Are Muslims ready for democracy? The view from Denmark.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:54:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Are Muslims ready for democracy? The view from Denmark.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are Muslims ready for democracy? The view from Denmark.  (Read 2119 times)
ingemann
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 27, 2014, 02:26:20 PM »
« edited: April 30, 2014, 05:46:53 AM by afleitch »

I thought this article was an interesting as a start for an discussion. I dislike the headline, because I don't think the article answer it, and I don't think any article could answer it (more than a article saying the same about Christians, Atheists etc.). As for the person in the article; Henrik Dahl was when I was younger not only the most well known sociologist in Danish popular culture, he was also a important voice on the left, later he has grown disillusioned with the Danish left, through (beside this article) he has not come with statements which are supportive of the right. Mostly he has criticised persons on the left (like the PM) and condemned the left for having little vision beside growing the public sector.

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2013/08/28/are-muslims-ready-for-democracy-lessons-from-denmark/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 02:54:03 PM »

Considering the DFP's numbers, the Danes might not be ready for democracy either.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 03:07:03 PM »

Considering the DFP's numbers, the Danes might not be ready for democracy either.

...and you're clearly not ready for democracy either, DPP for all I dislike them, are a non-violent organisation which respect rule of law and election results. But a intolerant anti-democrat like you are clearly unable to respect the fact that people don't think the same as you.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 04:43:24 PM »

...and you're clearly not ready for democracy either, DPP for all I dislike them, are a non-violent organisation which respect rule of law and election results. But a intolerant anti-democrat like you are clearly unable to respect the fact that people don't think the same as you.

Oh, you mean like the people who judge an entire religious group based on a few anecdotes and the usual garnish of stereotyping and generalizations?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 06:45:42 PM »

It's not clear to me what about this is new or interesting at all.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 06:48:59 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betteridge's_law_of_headlines
Meursault
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 01:09:34 AM »

Of course the Muslim is ready for democracy. In many ways he is more purely democratic than the Western man. And therein lies the problem: Islamic democracy is an illiberal democracy; it chooses raw majoritarianism over selective protectioms for minorities. Don't criticize Islam for being incompatible with democracy, then, but with liberalism.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 01:13:21 AM »

The same article could be written in Louisiana or Kansas, with Baptists/Evangelicals replacing Muslims.

The issue isn't Islam, it's religious fundamentalism.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 03:31:11 PM »

Oh, you mean like the people who judge an entire religious group based on a few anecdotes and the usual garnish of stereotyping and generalizations?

What did you think I meant with the bolded line.

I thought this article was an interesting as a start for an discussion. I dislike the headline, because I don't think the article answer it, and I don't think any article could answer it (more than a article saying the same about Christians, Atheists etc.). As for the person in the article; Henrik Dahl was when I was younger not only the most well known sociologist in Danish popular culture, he was also a important voice on the left, later he has grown disillusioned with the Danish left, through (beside this article) he has not come with statements which are supportive of the right. Mostly he has criticised persons on the left (like the PM) and condemned the left for having little vision beside growing the public sector.

I meant that the headline was insulting, but I thought the rest of the article was interesting enough that I could ignore the headline.

Ironic that someone condemning other for turning their nose against the social science, ignoring an article where the person interviewed are sociologist. But I guess expects in the social science are only relevant when they say and think the same as you.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 03:33:00 PM »

Of course the Muslim is ready for democracy. In many ways he is more purely democratic than the Western man. And therein lies the problem: Islamic democracy is an illiberal democracy; it chooses raw majoritarianism over selective protectioms for minorities. Don't criticize Islam for being incompatible with democracy, then, but with liberalism.

Crap, everyone love the dictatorship of the majority when they're in majority, there nothing especially Muslim about that.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 03:43:16 PM »

The same article could be written in Louisiana or Kansas, with Baptists/Evangelicals replacing Muslims.

The issue isn't Islam, it's religious fundamentalism.

Of course we could, and nobody would lift an eyebrow if we condemned those people for those things, but raising the precisely same question against an illiberal "non-White" non-Christian group and the people who can not condemn the people in Louisiana or Kansas fast enough, raise Hell. There are a lot of liberal Muslims, just as there are a lot of liberal people in Louisiana or Kansas, but for some reason, it's not them who are able to dominate the debate or getting the backing of the silent majority of their own group.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 04:00:53 PM »

How is someone like Naser Khader viewed in Denmark's Muslim community? Does his views on integration and Islamism have much support?

(For non-Danes: Khader is a Danish Muslim politician. I know him primarily for often changing political parties, and for being a critic of radical Islam).
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 04:30:47 PM »

How is someone like Naser Khader viewed in Denmark's Muslim community? Does his views on integration and Islamism have much support?

(For non-Danes: Khader is a Danish Muslim politician. I know him primarily for often changing political parties, and for being a critic of radical Islam).

Most Muslims I have talked with about him, and most Muslims who talk about him in the media, have a negative opinion of Khader. Some describe him in racist term (as a oreo), other more Muslims (both liberal and illiberal) can really just not stand the the man. Honestly I understand the latter. I have dealt with many members of the Social Liberals, and even while he was member of the party he was despised for being a glory hound and lazy (really the worst sin in a politician, worse than stupidity). Nothing that I have seen from him indicate that they wasn't correct.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 04:40:11 AM »

He is mainly seen as a "coconut" (brown outside and white inside), basically even secular Muslims see him as too eager to please the Danes. Also after his party switches Khader has generally lost his popularity and is a marginal and often a bit ridiculed figure in the eyes of the public, all though his views on the Syrian Civil War are respected.
Foucaulf
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 06:07:17 PM »

I really like pork too, but to call a daycare board banning it a "grim story" is a bit hyperbolic. Will the author react the same way if a Canadian city elected a majority of vegans to the school board?
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 09:47:18 PM »

I really like pork too, but to call a daycare board banning it a "grim story" is a bit hyperbolic. Will the author react the same way if a Canadian city elected a majority of vegans to the school board?

Would Canadians?

Probably. But they wouldn't react at all if said schoolboard banned horseflesh. Oh look! cultural informed food taboos!
Meursault
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 02:56:57 AM »

Of course there's nothing uniquely Islamic (or Arabic) about their preference for an illiberal, majoritarian democracy. Most people the world over are illiberal majoritarians. I myself am illiberal to an extreme, but my antipathy for democracy and my hostility towards religion tempers this. Majoritarianism simly manifests more frequently in Islamic political life.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 01:08:48 PM »

It's not so much that most Muslims aren't ready for democracy, it's that most Muslims aren't ready for human rights.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 01:45:32 PM »

FLAME WAR!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies