do you support right to work laws
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:05:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  do you support right to work laws
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: .
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 88

Author Topic: do you support right to work laws  (Read 3579 times)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2014, 10:22:32 AM »

This wouldn't be an issue if the government had explicit guarantees that protect workers (such as healthcare and vacation and sick pay). As it is, unions are absolutely necessary and I'm vehemently opposed to these types of laws.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2014, 12:11:41 PM »

Not in principle, as I believe that employers should be able to have full discretion over their hiring decisions. However, right-to-work may be a necessary evil until/unless the Wagner Act is repealed.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2014, 04:37:59 PM »

Hell no! While everyone should want to join a union in the first place because who doesn't want higher pay and better benefits, and those that refuse to join the union still get the benefits of the union. I think that if you opt out, you should make minimum wage and get no benefits and no time off, while the union members earn $22.50 an hour, full-time, good health benefits, and paid vacation.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2014, 04:54:01 PM »

Hell no! While everyone should want to join a union in the first place because who doesn't want higher pay and better benefits, and those that refuse to join the union still get the benefits of the union. I think that if you opt out, you should make minimum wage and get no benefits and no time off, while the union members earn $22.50 an hour, full-time, good health benefits, and paid vacation.

In the global era, the only thing you get with collective bargaining is outsourcing. The world has changed. Dem labor has not evolved particularly well.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2014, 05:07:51 PM »

The benefits union workers receive depends on union-management negotiations. If labor unions want to negotiate for high wages and extensive benefits, that's their choice. If they want to exclude non-union workers from those goals, that's also their choice. But as long as Federal labor laws grant them special privileges in the bargaining process, State governments should make it so that employers have the choice to hire non-union workers who don't use government privileges to advance their negotiating position, and so that non-union workers aren't pushed out of the workforce as a result of union security contracts negotiated through a Federally manipulated bargaining process.
Meursault
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2014, 05:12:21 PM »

No, and on libertarian grounds: right-to-work laws, along with Taft-Hartley, have lead to greater Federal involvement in the workplace and to more centralization of economic decision-making, not less.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2014, 11:15:09 PM »

Unions are not inherently more virtuous than management, and in the public sector they're  basically run by comic book villains. But they serve a function and, on the whole, almost all of us are better off for it. I don't understand why anyone would support a policy that effectively bans collective bargaining.

how do right to work laws ban collective bargaining?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2014, 01:13:29 AM »

Unions are not inherently more virtuous than management, and in the public sector they're  basically run by comic book villains. But they serve a function and, on the whole, almost all of us are better off for it. I don't understand why anyone would support a policy that effectively bans collective bargaining.

What incentive do I have to join a union if I'm not obligated to do so?

What's stopping me from just declining to join and letting the people who actually pay dues fund the negotiating process that gets me a higher wage and better benefits?
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2014, 01:18:20 AM »

What's stopping me from just declining to join and letting the people who actually pay dues fund the negotiating process that gets me a higher wage and better benefits?
What's stopping unions from just negotiating higher wages and benefits for union workers only?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2014, 03:08:14 AM »
« Edited: April 20, 2014, 03:10:00 AM by Antonio V »

European countries don't force workers into unions, yet their unionization rates are generally much higher than in the US (France being the exception, sadly).

One solution (used in Scandinavia, IIRC) is to tie various labor benefits to union membership.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2014, 03:13:42 AM »

I don't understand the problem to force people to join a union seriously...
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2014, 09:56:12 AM »

Yes.  After all, they don't make it illegal to join a union, just optional.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2014, 11:27:41 AM »

itt: right wing democrats
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2014, 11:59:10 AM »

Yes, though not as standalone policy.
Repub242