Walker not having a college degree is going to crush him in crucial swing areas (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:57:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Walker not having a college degree is going to crush him in crucial swing areas (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Walker not having a college degree is going to crush him in crucial swing areas  (Read 6010 times)
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -2.09

« on: April 18, 2014, 04:56:17 PM »

MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 12:21:11 AM »

Less than 40% of Americans even have degrees as is; this type of thing would be a non-issue to most. People who would find this an issue probably wouldn't have voted for Walker in the first place.

Shouldn't the President be an extraordinary person though? 
It's a really important job, an average person should never be President. 

The question is whether the person has the qualifications and skills needed to be President.  A college degree is not necessary, you just want a person to have gained knowledge and experience some other way.
Exactly. The qualifications for president are not the same as an entry level position at in IBanking firm.
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 09:50:02 AM »

Shouldn't the President be an extraordinary person though?  It's a really important job, an average person should never be President. 

The question is whether the person has the qualifications and skills needed to be President.  A college degree is not necessary, you just want a person to have gained knowledge and experience some other way.

The thing is going to College doesn't make anyone "extraordinary" and being elected & re-elected (recall) Governor in a swing state probably means you're not an "average person" either.

This issue will literally affect nothing and I don't see why anyone thought to make a deal about it begin with.

The thing is that doesn't follow logically from what I said at all.  My point was in response to a previous statement that it doesn't matter because a good portion of the adult population has not graduated college.  The average person's resume is irrelevant to the President's qualifications because the President is by definition one of the most elite jobs in the United States.

As to your point, I don't agree that being governor is an automatic qualification to be President.   Sarah Palin was a governor.  Scott Walker just seems like a career political hack.  Maybe he's really knowledgeable, thoughtful and intelligent.  I'm no expert on Scott Walker, but being governor of Wisconsin isn't all you need to know about his background to judge him.
That's where the whole swing state stipulation comes into play. Sarah Palin wouldn't have gotten elected to a state with a self-respecting sense of political awareness.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies