My favorite Alabama referendum
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:17:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  My favorite Alabama referendum
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: My favorite Alabama referendum  (Read 1304 times)
old timey villain
cope1989

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 18, 2014, 12:40:35 AM »

This is the statewide vote over an amendment that would have struck out the section of Alabama's constitution that outlawed interracial marriage. Counties in favor are in green. Counties against are in red. 40% of people voted against the amendment- in 2000.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 01:20:16 AM »

kinda looks like Smaug.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 01:45:56 AM »

This is the statewide vote over an amendment that would have struck out the section of Alabama's constitution that outlawed interracial marriage. Counties in favor are in green. Counties against are in red. 40% of people voted against the amendment- in 2000.
Interesting that a few blackbelt states were against it
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 06:35:42 AM »

Bigoted trolling.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 07:37:36 AM »

You mean the people who voted against the referendum or the op?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 08:14:09 AM »

Interesting that a few blackbelt states were against it
I assume you mean counties?

Anyway, none of the black belt appears to have voted against it.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 11:43:53 AM »

Well some Black Belt counties are colored in 50%, but all are green.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 11:49:19 AM »

If 40% voted against, then a majority of Republicans surely voted against. But everyone tells there are no racists in the Republican Party!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 12:24:24 PM »

If 40% voted against, then a majority of Republicans surely voted against. But everyone tells there are no racists in the Republican Party!

You are the one who has been saying there are no racists in a political party.  And so long as we are basing this on 2000, the results in Jackson County alone should be enough to show that claim's absurdity.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 12:29:35 PM »

Well some Black Belt counties are colored in 50%, but all are green.

Yeah, but there are still white people in the black belt counties, sometimes close to a majority. I've looked at this referendum pretty extensively and the level of support for the amendment by county is pretty closely correlated to the percentage of black people.

The only big exceptions are Shelby County, just outside of B'ham which is normally extremely Republican but is also suburban and not quite as southern as the rest of the state. And then there's Huntsville, home to a large space and defense industry.

And to be fair, Gore actually did fairly well in some of the darkest red counties in the NW area of the state.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 01:02:19 PM »

Only whites can be racist, amirite? You know, people like me who are left leaning but independent are really turned off by the constant and trite faux outrage over "racism" in this nation. People like you throw that word around like a monkey flinging poo. It's juvenile, unsubstantiated, and has no place in American politics.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 01:18:03 PM »

I noticed two factors leading towards voting for this amendment. One is the % of black people, two is how urban or suburban a county is. I thought the whites in northern Alabama were less racist than the ones in southern Alabama, guess I was wrong. In fact the lily white rural counties in northwestern Alabama are the ones that went the most against this referendum. Even Jackson county, a mountain county that voted for Clinton, went against this. Sad...
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 02:05:37 PM »

Only whites can be racist, amirite? You know, people like me who are left leaning but independent are really turned off by the constant and trite faux outrage over "racism" in this nation. People like you throw that word around like a monkey flinging poo. It's juvenile, unsubstantiated, and has no place in American politics.

Yes, you're so right. People who vote to reaffirm an interracial marriage ban are in no way racist.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 02:54:58 PM »

Nice strawman. It was you who claimed that this result showed the republican party was racist. I can assure you that many democrats probably voted against that referendum.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 03:44:53 PM »

No one is saying that the Republican Party is free of racists.  Some Republicans are racist, but not a majority.  Some Democrats are racist too (even some who voted for Obama).  Some African-Americans would have voted against the amendment as well, though in much smaller numbers.

Another thing to remember is that old people are more likely to vote than younger people, skewing the results.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 12:48:28 AM »

Alabama's still burning
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2014, 09:01:09 PM »

Nice strawman. It was you who claimed that this result showed the republican party was racist. I can assure you that many democrats probably voted against that referendum.

Are you referring to registered Democrats, or people who actually vote Democrat? Because many "registered Democrats" vote Republican nearly 100% of the time. Just look at Oklahoma for proof of that.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 09:12:37 PM »

Are you referring to registered Democrats, or people who actually vote Democrat? Because many "registered Democrats" vote Republican nearly 100% of the time. Just look at Oklahoma for proof of that.

That's only a fairly recent development. I believe the AL state leg. was D-controlled until 2010, and a lot of that Democratic strength came from Conservatives in the rural, very white Northern part of the state. Probably about 25%~30% of Democrats voted against interracial marriage.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 09:18:47 PM »

That's only a fairly recent development. I believe the AL state leg. was D-controlled until 2010, and a lot of that Democratic strength came from Conservatives in the rural, very white Northern part of the state. Probably about 25%~30% of Democrats voted against interracial marriage.

So racists are slowly but surely migrating over to the Republican Party, continuing a trend that has been taking place since the 60s. Sounds like that proves my point.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2014, 02:13:01 PM »

The nation as a whole didn't have majority support for interracial marriage tell the late 90s, so AL wasn't all that far behind everyone else.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/149390/record-high-approve-black-white-marriages.aspx
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2014, 02:35:25 PM »

The nation as a whole didn't have majority support for interracial marriage tell the late 90s, so AL wasn't all that far behind everyone else.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/149390/record-high-approve-black-white-marriages.aspx

That's a bit deceptive due to the large African American population in Alabama, which would obviously nearly unanimously back interracial marriage. In 2000, AL was 71% white, 26% black, 3% other. Meaning that in all likelihood, a majority of whites in Alabama voted to uphold the interracial marriage ban. Meanwhile, if you put the vote up in a nearly 100% white state such as Vermont or Maine, it would've passed with much more than 60%.

There's also the question of the veracity of that data to begin with. I highly doubt only 4% of people approved of interracial marriage in 1960.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2014, 07:39:48 PM »

That's a bit deceptive due to the large African American population in Alabama, which would obviously nearly unanimously back interracial marriage. In 2000, AL was 71% white, 26% black, 3% other. Meaning that in all likelihood, a majority of whites in Alabama voted to uphold the interracial marriage ban. Meanwhile, if you put the vote up in a nearly 100% white state such as Vermont or Maine, it would've passed with much more than 60%.

There's also the question of the veracity of that data to begin with. I highly doubt only 4% of people approved of interracial marriage in 1960.

So you're going to compare a racially polarized state with a fraught racial history (Alabama) to two very homogenous states that are far more liberal than the country as a whole and have/had fewer racial issues than the country as a whole (Maine, Vermont)?

Why do you highly doubt only 4 percent of people approved of interracial marriage in 1960? Were you alive in 1960?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2014, 08:12:38 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2014, 08:17:04 PM by IceSpear »

So you're going to compare a racially polarized state with a fraught racial history (Alabama) to two very homogenous states that are far more liberal than the country as a whole and have/had fewer racial issues than the country as a whole (Maine, Vermont)?

Why do you highly doubt only 4 percent of people approved of interracial marriage in 1960? Were you alive in 1960?

If only 4 percent approved of it in 1960, it wouldn't have been legal in so many states. To suggest it was such a fringe idea that even a majority of African Americans were against it is simply ludicrous.

In fact, the 4% figure is based on a SINGLE Gallup poll. I can't find any other polls to corroborate it. If Gallup was our only data point for the 2012 election, we'd have been waiting for the Romney landslide.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2014, 08:58:04 PM »

If only 4 percent approved of it in 1960, it wouldn't have been legal in so many states. To suggest it was such a fringe idea that even a majority of African Americans were against it is simply ludicrous.

In fact, the 4% figure is based on a SINGLE Gallup poll. I can't find any other polls to corroborate it. If Gallup was our only data point for the 2012 election, we'd have been waiting for the Romney landslide.

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2014, 12:24:30 AM »

Demonstrate how racism not from white people is relevant.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies