Favorite Pizza Chain
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:23:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Favorite Pizza Chain
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: What is your favorite pizza chain?
Pizza Hut

Domino's

Papa John's

Little Caesar's

Papa Murphey's

Sbarro

CiCi's

Godfather's

Hungry Howie's

Pizza Pro

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Favorite Pizza Chain  (Read 7916 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2014, 03:37:50 AM »

I loved Papa John's as a kid - they handed out coupons as prizes for scholastic achievements, so we'd patronise them all of the time!

They never managed to expand into Australia, so these days I get Domino's, for those cheeky weekend deliveries or the occasional event which requires feeding people.  I live roughly equal distance from a Pizza Hut, but have never tried it.  I do eat it out quite a lot.  But as far as I can tell, it's a delicious snack food and/or meal, and my propensity to prepare it at home and my proclivity to procure it whilst out only propels my ability to consume it.  Where I get the pizza probably matters very little.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2014, 09:53:11 PM »

Pizza Hut although Costco Pizza's amazing too.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2014, 02:44:26 AM »

This is my inner New Jerseyan talking, but I'd never order pizza from a chain restaurant.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2014, 03:21:26 AM »

Jesus, guys, it asked for your favorite chain pizza. Why would you answer "I don't eat chain pizza." OK, does anyone care? Answer the question.
It's called threadsh**tting.  Most places on the internet frown on it (like they frown on people that support pedophiles), but this place is different.  Here, even mods do it (see above).  Normal (non-assholes) see a thread title that doesn't interest or concern them and they skip it.  People here MUST LET YOU KNOW that they don't watch TV, eat chain pizza, or listen to that kind of music.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2014, 09:33:17 PM »

In Chicagoland we have a small chain called Rosati's with about 30 stores in IL and WI. They also have a significant presence in AZ and few other scattered stores in other states. They feature slices throughout the day and they cater pizza and other Italian dishes.
Do you like Lou Malnati's?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2014, 03:06:52 PM »

Jesus, guys, it asked for your favorite chain pizza. Why would you answer "I don't eat chain pizza." OK, does anyone care? Answer the question.
It's called threadsh**tting.  Most places on the internet frown on it (like they frown on people that support pedophiles), but this place is different.  Here, even mods do it (see above).  Normal (non-assholes) see a thread title that doesn't interest or concern them and they skip it.  People here MUST LET YOU KNOW that they don't watch TV, eat chain pizza, or listen to that kind of music.

Stupid questions sommetimes deserve stupid responses.  To someone who likes Pizza asking about a favorite Pizza chain is a stupid question.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2014, 04:40:03 PM »

I said Sbarro, as it's leapfrogged Pizza Hut for my favorite chain on the list. My absolute favorite chain is Cottage Inn, which is only found in Michigan and a few locations in Ohio. However since I'm back in my small hometown for the summer months, if I'm going to spend the money on a decent pizza and not just go to Little Caesar's, I'm going to the good Italian restaurant up the road. It's run by an off-the-boat Italian family who emigrated to this area and started their business in the early 70's.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2014, 04:45:16 PM »

In Chicagoland we have a small chain called Rosati's with about 30 stores in IL and WI. They also have a significant presence in AZ and few other scattered stores in other states. They feature slices throughout the day and they cater pizza and other Italian dishes.
Do you like Lou Malnati's?

I've had it but not often. It seems fine, but they aren't my closest good choice for take out or dine in.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2014, 04:51:55 PM »

Stupid questions sommetimes deserve stupid responses.  To someone who likes Pizza asking about a favorite Pizza chain is a stupid question.
You'd have a point if the word "chain" wasn't in the thread title. 

But it is.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2014, 05:12:22 PM »

Pizza Hut, good crust and stuff it with cheese makes it great. It also tastes good unlike most of the other chains. Still prefer non-chain pizza but I do not mind Pizza Hut.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2014, 06:55:27 PM »

I used to love eating at Pagliacci when I went to UW.   
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2014, 07:05:34 PM »

Of those listed, Pizza Hut.  I much prefer a chain that's local to Oklahoma - Mazzio's.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2014, 07:00:04 AM »

People have opinions related to the thread's subject and want to share them.
Except that is the exact opposite of what is happening.  This thread is about pizza CHAINS, coming in to say you'd never eat at a pizza chain is an ass move.  Period.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2014, 08:10:30 AM »

I honestly don't see how this is that hard to understand.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2014, 09:26:28 AM »

So your opinion of pizza has nothing to do with pizza chains? That's a novel claim. It should not surprise you that no one else shares this unique perspective.

I think he's saying that it's sort of like when someone asks you for your favorite color and you say that you don't like colors.  It is an unnecessary buzzkill.  Whether you generally like or dislike colors wasn't the question, and no matter your opinion of colors in general, there may still be one you find least offensive.  If you simply cannot find one that you like, then there's really no compelling reason to post in such a thread, because if you do post that you don't like colors then you may come off a bit more pretentious than you would have anticipated.

DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2014, 10:16:08 AM »

IMO, threadsh***ing is when someone posts something trollish or dumb, or makes some poor attempt at humor or "sagery" in the midst of a serious conversation.

If we're all sitting around and someone says, "What's everybody's favorite chain pizza?" And someone says, "I prefer Joe's pizzeria" or whatever, "but if I had to pick chain pizza, it would be ___," that would be considered an entirely fair response. That's mainly what people are doing because the topic is about pizza. Around here there really are local pizzerias that blow the chain pizzas away, and it's undoubtedly the same in other cities. Nothing wrong with sharing that.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2014, 11:12:24 AM »

If we're all sitting around and someone says, "What's everybody's favorite chain pizza?" And someone says, "I prefer Joe's pizzeria" or whatever, "but if I had to pick chain pizza, it would be ___," that would be considered an entirely fair response.

Sure.  Muon did that.  I did that.  It's a reasonable thing to do.  It's sort of like saying, "Well, I prefer the microwave region of the Emag spectrum generally, but when I'm slumming in the visible region, I kinda like chartreuse."  That's not at all the same as saying, "I don't like colors.  Period."
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2014, 11:45:16 AM »

Right.  This isn't a threadsh**t
Ideally non-chain. (Italian) However, Sbarro by far, of the choices given.
nor this
I like Dominos. It's not really pizza, but it's pretty tasty cheesey tomato and meat bread.
On the other hand, the following is a perfect example of one
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2014, 12:42:10 PM »

Man, quite the contretemps above - and over pizza! Anyway, to squirt some more lighter fluid on the fire - Z Pizza is Numero Uno (the Thai chicken is to die for). If you are going to do a carbo-overload, at least make the experience a satisfying one.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2014, 01:30:34 PM »

Man, quite the contretemps above - and over pizza! Anyway, to squirt some more lighter fluid on the fire - Z Pizza is Numero Uno (the Thai chicken is to die for). If you are going to do a carbo-overload, at least make the experience a satisfying one.

Pizza threads are always controversial here.  Remember the dust up between actual pizza and "Chicago-style" awhile back?

I'm still not getting why questioning the implicit assumption behind a thread (in this case, that everyone had a favorite chain pizza of places) should be considered out of bounds or even insensitive. Does it actually bother you to hear that some people don't like any chain pizza?

The pretentiousness angle doesn't strike me as compelling, either. We're talking about pizza. The kind of local joints that abound in the Northeast are just as greasy, cheap, and unnutritious as anything that a chain restaurant puts out, so it seems like a reasonable comparison to draw. No one is talking about artisanal pizza with sun dried tomatos, olive oil, and goat cheese or anything like that, even though I'm sure that there are posters who prefer fancy pizza.

This, exactly this.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2014, 03:55:11 PM »

WTF is a Pizza Chain? Is that the sort of chains mafiosos wear in prison?
I have to concur with these two gentlemen:

I've never lived in a place where I couldn't order from a local pizza place reasonably cheaply and conveniently.

Favorite and Pizza Chain should NEVER be in the same sentence....
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2014, 04:11:37 PM »

I'm still not getting why questioning the implicit assumption behind a thread (in this case, that everyone has a favorite chain pizza place) should be considered out of bounds or even insensitive. Does it actually bother you to hear that some people don't like any chain pizza?

The pretentiousness angle doesn't strike me as compelling, either. We're talking about pizza. The kind of local joints that abound in the Northeast are just as greasy, cheap, and unnutritious as anything that a chain restaurant puts out, so it seems like a reasonable comparison to draw. No one is talking about artisanal pizza with sun dried tomatos, olive oil, and goat cheese or anything like that, even though I'm sure that there are posters who prefer fancy pizza.
I don't give a piss about pizza and laugh at pizza elitists.  I'm talking about threadsh**tting.  If a thread is titled favorite TV shows, somebody WILL come in, just to show us how cool they are, to tell us that they don't watch TV or what's on TV right now is crap compared to whatever stupid age of TV they think was better.  Threadsh**tting.  Try and start a Simpsons thread on ANY Simpsons topic without at least a 1/4 of the posters telling us how much better it was in seasons random number-random number, even if the thread was about favorite secondary characters.  Threadsh**tting.  In the What's Your Favorite My Little Pony thread that no doubt existed at some point I'm sure there were people dropping in just to make fun of the weirdos participating in the thread.  Threadsh**tting.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2014, 07:23:16 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2014, 08:25:01 PM by angus »

I'm going to jump on Dead0man's bandwagon here. It's bothersome, but not because you don't like chain pizza.  If we got upset every time someone doesn't like something we like then we'd always be fretting.  Dead0man, for example, claims not to like mushrooms.  Now, I could get my panties in a tight little wad about that if I wanted.  I eat a mushroom almost every day.  Sometimes several types of mushrooms.  Bracket fungi as well.  Right now, in my refrigerator, I have two kinds of mushroom and at least one type of bracket fungi.  (And those are just the ones we bought.  With a magnifying glass, I could probably identify a few more types that I'm getting for free!)  And that's just today.  Some days we have five or more types of mushrooms.  So to see his post in the mushroom thread about being too good, or too delicate, to eat mushrooms was a bit jolting.  But I get that.  Some folks just don't like mushrooms.  Even for a facultative fungivore like myself, the incapacity to appreciate nature's most perfect food is understandable.  Bottom line:  each to his own tastes.  

The bothersome point here isn't one's incapacity to like something, or even one's feigned incapacity.  It is the illogic.  The question said what is your favorite pizza chain?  Now, we could quibble about the choices offered.  I did, in fact.  (What the hell is Pizza Pro?!  And Hungry Howie's?)  But the question itself is legit:  "What is your favorite Pizza Chain?"  Of course it freaking makes the assumption that you can identify a pizza chain you like.  Such threads always make such assumptions.  Yes, sometimes the OP finds the need to preface it with "Republicans only" or "Germans only" or whatever, but the absence of "People who can identify a Pizza chain that is their favorite only" as a preface shouldn't lead you to believe that the generally-implied tacit presumptions don't exist.  

I also understand that threadshitting can be cathartic.  Of course, I take a big, gut-wrenching, bowl-staining dump on threads from time to time.  I used to try to always be the first to resort to Godwin's Law, for example, and I went through a mullet period as well.  I especially like picking apart some obscure point of grammar which ends up totally derailing what would otherwise be a good question.  

In the What's Your Favorite My Little Pony thread that no doubt existed at some point I'm sure there were people dropping in just to make fun of the weirdos participating in the thread.  Threadsh**tting.

Oh yeah, I took a huge shit on that thread.  I even got flak from some of the more moderate moderators regarding my intolerable behavior in that one.  Can't remember how many death points I got, but I'm sure that it was worth it.  Sometimes I just get in a strange mood that causes me to want to spread my special blend of wisdom, bigotry, prudery, and alcohol-induced stupor on every thread I encounter, but at least I'm honest with myself about it.  If someone has the presence of mind to call me out on it, I promptly admit that I'm threadshitting and move on, rather than trying to make some asinine argument based on false logic and end up digging my hole deeper.  Never dig the hole deeper, Avaroës Nix. If you're going to take a big shit on someone's thread, better to leave it in a very shallow hole so that it can be smelt by all.  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies