Richard Dawkins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:46:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Richard Dawkins
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What is your opinion of him.
Good

Bad

Mixed

other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Richard Dawkins  (Read 2199 times)
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 18, 2014, 07:51:44 PM »

I vote Good. He seems reasonable in many ways. Although he is very controversial, I don't find him arrogant or even abrasive.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 08:05:53 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2014, 08:08:32 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

Richard Dawkins is neither a religious figure nor a philosopher. His contributions to debate on those subjects are largely political in character, and in my opinion skew heavily (but are not universally) negative. It should be noted that he's also far from an uncontroversially revered figure in his own world of ethology.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 08:07:11 PM »

He, in my humble opinion, should stick to science.  His contributions to his field are original and enlightening.  I can't say the same for his religion books.

But of course, I'm biased. Wink
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 08:09:02 PM »

The problem is that some religious people want to bring religion into the science class.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 08:12:10 PM »

And if Dawkins focused mainly on explaining why that's a bad idea then he'd be in the right.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 08:17:11 PM »

Well, in the video on youtube, "the god delusion" he focuses on the harm of extreme religion.
I just finished watching it. He also brings out the point that there is zero evidence for religion.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 08:20:38 PM »

Of course many scientists avoid getting involved directly in religious controversy and some do believe in God, but since science has historically been attacked by religious people, I think that it entirely appropriate for scientists to be critical of religion. Religion should not have the special protection that it has.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 08:22:23 PM »

In many ways we have not gotten beyond the controversy of the Scopes monkey trial.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 08:51:10 PM »

That's a very simplistic outlook.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 09:19:00 PM »

How many religions are based on math, logic, reason or science?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 09:38:33 PM »

Pythagoreanism would seem to be a logical candidate.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 10:06:32 PM »

Exactly as many as ought to be.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 10:14:04 PM »

I read The God Delusion and wasn't impressed. You're much better off reading Dennett if you want atheist polemics.

The main issues with it were:
a) He made bizarre assertions about history that were blatantly false
b) Spending pages and pages attacking strawman arguments for Christianity/God and then ignoring most of our top guys. I think he spent like two paragraphs on Aquinas, but a heck of a lot more on Tim LaHaye.

Of course many scientists avoid getting involved directly in religious controversy and some do believe in God, but since science has historically been attacked by religious people, I think that it entirely appropriate for scientists to be critical of religion. Religion should not have the special protection that it has.

Atheists are to history what Baptists are to biology.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 10:57:02 PM »

Richard Dawkins likes to say that he would have been a Christian before the writing of Origin as, in his own opinion, God pre-Darwin was the best theory of how to explain 'design' in nature.

Dawkins is very fond of the notion of the 'design' in nature and its origin in natural selection, this comes clear if you ever read him or listen to him speak on biology. Yet this issue is not without controversy in evolutionary biology, a fact that his fanboys never seem to bring up.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 11:16:11 PM »

Negative, should stay in the lab instead of engaging in atheist fundamentalism.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 11:17:52 PM »

Isn't Dawkins technically retired in his capacity as a scientist anyway? He's in his early seventies by now.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 11:45:03 PM »

I don't see the point of the whole atheist genre of books and rhetoric. 

I think there's no evidence of God or Gods.  I've never heard a strong argument in favor of God or even a weak one.  But, I think people are religious out of bunch of non-logical reasons.  It's cultural, social and it makes people feel spiritual about life and peaceful about death.  That's not going to be argued away with logic.  Plus, I feel like if you get down to it, many people just aren't interested in thinking about whether or not God exists.  They ultimately don't want to critically question something they hold dear like that.  So, I think the Dawkins rhetorical strategy is a flawed enterprise.

I think the better way to cut back at a religion is to slowly question the more silly aspects of a religion and the areas where it clashes with modern ethics and lifestyle. 
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 10:32:12 AM »

Both of these statements, as well as their implications, are one hundred percent correct, IMO. It's why faith and science on a philosophical level are not reconcilable.

Faith and myth hold truth / meaning for you, or they don't. They don't for me.

Yes, yes, and I'm a "fundamentalist" historian, because I don't believe in the hydra, the cyclops, or people rising from the dead. Or this stuff:

°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 02:38:34 PM »

I don't see the point of the whole atheist genre of books and rhetoric.  

I think there's no evidence of God or Gods.  I've never heard a strong argument in favor of God or even a weak one.  But, I think people are religious out of bunch of non-logical reasons.  It's cultural, social and it makes people feel spiritual about life and peaceful about death.  That's not going to be argued away with logic.  Plus, I feel like if you get down to it, many people just aren't interested in thinking about whether or not God exists.  They ultimately don't want to critically question something they hold dear like that.  So, I think the Dawkins rhetorical strategy is a flawed enterprise.

I think the better way to cut back at a religion is to slowly question the more silly aspects of a religion and the areas where it clashes with modern ethics and lifestyle.  

Well, one problem with religion which I have always found ironic is that it is so *divisive*; theists need to get their act together, stop fighting each other, worship the same god and leave atheists alone in the meantime. I see no useful purpose for theism, in so far as theism promotes ethical and honest living I will give credit where credit is due, but all to often theists fail to live up to their own principles.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2014, 03:55:13 PM »

Both of these statements, as well as their implications, are one hundred percent correct, IMO. It's why faith and science on a philosophical level are not reconcilable.

Irreconcilable in what can and should be a fairly benign way, however, I'd submit.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2014, 04:34:33 PM »

Irreconcilable in what can and should be a fairly benign way, however, I'd submit.

Yes, I promise to forego crusading!

I actually think the discussion can be fruitful, but I think the objectives of it should be adjusted from trying to convince each other (either science or religion is on the offense, it seems) to exchanging ideas. Science is about method first and body of knowledge second, and it really disagrees with faith, I think. Faith takes the view, I think, that knowledge is passively revealed, and science takes the view that it is actively built. Then there's the supernatural / natural cause aspect, so I think a lot can be exchanged, but maybe the objectives of the discussion could be adjusted. 
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2014, 04:41:27 PM »

Yes, I promise to forego crusading!

I actually think the discussion can be fruitful, but I think the objectives of it should be adjusted from trying to convince each other (either science or religion is on the offense, it seems) to exchanging ideas. Science is about method first and body of knowledge second, and it really disagrees with faith, I think. Faith takes the view, I think, that knowledge is passively revealed, and science takes the view that it is actively built. Then there's the supernatural / natural cause aspect, so I think a lot can be exchanged, but maybe the objectives of the discussion could be adjusted. 

I'm in entire agreement with that.
Meursault
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2014, 04:45:18 PM »

I'm what would be considered a 'militant atheist' by those who don't care to draw fine distinctions between different kinds of vocal atheists, but I'm contemptuous of the entire 'New Atheist' tendency represented by Dawkins, Dennett, &etc.

Primarily this is because what they're campaigning for is not atheism per se, but secular humanism, which is rooted in a series of Enlightenment-derived assumptions that are not necessary for atheism to function intellectually, i.e. the view that morality is basically objective and rooted in evolutionary psychology, that epistemology functions more or less the way it appears to - the relatively unsophisticated positivism of New Atheism cuts very close to naïve realism in a lot of ways, and so on.

What I'd like to see, but probably never will, is a revitalization of interest in Continental atheism, a tradition that includes Max Stirner, Arthur Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, the French existentialists, Heidegger, etc.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2014, 01:55:21 PM »

He also brings out the point that there is zero evidence for religion.

I fail to see how this is at all relevant and isn't just another attempt at empiricism trying to colonize the other intellectual disciplines with its own rules and arrogantly judging them failures for failing to meet the test it imposes.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2014, 03:21:20 PM »

He also brings out the point that there is zero evidence for religion.

I fail to see how this is at all relevant and isn't just another attempt at empiricism trying to colonize the other intellectual disciplines with its own rules and arrogantly judging them failures for failing to meet the test it imposes.

OK, can you tell me if there is non-empirical evidence for religion, by giving one or more examples?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies