Do you mostly hold the same religious beliefs as your parents?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:02:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Do you mostly hold the same religious beliefs as your parents?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Don't know/sort of/maybe one parent

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 103

Author Topic: Do you mostly hold the same religious beliefs as your parents?  (Read 10518 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 08:26:31 PM »
« edited: April 23, 2014, 08:48:01 PM by TDAS04 »

No for me.

My background is extremely mixed.  My dad is a life-long Hindu (originally from India), while my mom was raised Lutheran here in the Upper Midwest.  She is now very flexible religiously, and her beliefs combine aspects from many traditions.  She likes Unitarianism, and holds some beliefs from the eastern religions.

I was never really raised to belong to a certain tradition, but my personal beliefs fit in most with liberal Protestantism.  The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America seems to be a good fit for me, and I plan to join after getting certain church positions clarified to me by a pastor.

My mom would be fine with that.  While she no longer holds the traditional beliefs, she doesn't have a problem with liberal Christianity, and certainly not with the Lutheran denomination she was raised in.  My maternal grandmother did want me to get baptized, so I was baptized at the Episcopal church in my neighborhood during my young childhood.  I was never confirmed though, and I've hardly ever been to church.  Being Episcopalian would certainly be a possibility if it turns out that the Lutherans are just too conservative to me, but at least some ELCA congregations seem to be what I'm looking for.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2014, 09:10:38 PM »

No for me.

My background is extremely mixed.  My dad is a life-long Hindu (originally from India), while my mom was raised Lutheran here in the Upper Midwest.  She is now very flexible religiously, and her beliefs combine aspects from many traditions.  She likes Unitarianism, and holds some beliefs from the eastern religions.

I was never really raised to belong to a certain tradition, but my personal beliefs fit in most with liberal Protestantism.  The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America seems to be a good fit for me, and I plan to join after getting certain church positions clarified to me by a pastor.

My mom would be fine with that.  While she no longer holds the traditional beliefs, she doesn't have a problem with liberal Christianity, and certainly not with the Lutheran denomination she was raised in.  My maternal grandmother did want me to get baptized, so I was baptized at the Episcopal church in my neighborhood during my young childhood.  I was never confirmed though, and I've hardly ever been to church.  Being Episcopalian would certainly be a possibility if it turns out that the Lutherans are just too conservative to me, but at least some ELCA congregations seem to be what I'm looking for.

I have little experience with the ELCA and ECUSA (though I have been to one of the services of both, the latter having been a joint worship with my UCC), but I don't think I would consider one more inherently conservative than the other.  If I had to choose which was the more liberal of the two, however, I'd pick the ELCA if only because there is still a decent number of conservative Anglicans in the US and all of the conservative Lutherans are in the LCMS now.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2014, 09:32:19 PM »

No for me.

I have little experience with the ELCA and ECUSA (though I have been to one of the services of both, the latter having been a joint worship with my UCC), but I don't think I would consider one more inherently conservative than the other.  If I had to choose which was the more liberal of the two, however, I'd pick the ELCA if only because there is still a decent number of conservative Anglicans in the US and all of the conservative Lutherans are in the LCMS now.

How is the ELCA for liberalism?  I've never heard of them doing anything outlandish, like I hear with the Episcopalians from time to time.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2014, 10:06:20 PM »

No for me.

How is the ELCA for liberalism?  I've never heard of them doing anything outlandish, like I hear with the Episcopalians from time to time.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "outlandish."  The ELCA ordains women, gays and lesbians, has a flexible approach to scripture, supports sex education and has a more middle-line approach to abortion than its counterparts, and its congregants are more progressive as a whole.  It's not the most liberal of the mainline Protestant sects by any means, though it's certainly more progressive than the UMC, which I've noticed is a favorite denomination among liberal Christians.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2014, 11:03:29 PM »

What I think DC means is that while the ELCA has taken the liberal side of pretty much every political argument, they don't have Spong types running around denying the resurrection either. Despite its political liberalism, the ELCA hasn't theologically jumped the shark to the same extent as the more vocally liberal parts of many other mainline Protestant denominations.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2014, 11:09:49 PM »

What I think DC means is that while the ELCA has taken the liberal side of pretty much every political argument, they don't have Spong types running around denying the resurrection either. Despite its political liberalism, the ELCA hasn't theologically jumped the shark to the same extent as the more vocally liberal parts of many other mainline Protestant denominations.

I don't think Spong is a good representative for the vast, vast majority of Episcopalians.  I still think that, as a whole, the ELCA is comparably more liberal than the ECUSA.  If the ELCA and LCMS were one body, however, the opposite would likely be the case.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2014, 11:11:40 PM »

In that none of us are religious, yes.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2014, 12:41:57 AM »

No for me.

Let me know if I can help.  While not a member, two of the churches I regularly attend are ELCA congregations, so I have some familiarity with their doctrine.  Indeed, I suspect that were it not for my Universalist impulses and my indifference on the doctrine of the Trinity, I could have easily ended up joining an ELCA church.  (Or if I had been unable to find a UU church that was comfortable with my Christianity, I might well have done decided to be a regular attendee even if I were not a member.)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2014, 01:44:04 AM »

No, I'm agnostic and edging on atheist. My parents believe in god, but don't particularly have any strong religious views and don't go to church any more.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2014, 03:07:32 AM »

Why is it that you are non-religious yet nevertheless criticize certain denominations on their beliefs and traditions?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2014, 05:21:16 AM »

Why is it that you are non-religious yet nevertheless criticize certain denominations on their beliefs and traditions?

I do the same. Is it a problem?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2014, 05:57:47 AM »

I don't think Spong is a good representative for the vast, vast majority of Episcopalians.  I still think that, as a whole, the ELCA is comparably more liberal than the ECUSA.  If the ELCA and LCMS were one body, however, the opposite would likely be the case.

TJ is correct about what I meant.

As for Spong, I agree that he's not representative of Episcopalians, the fact that he was allowed to continue as Bishop for years after denying the resurrection says a lot about the ECUSA as a denomination.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2014, 07:23:10 AM »

You criticize all denominations.  Snowstalker bashes Protestant denominations on the virtue of them not being Catholic even though he has no beliefs.  It's probably trolling, but I still consider it a nuisance.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2014, 02:59:19 PM »

No for me.

My background is extremely mixed.  My dad is a life-long Hindu (originally from India), while my mom was raised Lutheran here in the Upper Midwest.  She is now very flexible religiously, and her beliefs combine aspects from many traditions.  She likes Unitarianism, and holds some beliefs from the eastern religions.

I was never really raised to belong to a certain tradition, but my personal beliefs fit in most with liberal Protestantism.  The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America seems to be a good fit for me, and I plan to join after getting certain church positions clarified to me by a pastor.

My mom would be fine with that.  While she no longer holds the traditional beliefs, she doesn't have a problem with liberal Christianity, and certainly not with the Lutheran denomination she was raised in.  My maternal grandmother did want me to get baptized, so I was baptized at the Episcopal church in my neighborhood during my young childhood.  I was never confirmed though, and I've hardly ever been to church.  Being Episcopalian would certainly be a possibility if it turns out that the Lutherans are just too conservative to me, but at least some ELCA congregations seem to be what I'm looking for.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "outlandish."  The ELCA ordains women, gays and lesbians, has a flexible approach to scripture, supports sex education and has a more middle-line approach to abortion than its counterparts, and its congregants are more progressive as a whole.  It's not the most liberal of the mainline Protestant sects by any means, though it's certainly more progressive than the UMC, which I've noticed is a favorite denomination among liberal Christians.

Hmm, you may be confusing denominational policy with congregants.  In the North, the UMC is a liberal denomination, sometimes quite stridently so.  Its popularity among liberal Christians stems in part from this and its historic prominence in the social justice movement (see also, John Wesley being a total bamf).  Of course, demographics have buffeted it quite strongly; it was also the only left-of-center denomination with significant Southern representation, so now its Southern wing is much more numerically powerful and thus has shifted the denomination to the right.

I'm now happily attending an Episcopal church, which also has some stark regional divides... but, luckily for me, I'm in one of the most liberal dioceses and am quite happy (though I miss the Methodist focus on service).  Episcopalians have definitely done outlandishly liberal things, like nominate openly gay bishops even after Westminster has chastised them/us, and these sorts of things make me happy Smiley
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2014, 03:49:50 PM »

I'm now happily attending an Episcopal church, which also has some stark regional divides...

Really?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2014, 09:26:44 AM »

I'm now happily attending an Episcopal church, which also has some stark regional divides...

Really?

Precisely Wink
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2014, 11:05:38 AM »

On some of the more traditional beliefs, such as the Trinity, the divinity of Christ, and the Resurrection, I don't have a problem with.  Two major issues that I would like my church to be fairly liberal on are the acceptance of gays (obviously) and at least openness to the possibility of universal salvation.  The latter issue could be a reason for caution regarding traditional Lutheran doctrine, since Martin Luther probably had views on hell and predestination almost as harsh as those of Calvin.  However, while the ELCA doesn't take a firm position, there does not seem to be any discouragement against its members from at least hoping that God's grace is for everyone.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2014, 03:38:06 PM »

My dad was raised in a fairly liberal Lutheran church (ELCA) and my mom was raised Catholic.  She converted to Lutheran, and we have always been proud C&E club members.  Religion is a very, very private thing up here.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2014, 04:25:34 PM »

The latter issue could be a reason for caution regarding traditional Lutheran doctrine, since Martin Luther probably had views on hell and predestination almost as harsh as those of Calvin. 

Indeed. It's a common misconception that Calvin was some sort of outlier for his time.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2014, 06:48:19 PM »

My father is an atheist and I'm agnostic, so I guess so.  My mother on the other hand is a devout christian, so I guess not.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2014, 08:53:23 AM »

You criticize all denominations.  Snowstalker bashes Protestant denominations on the virtue of them not being Catholic even though he has no beliefs.  It's probably trolling, but I still consider it a nuisance.

Being outside of a religious faith is really the only way to have a proper take on it all, no?  I mean, people like me and Snowy might not know specifics, but we can see it for what it is. 
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2014, 09:01:54 AM »

You criticize all denominations.  Snowstalker bashes Protestant denominations on the virtue of them not being Catholic even though he has no beliefs.  It's probably trolling, but I still consider it a nuisance.

Being outside of a religious faith is really the only way to have a proper take on it all, no?  I mean, people like me and Snowy might not know specifics, but we can see it for what it is. 

That has nothing to do with Scott's point, and what you do is not the same thing as what Snowstalker does.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2014, 09:03:22 AM »

That has nothing to do with Scott's point, and what you do is not the same thing as what Snowstalker does.

How so?  Scott is saying that Snowy shouldn't have a take on it, essentially.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2014, 09:06:07 AM »

Here's what he said, and it applies to you as well:

You criticize all denominations.  Snowstalker bashes Protestant denominations on the virtue of them not being Catholic even though he has no beliefs.  It's probably trolling, but I still consider it a nuisance.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2014, 09:12:42 AM »

Here's what he said, and it applies to you as well:

Maybe Snowy just feels Catholicism has some preferable traits.  Maybe I'm trying too hard to defend him, but I feel like he gets piled on a bit too much around here. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies