Would you rather live in Fargo, ND or Phoenix, AZ? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:17:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Would you rather live in Fargo, ND or Phoenix, AZ? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would you rather live in Fargo, ND or Phoenix, AZ?
Fargo, ND

Phoenix, AZ

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 79

Author Topic: Would you rather live in Fargo, ND or Phoenix, AZ?  (Read 5230 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« on: April 19, 2014, 05:32:58 PM »

Fargo of course.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 12:14:44 PM »

It's easier to get warm in bitter cold winters than it is to get cool in the extreme heat typical of Phoenix, even with air conditioning. If it's cold, it's fairly easy to get inside, and even outside, you just have to dress warmly enough.  Wearing light enough clothing when it's 120 degrees is a little more difficult.

Also, the argument that you can cool off in Phoenix just by heading for the mountains or ocean is not that convincing.  It takes more than just a few minutes.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 02:09:49 PM »

It's easier to get warm in bitter cold winters than it is to get cool in the extreme heat typical of Phoenix, even with air conditioning. If it's cold, it's fairly easy to get inside, and even outside, you just have to dress warmly enough.  Wearing light enough clothing when it's 120 degrees is a little more difficult.

Also, the argument that you can cool off in Phoenix just by heading for the mountains or ocean is not that convincing.  It takes more than just a few minutes.

I've lived in Arizona and Minnesota and I disagree.

First off, 120 is the all time record high for Phoenix.  If you want to play that game we have to compare 120 to -48, the record low for Fargo.  The summers in Phoenix are really hot, sure.  But, the average day is more like 105.  105 is hot, but it's not 105 all day.  When it's actually 105, you're usually at work or school.  In the morning, it's like 85 at most so it's pretty comfortable considering the lack of humidity.  If you get up early, you can be outside comfortably, there's no parallel for that in a Fargo winter.

Cold winters also create all these problems like de-icing your windshield, shoveling snow, your car not starting because it's too cold, your car rusting from salt on the streets, driving in snow and ice, lack of vitamin D and sunshine, not being able to exercise outside.  And, just in terms of physical discomfort, 0 degrees is fifty times worse than 100 degrees.

On the proximity to cooler climates point, I mean you can take a quick weekend trip to the beach or mountains during the hot summer months.

I am more comfortable in 0 degrees than I am in 100 degrees (as long as I'm bungled up in the cold).  When it's -20, you're also likely to be at work or school, and the buildings are kept warm.

As someone who enjoys brisk walks, even 80 is not very comfortable for walking a mile or two at a fast pace.  It's much easier when it's 30-40 with the proper clothes.

I am aware that Arizona is a "dry heat".  While there may be some advantages over a humid heat, dryness has its own problems, especially when combined with heat.  It's not great for the skin, and I get thirsty easily, especially during the hot months.

The climate here in the Dakotas is great for the majority of the year, with maybe a couple months each for bitter cold and for sweltering heat.  I'd rather not have a daily high in the 80s or higher for a majority of the year.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 03:12:27 PM »

Really? Even most people I know that like cooler weather prefer 100 degrees to 0 degrees, if they are forced to choose. You must have a lot of natural body heat or someting. Tongue

It may be different if I have to be outside.  My house has good heating, even in 0 degrees.  It's harder to keep my place comfortable in 100.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies