do you support right to work laws (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:46:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  do you support right to work laws (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: .
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 88

Author Topic: do you support right to work laws  (Read 3702 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« on: April 18, 2014, 10:55:44 AM »

The whole American system doesn't make any sense to me. I don't understand why workers should be forced to join a union if they don't want to and I don't understand why workers should be prevented from joining a union if they want to. Guess that's an issue where Old Europe is more free-market oriented than 'Murica.

Sums up my views perfectly.

My stance is that employees should have the right to decide if they want to form a union, not the business or the state government.  In my mind, it's pretty totalitarian to suggest that a business should have the authority to decide whether or not the employees can form unions and probably violates several amendments of the US Constitution.  Including the freedom of speech and of association.  When we have a more sane composition on the Supreme Court, there needs to be a ruling on this.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 01:24:01 PM »

The whole American system doesn't make any sense to me. I don't understand why workers should be forced to join a union if they don't want to and I don't understand why workers should be prevented from joining a union if they want to. Guess that's an issue where Old Europe is more free-market oriented than 'Murica.

Sums up my views perfectly.

My stance is that employees should have the right to decide if they want to form a union, not the business or the state government.  In my mind, it's pretty totalitarian to suggest that a business should have the authority to decide whether or not the employees can form unions and probably violates several amendments of the US Constitution.  Including the freedom of speech and of association.  When we have a more sane composition on the Supreme Court, there needs to be a ruling on this.
Are you talking about public sector unions or something? How can a private business violate the Constitution?

I was more addressing state governments giving power to effectively illegalize unions.  Which is what happens when a business decides "no you can't do that" and thus have state decree saying as much.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies