Opinion of marijuana edibles
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:18:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Opinion of marijuana edibles
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What is your opinion of marijuana edibles?
FF (D)
HF (D)
FF (R)
HF (R)
FF (I/O)
HF (I/O)
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Opinion of marijuana edibles  (Read 3191 times)
AggregateDemand
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 18, 2014, 08:06:17 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/04/18/denver-death-marijuana-edibles/7887025/

Marijuana edibles have been implicated in two high-profile Colorado tragedies. What is your opinion of edibles? Freedom Foods or Horrible Foods? Should commercially-produced edibles remain legal?
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 08:10:10 PM »

HPP (Horrible Push Poll)
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 08:26:38 PM »

Freedom Food. Why they continue to give "experts" like Wachtel the time of day is beyond me.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 08:46:57 PM »

Freedom Food. Why they continue to give "experts" like Wachtel the time of day is beyond me.

I think the problem is that it's easier to get higher than you planned with edibles. 
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 09:04:29 PM »

I think the problem is that it's easier to get higher than you planned with edibles. 

There's plenty of perfectly ways to consume alcohol that make it easier to get drunker and get drunk faster than you planned that are still perfectly legal. Hell simply using a straw will do that.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 09:07:41 PM »

Neutral.

I'm against them personally, but I'm not a control freak wanting to outlaw everything. If someone like them, well, I have no issue with letting those persons enjoy them.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 09:34:29 PM »

Well, smoking is unhealthy, so I have no problem with their widespread use and availability.  Only tried this method myself a few times, however.  Generally the effect is intoxicating enough that you sort of just don't really do anything, let alone anything dangerous.  It can be a nice way to relax if you don't have any obligations for a couple of days.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 09:35:59 PM »

Consuming marijuana through edibles is about the safest way to do so in terms of mitigating long-term health risks. Commercially available edibles should be highly FDA regulated and tested once the blanket national ban is lifted, with specific instructions given on the packaging for their use. They're delivering a medicine, after all.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 11:25:58 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2014, 11:28:30 PM by AggregateDemand »

Yeah, dosage and lack of FDA oversight. I also worry about combining marijuana with the industrial food complex. Right now, marijuana is a local cottage industry that fuels small businesses. If the industrial food complex starts demanding marijuana concentrate for food products, marijuana will become another uncontrollable (almost) vice industry, like tobacco.

I'm worried that edibles could scuttle legalization. It's easier to overdose. Vapor is already safer than smoking. Sweets appeal to children. Industrial food polls low across all demographics. Many problems.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 02:11:14 AM »

Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 08:35:38 AM »

FF. nice way to circumvent the no smoking in public/hotel rooms policy in Denver, alongside vaping tbh.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 11:01:33 AM »

This is ridiculous. Maybe there should be better packaging cautioning people to take it slowly with edibles, and to wait an hour or two before redosing, but we can't idiot proof this world. If you eat 6 cookies and jump of a balcony, I think the world is better of for it.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 11:04:48 AM »

Brownies are always a freedom food.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 11:07:40 AM »

Also, a common sense regulation would be to ensure that edible products are easily dividable into single doses. So instead of selling one big brownie with 100 mg of THC, sell brownie bites with 10 mg each. And don't allow candies to come as 100mg each since its impossible to break them. 100mg ingested once, especially taken with some fatty food, will cause a bad experience even for experienced smokers.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 06:27:14 PM »

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 07:04:39 PM »

Horrible food but > the OP and his "presentation" of this debate
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2014, 07:07:21 PM »

Marijuana edibles implicated in tragedy...remember the four loko incident in Washington? Fascists will remain such, why can't we just accept that the world is populated with a significant portion of stupid people?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 07:41:19 PM »

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 07:43:36 PM »

They shouldn't be illegal obviously, but you kids need to be careful with them. Last time I did edibles, I was almost murdered by a drunken West Virginia redneck.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2014, 02:28:42 PM »

Edibles are dangerous in that they take a lot longer to hit you so you don't think you're that high so you eat more and then an hour later you can barely see because you have such a big dopey smile on your face that you can't open your eyes.

Or least that's what I've heard.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2014, 02:37:54 PM »

They shouldn't be illegal obviously, but you kids need to be careful with them. Last time I did edibles, I was almost murdered by a drunken West Virginia redneck.

Story please.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2014, 03:02:04 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2014, 03:05:21 PM by Boris »

Yeah, dosage and lack of FDA oversight. I also worry about combining marijuana with the industrial food complex. Right now, marijuana is a local cottage industry that fuels small businesses. If the industrial food complex starts demanding marijuana concentrate for food products, marijuana will become another uncontrollable (almost) vice industry, like tobacco.

I'm worried that edibles could scuttle legalization. It's easier to overdose. Vapor is already safer than smoking. Sweets appeal to children. Industrial food polls low across all demographics. Many problems.

Edibles legally sold in Colorado (and the Netherlands) are labeled with dosage info and even sold in child protective containers:

Granted, the issue is that I have no idea how 25mg THC would affect me until I take it. But I had no idea when I first started drinking how an 8% beer vs. a 5% beer would affect me, or how many $2 long islands it takes to black out, or how many tequila shots I can handle before I throw up, etc. That's all a part of growing up, really.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2014, 04:05:39 PM »

Plz expand, I love Uncle Lief storytime.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2014, 04:20:59 PM »

Its 4:20 PM on 4/20
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2014, 08:24:24 PM »

Edibles legally sold in Colorado (and the Netherlands) are labeled with dosage info and even sold in child protective containers:

Granted, the issue is that I have no idea how 25mg THC would affect me until I take it. But I had no idea when I first started drinking how an 8% beer vs. a 5% beer would affect me, or how many $2 long islands it takes to black out, or how many tequila shots I can handle before I throw up, etc. That's all a part of growing up, really.

Yes, but people are stupid and can't be bothered to read, eat too much and jump of balconies. And apparently for some people, the rational thing to do would be to ban edibles rather than let stupid people die off.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies