The Dutch (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:39:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The Dutch (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Dutch  (Read 3112 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« on: April 19, 2014, 03:47:02 PM »

I realized sometime today while searching up ethnicities by county that the dutch are clearly more conservative than their surroundings and stick out very obviously. Allegan, Kent, and Ottawa counties in Michigan are plurality dutch, and the areas in those counties that are very dutch also stick out:

There are many precincts in eastern Ottawa, northern Allegan, and southwestern Kent that vote >70% R and sometimes into the 80's. Also, Missaukee county in northern Michigan has always stood as as being more republican than its neighbors, and it too, happens to be majority dutch:

Specifically the three dark red (or orange) precincts in the south of the county all go >70% McCain. I also wonder if the rural area next to Saginaw that is unnaturally republican is also dutch

In Iowa, northwestern Iowa has always been an oddball for me to figure out, Bush wouldn't have won Iowa in 2004 if it weren't for Sioux County. Although there's 3 or 4 counties that are very conservative, only the most conservative one, Sioux, is plurality dutch, according to that map.

Although that area around is more conservative in general, I would think the Dutch ethnicity really does make a huge difference. One more example is two counties in central Iowa that are plurality dutch, and the parts that are dutch are pretty clearly spotted (specifically in Marion county)

There's other areas you can find where there's just overwhelming republican precincts out of nowhere, but is this because of a republican tradition, or because of a conservative culture? Or something else?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 03:52:41 PM »

Here's the map I was talking about (its 14 years old, but is probably still somewhat accurate:

Also, on the counties I just talked about, most of them have the "Reformed" christian church. Interesting

ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 07:01:03 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2014, 07:04:27 PM by ElectionsGuy »

Here's another map.

Interestingly the two >20% Dutch counties in the southwest corner of Minnesota were the only counties to vote against Klobuchar.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies