Austrian teen girls secretly fly to Syria to fight in Civil War, parents shocked
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:31:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Austrian teen girls secretly fly to Syria to fight in Civil War, parents shocked
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Austrian teen girls secretly fly to Syria to fight in Civil War, parents shocked  (Read 7443 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 18, 2014, 09:49:22 AM »

The poster girls for jihad: Interpol searches for two Austrian teens 'who went to Syria to fight for Islamic rebels'.

Samra* Kesinovic, 16, and Sabina* Selimovic, 15, vanished on April 10
    Social media posts then began, showing girls in Islamic dress
    Interpol believes they have been tricked into going to Syria
    Shocking photographs shown one of the girls with AK-47-wielding men

Samra and Sabina come from Bosnian refugee families who settled in Austria after the ethnic wars of the 1990s, and were born in the country.

New photos on their Facebook pages show them brandishing Kalashnikov rifles - and in some cases surrounded by armed men.

In the latest posting they announced plans to marry so that they could become 'holy warriors' and in the messages they say: 'Death is our goal'.

However, their families doubt that the messages were written by them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2607735/The-poster-girls-jihad-Interpol-searches-two-Austrian-teens-Syria-fighting-Islamic-rebels.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

* not their real names
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 10:02:40 AM »

It looks like their parents led a liberal lifestyle (like most of the Bosnian-Muslim immigrants from the early 90s), but the girls went to some radical preacher in a mosque who radicalized them (or: they became radicals over the Internet and the mosque-people only arranged their flight to Turkey and transport to Syria ...)

Anyway, terrible form of brainwashing.

Sad
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 11:07:23 AM »

Well that's stupid. No sympathy for them.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 11:12:59 AM »

It looks like their parents led a liberal lifestyle (like most of the Bosnian-Muslim immigrants from the early 90s), but the girls went to some radical preacher in a mosque who radicalized them (or: they became radicals over the Internet and the mosque-people only arranged their flight to Turkey and transport to Syria ...)

Sad

'Brainwashing'? It looks like they did it willingly.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 08:21:02 AM »

Sad

'Brainwashing'? It looks like they did it willingly.

That's not entirely sure yet: It became known that they could have become radicalized when they went to Bosnia a few times to visit their relatives there and went to a local fundamentalist mosque (which has also a branch in Vienna).

They either did this voluntarlily (but, what's more likely) - 14-year old girls are easy targets for these sorts of fundamentalists. They just need to put them under pressure or make threats.

If they did it voluntarily, it's still "brainwashing" - because they believe the silly motives of radical Islam and think that they might have any influence in this deadly war.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 09:32:35 AM »

From the "Spiegel":

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/dschihad-in-syrien-interpol-sucht-zwei-maedchen-aus-oesterreich-a-965254.html

http://www.interpol.int/notice/search/missing/2014-22373

http://www.interpol.int/notice/search/missing/2014-22367

"The girls, media reports, have visited the Altun-Alem mosque in Vienna, before they vanished. The hate preacher Ebu Tejma is currently there. He is known as one of the most radical salafists in Europe."

A quick research on Youtube reveals that Ebu Tejma also praised Osama Bin Laden as a man "who did a great job in building up the Islamist terror cells all over the planet".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC2an05l-Yo
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 01:13:17 PM »

If they did it voluntarily, it's still "brainwashing" - because they believe the silly motives of radical Islam and think that they might have any influence in this deadly war.

People tilt at windmills for all sorts of reasons. To say that voluntarily taking extreme and quixotic actions in the service of extreme and quixotic beliefs is itself brainwashing simply because of the extremity and quixotic nature of the actions and beliefs strikes me as lazy, and something of an insult to people who actually have been brainwashed. It doesn't help give us any understanding of how these things happen or how these people think.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 01:28:04 PM »

People tilt at windmills for all sorts of reasons. To say that voluntarily taking extreme and quixotic actions in the service of extreme and quixotic beliefs is itself brainwashing simply because of the extremity and quixotic nature of the actions and beliefs strikes me as lazy, and something of an insult to people who actually have been brainwashed. It doesn't help give us any understanding of how these things happen or how these people think.

Yes I agree, brainwashing demand much more than this. These girls choose to become extremists, yes they may be young and stupid, but so are most of the people when they start embracing extreme ideologies.

So while I feel sorry for the parents, whatever happens to these girls, they have brought it on themselves, and I feel no more sorry for them, than for any other person, who tries to spread pain and suffering to the innocent.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 02:05:51 PM »

Difficult to tell from one picture, but the one on the right doesn't look too hard on the eyes.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 02:29:55 PM »

Difficult to tell from one picture, but the one on the right doesn't look too hard on the eyes.

Thanks for your contribution.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 12:33:10 PM »

Looks like they are not coming back anymore ...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/511142/One-of-two-Austrian-girls-fled-Syria-fight-IS-killed
swl
France

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 01:53:01 PM »

RIP. They went quite far within their teenage stupidity, it must be devastating for their families. :/
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 02:05:57 PM »

RIP. A sad testament to adolescent stupidity. I'm not going to say what I think it says about raising children to believe faith is a virtue, or that clerics should be trusted at all; I don't want to be considered a fedora-style atheist.

I also don't really understand why the media is pushing these stories as if being a mercenary is a crazy novel activity that nobody did until ISIS came along.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 03:42:17 PM »

She lived by the sword, she died by the sword. While I'm of coursethink it's sad for the girl's parents, I feel more sad for all the parents in Syria, whose children didn't decide to support a bunch of psychopaths, who have seen their children been killed or otherwise abused. She's dead, there are little more to say to that, except I hope all the other ISIS volunteers in Syria and Iraq join her.
njwes
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 08:25:13 PM »

RIP. A sad testament to adolescent stupidity. I'm not going to say what I think it says about raising children to believe faith is a virtue, or that clerics should be trusted at all; I don't want to be considered a fedora-style atheist.

Well it certainly says something about raising children to believe in a ~certain~ faith as a virtue...

I'm glad you're avoiding the usual fedora/"euphoric"/neckbeard style of many interweb atheists Wink

I feel terribly for their parents, but as for them.... play stupid games win stupid prizes. Frankly I hope ISIS drains Europe of its Islamic militants so they can be obliterated with the rest of that that group.

The teenage rebellion aspect is interesting in this case. I have the feeling that if this were the 70s, they would have been Maoists or the like
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2014, 07:42:19 AM »

Good news, everyone! She's not dead but pregnant.

Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2014, 08:54:00 PM »

She's a pretty young white girl in Syria, what did anyone think was gonna happen?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 10:52:56 AM »

Why do girls and women go for movements like these? Is roughly 40% of the population Masochistic?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 11:25:40 AM »

Pretty sure ISIS is mostly male.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2014, 01:51:12 PM »

Why do girls and women go for movements like these? Is roughly 40% of the population Masochistic?

Same reason any intelligent person would go and fight as a mercenary; a sense of boredom and angst - and being entranced by whatever fanciful garbage propagandists use against vulnerable youth. Everyone wants to be a heroine for their silly cause Sad
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2014, 07:41:12 AM »

FBI probing if 3 American teens detained in Germany attempted to join ISIS

The FBI says it is investigating the possibility that three American teenage girls were attempting to join the Islamic State in Syria when they were detained in Germany.

A law enforcement source told Fox News Tuesday that the girls are home in Colorado after they were tracked down in Frankfurt. The three girls are all under the age of 18 and are not expected to face charges. Two of the girls are of Somali descent and one is of Sudanese descent, according to the source.

VOA News reported Sunday that the girls had vanished from their homes last week and traveled from Colorado to Chicago, and then Frankfurt. The girls’ family members reported them missing to authorities in Denver, who then worked with authorities in Germany to track them down.

According to VOA News, one of the girls told German authorities they were planning to go to Turkey “to study."

Yeah, exactly. To "study" ... Roll Eyes

More like "to get raped, get pregnant, enslaved and abused".
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 08:16:32 AM »

Well I mean Lana and Pam are both field agents.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 10:05:38 AM »

Don't  these girls understand they're going to be treated like dirt, raped, probably killed later?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 10:15:47 AM »

Fundamentalists Muslims usually aren't big on rape, unless it's spousal rape.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2014, 10:32:21 AM »

Fundamentalists Muslims usually aren't big on rape, unless it's spousal rape.

Well Jihad Jane's not going there for casual sex, but one in the U.S. went to marry one of the fighters, if I remember the story.........ugh.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies