisconsin are home to a wonderful gas station chain called Kwik Trip that offers no fee ATMs. Or I just get cashback the next time I shop at Target or a grocery store.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 07:18:49 PM »

Believe me, having family working in the bank where you have an account is very useful.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 09:44:23 PM »

the obvious answer that nobody has said yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 09:55:28 PM »

Crime.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2014, 11:11:13 PM »

Happened to me too about a year ago when I stupidely put the magnetic leather case of my smartphone in the same pocket where my wallet was in.

I went to the ATM to get some money but the card was dead. Then I went to my bank and told them and they sent me a new card via post 2 days later.

Because I always have something like a 100 € reserve at home it didn't bother me much.

But with your bank location problem BRTD, it would probably best to do 3 things quickly soon:

1. Ask someone to borrow you the money
2. Call your mum at the bank to send you a new card by post so you don't have to drive around the entire state
3. It would probably be more convinient to switch banks to one nearby
4. Make sure your card is not blocked anymore in the future

Or, if you have one - use your additional credit card instead of your debit card at the ATM ...
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 12:06:35 AM »

Believe me, having family working in the bank where you have an account is very useful.

I realize that, but not useful enough to justify having only one bank account that's in a different state from one's current residence.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 04:23:09 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2014, 04:31:26 PM by a combination of tumblr leftism and moshing »

Clearly it's not that convenient, because you're now posting on an Internet forum about how to get cash.  Why not open up more than one bank account?  Also, why can't you take care of your own bank account?  I've had someone attempt to use my card before, and I was able to cancel it on my own and get a new one.  Why is this something you have to have your mom do for you?

I realize that, but not useful enough to justify having only one bank account that's in a different state from one's current residence.

The branch office here is in Golden Valley. It's less than 15 minutes from my apartment, not like it's Duluth or Bemidji or something. I have no problem driving there for actual banking things, like when I got my car loan (though that was at the downtown office when it was still open.) or cashing insurance checks. It just seems a bit inconvenient to drive there right after work from the other corner of the metro to take out $40.

Happened to me too about a year ago when I stupidely put the magnetic leather case of my smartphone in the same pocket where my wallet was in.

I went to the ATM to get some money but the card was dead. Then I went to my bank and told them and they sent me a new card via post 2 days later.

Because I always have something like a 100 € reserve at home it didn't bother me much.

But with your bank location problem BRTD, it would probably best to do 3 things quickly soon:

1. Ask someone to borrow you the money
2. Call your mum at the bank to send you a new card by post so you don't have to drive around the entire state
3. It would probably be more convinient to switch banks to one nearby
4. Make sure your card is not blocked anymore in the future

Or, if you have one - use your additional credit card instead of your debit card at the ATM ...

1. Is going to happen.
2. Already done. Although as noted the bank is in a first ring suburb, not around the entire state.
3. Might open a different account at somewhere local. Have considered it for awhile but never considered it a big deal.
4. This was probably because of the Target breach. Honestly I should've cancelled it earlier.

As for using my credit card to get cash at the ATM, I can do that, but the fees and interest are big and even worse than the standard credit card interest.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies