Cold turkey
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:32:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Cold turkey
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cold turkey  (Read 1485 times)
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 18, 2014, 06:28:17 AM »

This is my third attempt to quit smoking. I very much plan on it being my final attempt. So far I've gone 21 hours.

For those of you who don't know, peak withdrawal symptoms typically appear during the third day. Nicotine takes up to 72 hours to completely be eliminated from your system.

Thusfar, I'm not terribly impressed. Sure, I've been agitated and I've wanted a cigarette, but I'm keeping myself in check. The hardest part so far has been keeping myself occupied.

Anyone have any experience with this personally or through family or friends? Advice on stuff to do until peak withdrawal has passed is appreciated. Even ridiculous things. I will do them. Maybe.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 07:05:12 AM »

Been there done that, then undone that. Sad  Hang tough, good Tik.  Just sweat it out like the local addict in a rehab. 

It's not a bad idea to change other habits.  If you're used to sitting and smoking with your morning java, don't sit and drink coffee.......grab a cup on the way out or something.  Same with meals.  Do something after you eat where you can't smoke if you wanted to.

But the deal killer is truly one thing - alcohol.  I could never drink during the smoking down times.  One drink and pow.....light one up.

Good luck!
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 07:13:59 AM »

Thanks Gramps Smiley I know about the perils of alcohol when it comes to quitting - most of my serious setbacks happened after drinking.

..But, uh, nevertheless I've had a few glasses of wine tonight. My partner quit as well so there are literally no cigarettes around to smoke anyway so I feel safe enough. And tired.

As for changing my routine, I'm getting there. One important step I'd read of was to confront your triggers head-on in an effort to defuse their association with nicotine. I'm trying to do what I normally would sans nicotine.. more or less. In a short time the links are severed.

But that's long term. For now, sweat it out I shall Smiley
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 07:22:03 AM »

Good luck, Tik Smiley
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 12:06:10 PM »

Good luck, Tik.  Both of my parents quit smoking when I was a young kid, so it can be done.  (Though it's not exactly easy, many of their friends tried and failed to quit.)

One thing my dad apparently did when quitting was start chewing lots of gum (just regular old Doublemint), which seemed to help.  Perhaps you could have some on hand.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 02:12:02 PM »

Has anybody tried eCigs?

I'm not a smoker but curious about them.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 02:27:38 PM »

Has anybody tried eCigs?

When they first came out and no one knew about them it was fun to troll restaurants and businesses by using them indoors. Otherwise, useless IMO.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 03:43:48 PM »

Has anybody tried eCigs?

When they first came out and no one knew about them it was fun to troll restaurants and businesses by using them indoors. Otherwise, useless IMO.

I managed to ditch cigarettes for about six months by using them, but ultimately fell off the bandwagon. There was no real excuse for why I did that. Sad
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 06:18:00 PM »

Has anybody tried eCigs?

I do.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 08:19:55 AM »

Has anybody tried eCigs?

I managed to ditch cigarettes for about six months by using them, but ultimately fell off the bandwagon. There was no real excuse for why I did that. Sad

I did the same. Electronic cigarettes inspired my first longer term quit attempt. I was so excited when I bought my first kit that I smoked the remainder of my "analog" cigarettes just so I could move on to electronic cigarettes.

At first, the uncomfortable wave of lacking a "real" cigarette was easily bypassed by using the electronic one. I was confident and happy, although I cannot deny it was a psychological adjustment.

And then the Victorian government cracked down on e-cigs. Before smoke shops and small market stalls were selling genuine nicotine-containing cartridges that had enough nicotine that I was able to survive cheaply using e-cigs and completely avoid cigarettes. After they cracked down I had a lot of anxiety finding cartridges that had nicotine. Sometimes they would be marked as containing the drug but then, the more I had to search, the taste and performance of the cheap plastic cartridges would disappoint in every possible way. All that the government cracking down on them did was put me in a desperate state I wasn't prepared for that normal cigarettes were the only way out of. I could have quit normally, yes - but I should not have had to at that point. I was already healthier. I could have done it in time. The failure is all mine but the motivation and opportunity for that failure could have been avoided easily.

The lack of a reliable alternative in e-cigs led me to try smoking normally again. From there it was a gentle but predictable slide into the habits that made me try e-cigs in the first place.

The last time I went stateside I bought some newer packages that didn't exist here and I was very much impressed by them. But, well, since I had already failed and gone back to normal cigarettes, they never quite cut the mustard. And it wasn't until now that I tried nothing at all.

Anyway, if you're an American and have the means, e-cigs are fun and interesting and not as dangerous as normal cigarettes.. Just don't ever go from electronic cigs to anything else. Real tobacco is a pain in the ass.

As for my quit attempt: I've nearly completed two days. Day two has been easier than day one even though the frequency of intense cravings is supposedly higher. If I can power through tomorrow then the supposed worst is over and gradually normalcy will occur. The smells I've been missing out on have completely blindsided me. I remember my sense of smell being much stronger after my last quit attempt but this time, for whatever reason, the intricate odours that I was missing in everyday air before have completely floored me. Clean air is amazing.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 08:41:56 AM »

This is my third attempt to quit smoking. I very much plan on it being my final attempt. So far I've gone 21 hours.

For those of you who don't know, peak withdrawal symptoms typically appear during the third day. Nicotine takes up to 72 hours to completely be eliminated from your system.

Thusfar, I'm not terribly impressed. Sure, I've been agitated and I've wanted a cigarette, but I'm keeping myself in check. The hardest part so far has been keeping myself occupied.

Anyone have any experience with this personally or through family or friends? Advice on stuff to do until peak withdrawal has passed is appreciated. Even ridiculous things. I will do them. Maybe.

Just keep on going at it bud. Don't go for any of those electronic smokes or anything. I quit cold turkey over 3 years ago. Haven't had a single drag since, and it feels great. I chewed gum to get rid of the cravings.. or the stupidest one is to put a pretzel rod in your mouth. I would pretend to smoke one for about a minute, and I would lose my cravin.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 08:47:37 AM »

quitter
Meursault
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 05:02:59 PM »

Has anybody tried eCigs?

I've almost completely eliminated smoking actual cigarettes with them, with the exception of an occasional clove cigarette. I think they're useful in getting rid of the psychological aspect of cigarette addiction, but they don't do anything for the physiological need for nicotine.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 05:31:54 AM »

ONE YEAR, BITCHES

If I can do it, so can you. Smiley

(sorry about the necromancy, I wanted to attention whore)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 05:58:49 AM »

ONE YEAR, BITCHES

Congrats, Tik.  (And Phil)
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2015, 09:20:14 AM »

ONE YEAR, BITCHES

Congrats, Tik.  (And Phil)

W3RD!!!!! Good job bruh!
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2015, 11:45:14 AM »

ONE YEAR, BITCHES

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2015, 03:57:35 PM »

FP (freedom poultry)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length