How do you plan on celebrating Easter this weekend?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:25:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How do you plan on celebrating Easter this weekend?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ...
I don't/Nothing that I wouldn't do any other day

Church

Visiting family/friends

Alone

Special breakfast or dinner

Smoking pot (420 blaze it)

Easter egg hunt

Watching TV specials about Easter

Other tradition (Specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: How do you plan on celebrating Easter this weekend?  (Read 1695 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 17, 2014, 06:44:10 PM »

Right now, it's looking like options 2, 4 and 8 for me.  It'll pretty much be an ordinary Sunday.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 06:47:33 PM »

I'm going to Stillwater tomorrow afternoon for Good Friday services with at my girlfriend's church and then my own church Sunday morning and Sunday evening.  We haven't talked about dinner on Sunday, yet.  So, Options 2 and 3 for me.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 06:48:32 PM »

I'll go to the greek church for hours and hours and then drink wine until 4am on Saturday night/Sunday morning. After Saturday night, I'll finally be able to eat red meat again.

Sunday I have reservations out, and I really hope they serve lamb.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 06:54:01 PM »

Practicing my mah nishtanah.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 07:04:41 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2014, 07:06:12 PM by ChairmanSanchez »

We usually don’t have a big gathering for Easter, but this year it’s huge. My mom’s aunt (my great aunt, of course), her daughter (my mom’s cousin) and her two kids (my second cousins, who are basically to close my brothers and I as my mom is to her cousin), as well as my great uncle and his sister. Also my mom’s brother, his wife, and his two little girls are coming, as well as my dad’s sister, her husband, and her son. Furthermore, my late grandmother’s cousin’s widow, her son, his girlfriend, and his daughter, and my mother’s psychopath friend and her daughter are also coming. Oh yeah, and my grandma of course.

This last paragraph was strangely hard to word.

Anywho, were gonna have dinner and hang about here. My brother is coming home from the group home Saturday night, and he loves family gatherings. He’s gonna be so surprised to see everybody, especially our relatives from Virginia who are down. I’m stoked to see my two baby cousins in particular (I haven’t met the younger one who was born in December).

I’ll try to go to Church, but I know I’m probably gonna sleep in anyway, so it might not happen. Maybe I’ll invite my best friend and his mom and brother over if they don’t have plans, but he has been hard to get into contact with as of late and he might be at his dads.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 07:06:25 PM »

Well I've landed an unpaid four day weekend, so I'll be sitting at home and drinking a lot, I imagine.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 07:07:58 PM »

Nothing much.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 07:17:28 PM »

Where is the option for "working all day and night"? That's what I'll be doing.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 07:20:00 PM »

Fifteen voters so far and only two are smoking pot?  I find that hard to believe.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 07:21:46 PM »

Family supper.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 07:36:54 PM »

My parents informed me that they were spending the 3-day weekend out of town. So no family dinner. And I don't go to church. Maybe Sunday morning I'll have a solo Easter brunch that will consist of me scrambling eggs and drinking Bloody Marys.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 07:45:59 PM »

Well I'm not religious and it's 420 soooo
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 07:50:59 PM »

Other tradition: Having crawfish with my relatives Cheesy
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 08:00:48 PM »

Nothing + weed
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 09:25:15 PM »

I voted Options 2-5 inclusive.  I don't know for sure what I'll be doing, but I think we'll be having a special dinner, and I may want to go to a church service with my aunt and uncle.  They recently joined the LCMS church in my hometown, but they usually go to the contemporary service in the church school's gym.  I always preferred traditional services (although their contemporary service is very well-done), so I may not do that.  My church never has any special holiday services, so I'm usually forced to go to a non-SDA church if I want it.  Either way, I do plan on watching Good Friday and Easter services online and/or on TV.

Other tradition: Having crawfish with my relatives Cheesy
I've never had crawfish (and don't plan on it since I'm not supposed to eat it), but this is a tradition I can like.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 09:31:31 PM »

Sunrise service at the Lutheran church I go to bible study on Wednesdays.  (It actually starts before sunrise in the graveyard and go inside the church right at sunrise.)  Then after breakfast, including the obligatory chocolate bunny  (I don't eat much candy, but I make an exception for chocolate Easter bunnies.), it'll be time to head off to my UU church for their Easter service.  And yes, I do mean Easter service, not the Flower Communion some UU churches substitute for Easter.  I find that distasteful as I feel celebrating Flower Communion as an ersatz Easter is disrespectful to both Christianity and Unitarian Universalism.  (I actually had the opportunity to organize a Flower Communion for my UU church earlier this month, and in the process became convinced that treating it as an ersatz Easter is a major mistake.)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 09:32:35 PM »

Ernest why do you go to two different churches?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 09:39:07 PM »

Enjoying the beginning of 10 days off work (since Good Friday is a public holiday here)... and doing anything 'special' or religious would be a touch hypocritical... yet I still feel the need to eat seafood on Good Friday.
nuclearneo577
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.70

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 09:49:46 PM »

Likely doing stuff related to preparing for the job that I got yesterday. And yard work.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 10:05:40 PM »

Because I am a Christian Universalist without a church which hews to that position nearby, so I go to the UU church to deal with the Universalist aspect of my soul and to Christian churches for things such as bible study that at least at present I am unable to obtain at the UU church I go to. (It's fairly small, so aside from one monthly spirituality forum, they only have the weekly service with no pre-church study groups.  The one in Columbia is larger and closer, but is not to my taste for a number of reasons.)  There were some Universalist churches that did not participate in the merger of the Unitarians and Universalists, but the closest are in North Carolina and I'm smack dab in the middle of the Midlands.

But actually, it's more than two churches.  Where I go for Wednesday bible study is close to home and thus convenient for that, but as I pointed out, my UU church doesn't have a Sunday school and is some distance from me.  There's no way I could go to Sunday school at a church near me and make it to my UU church, yet I do want to go to Sunday school, so I do that at another church about midway between where I live and the UU church.  My normal Sunday routine is to leave home no later than 8:45, Sunday school from 9:30 to 10:15 (they start their Sunday service at 10:30) and then get to my UU church in plenty of time for the 11:00 service.  I get back home around 1:00 most Sundays, 2:00 on the first Sunday of the month when my UU church has a pot luck after the service.

As I think I have mentioned before, my UU church does not hold a service on the fourth Sunday of each month, so I typically use that Sunday to attend the service at one of the Christian churches I regularly visit for Bible study and Sunday school.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 11:08:01 PM »

I'm baking Viennese chocolate cakes laced with pot and decorated with Easter eggs.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 11:13:58 PM »

Because I am a Christian Universalist without a church which hews to that position nearby, so I go to the UU church to deal with the Universalist aspect of my soul and to Christian churches for things such as bible study that at least at present I am unable to obtain at the UU church I go to. (It's fairly small, so aside from one monthly spirituality forum, they only have the weekly service with no pre-church study groups.  The one in Columbia is larger and closer, but is not to my taste for a number of reasons.)  There were some Universalist churches that did not participate in the merger of the Unitarians and Universalists, but the closest are in North Carolina and I'm smack dab in the middle of the Midlands.

But actually, it's more than two churches.  Where I go for Wednesday bible study is close to home and thus convenient for that, but as I pointed out, my UU church doesn't have a Sunday school and is some distance from me.  There's no way I could go to Sunday school at a church near me and make it to my UU church, yet I do want to go to Sunday school, so I do that at another church about midway between where I live and the UU church.  My normal Sunday routine is to leave home no later than 8:45, Sunday school from 9:30 to 10:15 (they start their Sunday service at 10:30) and then get to my UU church in plenty of time for the 11:00 service.  I get back home around 1:00 most Sundays, 2:00 on the first Sunday of the month when my UU church has a pot luck after the service.

As I think I have mentioned before, my UU church does not hold a service on the fourth Sunday of each month, so I typically use that Sunday to attend the service at one of the Christian churches I regularly visit for Bible study and Sunday school.

I've probably said this before... but you're a fascinating creature.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 11:35:36 PM »

Eating a meat roast for Good Friday #thuglife
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2014, 06:32:01 AM »

A mix of 1, 3, 4 and 7.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2014, 06:49:53 AM »

Church (normal), visiting a lot of family/friends, special dinner (note my heritage) and watching Easter TV specials (Passion of the Christ)
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies