NE2: End Regressive Sales Taxation Act (Tabled)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:07:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE2: End Regressive Sales Taxation Act (Tabled)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE2: End Regressive Sales Taxation Act (Tabled)  (Read 604 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 17, 2014, 09:03:20 PM »
« edited: April 18, 2014, 09:39:07 PM by cinyc »

End Regressive Sales Taxation Act
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Rep. SomebodyWhoExists

Debate on this bill will remain open for 72 hours, or until around 10:15PM on Sunday, April 20, unless modified or extended.  The sponsor, Rep. SWE, is encouraged to speak on behalf of the bill within 36 hours.  If he does not, the bill will not be tabled, as there is no other pending legislation in the queue.

The floor is open for debate.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 10:10:06 PM »

Thank you, Mr. Speaker.

I believe that the Northeast should not impose a sales tax. A sales tax is the most regressive form of taxation and impacts our poorest citizens more than anyone else. A citizen with a lower income would lose a larger percentage of their income than a wealthier citizen. For example, say a citizen making $250,000 and $1,000,000 both want to buy a $500 television. The Northeast imposes a 1% sales tax as of our most recent budget, so this would come to $505. The citizen making 250,000 would end up paying a tax of 0.00002% of their income, while the citizen making 1000000 would end up paying a tax of 0.000005% of their income. Someone making less should never end up paying a significantly higher tax than someone making more.  The sales tax is simply regressive and unfair.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 10:12:52 PM »

Would this bill eliminate the regional sales tax, or would it just remove the "sales taxation" line from the default budget structure?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 10:18:58 PM »

How do you propose making up the over $15 billion that the sales tax brings in?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 11:08:00 PM »

I oppose the repeal of the sales tax and will vote against this bill. And why shouldn't someone earning less pay the sameamount as someone earning more for the same exact thing? Obviously that is the whole purpose of earning more. And, for a relatable example, I probably have a much more comfortable financial situation than 99.9% of this forum (or country really) yet my personal income is rather modest as a young adult. The poorer person should look for a $400 television and try to get promoted at their company or whatever, earn a raise and buy a better tv when its more affordable for them.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 07:32:38 AM »

Would this bill eliminate the regional sales tax, or would it just remove the "sales taxation" line from the default budget structure?

Deus is correct, it would just remove it from the budget structure. It would still exist.

and I'll be voting against this bill for the same reason as Napoleon.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 02:14:42 PM »

I agree with the sentiment.

However, as cinyc noted, we received ~$15 billion in revenue from the sales tax for this fiscal trimester. As I recall (need to do some investigation) we only had a surplus of $11 or $12 billion in sirnick's last budget, which hypothetically would put us at a deficit.

The sales tax is only 1%, which isn't excessive. Similarly, in my budget we repealed the income tax outright for families in the $20k-$49k bracket, which should provide some relief for working families.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 02:40:52 PM »

After some thought, I've decided to oppose this. I guess I'm sort of a hypocrite here because I just introduced a bill to get rid of the energy spending section from the Budget Improvement Act, but when it comes to taxes I don't think any form of taxation should be favored over another in terms of the default budget structure. I will gladly work to eliminate the sales tax during the next round of budget negotiations, but for now I see no reason to take it out of the budget structure when it will have no effect on the regional tax code.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 04:11:27 PM »

Also, the Northeast by constitutional mandate cannot run a deficit I believe.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 04:56:43 PM »

Indeed, which makes such a prospect more precarious.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 05:43:27 PM »

I looked into it, and yes, the Northeast Constitution requires we run a balanced budget. In that case, passing this would simply be irresponsible. Motion to table.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 09:38:48 PM »

This bill has been tabled at the request of the sponsor.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies