Death of A Statesman
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:43:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Death of A Statesman
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: Death of A Statesman  (Read 30859 times)
TX Conservative Dem
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: April 04, 2014, 12:17:51 PM »

How would Garner have handled the hot-button issue of race relations. Especially, the fight for African Americans to desegregate the Armed Forces ?

DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #126 on: April 04, 2014, 03:34:48 PM »

Garner hasn't been President for almost 30 years.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #127 on: April 05, 2014, 07:39:50 AM »

How would Garner have handled the hot-button issue of race relations. Especially, the fight for African Americans to desegregate the Armed Forces ?

From what I can tell, Garner probably would have took a "states rights" position on the issue of desegregation.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #128 on: April 05, 2014, 01:17:42 PM »

Eisenhower Resigns Amid Differences

Washington Post, Morning Edition - July 8, 1950

Secretary of War Dwight D. Eisenhower tendered his resignation early this morning. Speaking to the press following his announcement, Mr. Eisenhower said that he and President Earl Warren had “irreconcilable differences” in regards to the foreign policy of the United States. Many analysts have taken this to mean that Mr. Eisenhower disagrees with the NASO decision to remain neutral during the Korean Crisis. This comes as a major blow to the Warren administration, as many expected Mr. Eisenhower to be Mr. Warren’s nominee for Vice President.

Senator Morse Tapped for Vice President

Washington Post, Evening Edition - August 21, 1950

A White House spokesman announced today that President Earl Warren has selected his Vice Presidential nominee. Senator Wayne Morse, a Republican of Oregon, was tapped to serve as Mr. Warren’s Vice Presidential nominee. Mr. Morse is a known dove, a staunch opposer to armed conflict, and will not have trouble toeing the line in regards to the Korean Crisis. Mr. Morse is popular in Congress and will likely receive little opposition from either party during the confirmation process.

Slight Economic Recovery

Washington Post, Morning Edition - September 2, 1950

President Earl Warren has received a mild dose of good news. The Bureau of Labor Statistics, in their yearly ‘State of the American Economy’, announced that unemployment is down from it’s high of 6.3% last year. The current unemployment rate for the nation is 5.9%, a .4% decrease. There is still a large number of unemployed, but it is going down. Mr. Warren hailed the “Age of Prosperity” as the main cause for the drop in unemployment. This is likely to help Republicans as the final stretch, going into the midterms, begins.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #129 on: April 09, 2014, 09:05:14 PM »

Morse Sworn In

Washington Post, Afternoon Edition - October 5, 1950

Senator Wayne Morse, Republican of Oregon, was sworn in today by Associate Supreme Court Fred M. Vinson as the next Vice President of the United States. Mr. Mores was approved by the Senate yesterday morning by a unanimous vote, receiving support from both Republicans and Democrats. Attending the swearing in were President Earl Warren, Mrs. Mildred Morse, and Secretary of State Tom Connally. Mr. Morse is now expected to travel across the East Coast to make his name more familiar with the populace.

Second Communist Bombing

New York Times, Special Edition - October 22, 1950

For the second time in a year, members of the Communist Party have attacked American soil. Early this morning, during the rush-time hour, five bombs were detonated in Grand Central Station. 127 were killed and dozens more injured by the homemade bombs. Six members of the Communist Party of America were arrested by New York City Police. It was reported by the NYPD that all six people arrested confessed to planting and detonating the bombs.

Warren Calls for Compassion Towards Communists

Washington Post, Evening Edition - November 1, 1950

In an address to the nation, President Earl Warren called for “compassion and fair treatment towards” Communists. This was in response to the recent wave of terrorist attacks led by Communist Party members. Always a supporter of the rights of the accused, Mr. Warren pointed out that “being a Communist is not an illegal activity. We allow people to be part of all political parties and people to hold all kinds of ideologies”. A poll from Gallup showed that only 31% of Americans agree with Mr. Warren, while 62% said they “staunchly opposed” Mr. Warren’s statement and 7% were unsure.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #130 on: April 10, 2014, 03:17:52 PM »

New Congress Takes Office

Washington Post, Special Edition - January 3, 1951

The newly elected, 82nd Congress took their seats this morning. In the Senate, this puts the balance of power at 40 (-6) seats for the Democrats, 52 (+4) for the Republicans, 4 (+2) for the States’ Rights Democratic Party, and 0 (-1)  for the Progressives. In the map above, dark red indicates a Democratic hold, pink indicates a Democratic pickup, dark blue indicates a Republican hold, light blue indicates a Republican pickup, and light green indicates a States’ Rights pick up. Senator John W. Bricker, a Republican of Ohio, will serve as Majority Leader and Senator Harry S. Truman, a Democrat of Missouri, will serve as Minority Leader. Senators Joseph R. McCarthy (R-WI) and John F. Kennedy (D-MA) will serve as the Majority and Minority Whips. In the House of Representatives,  the Republicans now hold 239 (+4), the Democrats hold 172 seats (-1), the States’ Rights Democrats 23 (+2), the Farmer-Labor 6 (+4), and the Progressives 3 (-1). Representative Leslie C. Arends, a Republican of Illinois, will continue to serve as the Speaker of the House for this Congress.

Warren’s Unpopularity Does Not Impact Midterms

Washington Post, Evening Edition - January 29, 1951

Nearly a month after the Congress was sworn in, the final ballots have been counted from across the nation and the analysis is in. It is clear, just from the number of Republicans in Congress, that President Earl Warren’s personal unpopularity had no impact on Congressional races. The Republicans gained 6 seats in the Senate, expanding their majority, and 4 in the House, also adding to their slim majority there. Senate Majority Leader John W. Bricker, Republican of Ohio, said that he felt Mr. Warren “played a hands off role” in midterm campaigns and “left the candidates to run on their own laurels”. Mr. Warren holds a 43% approval rating from the general public, according to Gallup.

Eisenhower Elected Secretary-General of NASO

San Francisco Chronicle, Evening Edition - March 30, 1951

Following the resignation of NASO Secretary-General Harold Alexander of Canada, the Council voted on their new head. It was decided that Mr. Dwight D. Eisenhower, liberator of Europe and former Secretary of War, should assume the post as new NASO head. Speaking to reporters after the announcement was made, Mr. Eisenhower said “It is an honor I had not expected to be given”. He promised that NASO would “continue to fulfil it’s goal of mediating international conflicts” and protecting the interests of the North American continent.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #131 on: April 11, 2014, 08:33:34 PM »

NASO Inducts New Members

San Francisco Chronicle, Morning Edition - May 3, 1951

The North American Security Organization accepted it’s first new members since it’s founding in 1949. Panama, under President Dr. Arnulfo Arias, El Salvador, under President Oscar Osorio, and Argentina, under President Juan Peron, were admitted to NASO’s General Assembly yesterday afternoon, with Argentina gaining acceptance to the Security Council also. NASO Secretary-General Dwight D. Eisenhower welcomed the new member-states, saying that it was “a great joy to expand the effort” of prosperity in the Americas. Argentina is the first South American nation to be admitted to NASO, expanding the organizations influence substantially.

Warren Announces Election Intentions

Washington Post, Special Edition - August 25, 1951

Speaking to an assembly of the National Young Republican Conference, President Earl Warren announced his plans for future elections. Mr. Warren told the college Republicans that he would be seeking a full term as President. “We’ve done great work, the economy is rebounding, and our children are receiving a better education than before...” said Mr. Warren. This has created a spark for political commentators, as many expected someone to challenge the President at the convention. Dr. Benjamin Thompkins, a professor of politics at George Washington University, said that he “would not be surprised” if NASO Secretary-General Dwight D. Eisenhower or Senate Majority Whip Joseph R. McCarthy challenged Mr. Warren.

Senate Passes Anti-Communism Bill

Washington Post, Evening Edition - December 12, 1951

The Senate today passed what will likely be their final piece of legislation for the year. The “Support For Democracy Act”, championed by Senator Majority Whip Joseph R. McCarthy, Republican of Wisconsin, was passed by a 75-21 vote. The bill states that the United States “fully and completely opposes the ideas and theories of Communism” and supports democracy across the globe. President Earl Warren said he had “reservations” about the bill, instead favoring a “more moderate approach to the issue of political ideology”. The House is expected to pass the bill later this week, before sending it to the President’s desk.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #132 on: April 12, 2014, 04:20:36 PM »

Warren Vetoes Anti-Communist Bill

Washington Post, Special Edition - December 20, 1951

Although it passed both Houses of Congress by large margins, President Earl Warren vetoed the “Support For Democracy Act”. In his statement, Mr. Warren said he “does not support the complete rejection of a political ideology”. Politicians across the nation attacked the President for being “soft and passive” on Communism and  “supportive” of the Soviet Union. Senator Joseph R. McCarthy, Republican of Wisconsin, took to the airwaves to slam Mr. Warren for “giving in to the greatest threat towards our nation” since the War of 1812. An immediate poll from Gallup showed that only 24% of the nation agreed with Mr. Warren’s decision to veto the bill.

NASO Votes to Act in Korea

San Francisco Chronicle, Special Edition - January 1, 1952

In a special session of NASO, a new vote was taken on the Korean Crisis as Korean Dictator Kim Il-Sung announces plans for further expansion. NASO Secretary-General Dwight D. Eisenhower announced to the press that, in a 5-2 vote, NASO voted to “provide immediate support” to democratic rebels in the Korean Peninsula. This is a complete reverse in policy from the original, non-interventionist plan that was voted on in 1950. “The General Assembly has decided,” said Mr. Eisenhower “that the situation in Korea is grave enough to require action from the NASO Coalition”. A clause in the NASO Charter requires all member-states to send a set number of troops and supplies to NASO, “in order to protect North American interests”, should the General Assembly require them. President Earl Warren has been at odds with the Eisenhower-led NASO, but he has agreed to fulfil the United States’ obligation to commit troops.

NASO Begins Bombing Korea

San Francisco Chronicle, Evening Edition - February 3, 1952

The United States is back at war, after ending the Nazi War in 1947. American planes, as a part of the NASO Coalition, began dropping bombs over the Korean Peninsula. Nearly 100 Coalition planes took off from Pearl Harbor Navy Base, in Hawaii, this morning and took the first steps towards repelling North Koreans from the South. The planes carpet bombed the countryside outside of Seoul, targeting major infrastructure sites of the Northern invaders. According to NASO officials, the Koreans were caught off guard and only managed to down 4 Coalition planes.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #133 on: April 18, 2014, 07:03:07 PM »

After much thought, I've decided that it's time for this timeline to come to a close. Setting the POD so far back gave me extreme discretion over the coarse of events, but it also hindered my ability to accurately predict and determine how people would react to these new scenarios. I also feel that the format hindered my ability to be as creative as I would have liked. I think you all for reading and enjoying this TL with me. Look forward to a new TL either later this evening or early tomorrow morning.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #134 on: April 18, 2014, 10:09:40 PM »

This was a pretty good timeline in my opinion! I may be starting a timeline in the near future and was wondering if I can use parts of your format in it?
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #135 on: April 18, 2014, 10:12:39 PM »

This was a pretty good timeline in my opinion! I may be starting a timeline in the near future and was wondering if I can use parts of your format in it?

Please do. Glad I could help!
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #136 on: April 18, 2014, 11:40:47 PM »

After much thought, I've decided that it's time for this timeline to come to a close. Setting the POD so far back gave me extreme discretion over the coarse of events, but it also hindered my ability to accurately predict and determine how people would react to these new scenarios. I also feel that the format hindered my ability to be as creative as I would have liked. I think you all for reading and enjoying this TL with me. Look forward to a new TL either later this evening or early tomorrow morning.
Excellent timeline, man.
Captain Chaos
GZ67
United States

« Reply #137 on: April 19, 2014, 08:40:18 AM »

What would happen in the 1952 Presidential election?
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #138 on: April 19, 2014, 09:22:21 AM »

I planned on 1952 being Earl Warren/Wayne Morse (R) v. Lyndon Johnson/Adlai Stevenson II (D) v. Dwight Eisenhower/Richard Nixon (I) v. Strom Thurmond/Fielding Wright (SRDP) v. Hubert Humphrey/John Kennedy (Liberal). I'll post a map later tonight, feel free to post your own predictions.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #139 on: April 19, 2014, 08:54:57 PM »

NASO Secretary General Dwight D. Eisenhower/Senator Richard M. Nixon (I) - 314
Senator J. Strom Thurmond/Governor Fielding L. Wright (SRDP) - 102
President Earl Warren/Vice President Wayne Morse (R) - 87
Senator Lyndon B. Johnson/Governor Adlai Stevenson II (D) - 28
Mayor Hubert H. Humphrey/Senator John F. Kennedy (Lib.) - 0
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »