do you dread going to work?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:54:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  do you dread going to work?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ...
yes

no

i look forward to work (inks and torie option)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: do you dread going to work?  (Read 1005 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 19, 2014, 04:08:31 PM »

discuss.  honestly.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 04:09:28 PM »

Usually #3
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 04:10:59 PM »

I work few hours, but I enjoy what I do.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 05:10:26 PM »

Honestly, yes, but when I get there I'm cool with it.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 05:27:41 PM »

Option #3, of course. I feel bad for people who aren't.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 05:28:21 PM »

There are days when I wake up think to myself, "Ohmygod I have so much to do today and I'm not going to be able to leave work until some ungodly hour" and I pull my blanket over my head and go back to sleep thinking that is somehow going to fix that problem. And the end result is usually just me going into work a couple of hours later than I would have and, consequently, not leaving until a couple of hours later than I otherwise would have.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 06:10:03 PM »

Not anymore, in fact, I often look forward to it.  I'm more likely to dread the prospect of actually waking up than having to go to work afterwards.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 08:12:18 PM »

I don't work; I conned the government into thinking I was crazy, so I receive government disability checks every month.

If true (which I am fully in doubt of), that's pretty god damn despicable.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 08:16:26 PM »

I don't work; I conned the government into thinking I was crazy, so I receive government disability checks every month.

FF
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 08:19:09 PM »

Option 3. It's the best part of my day, honestly.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 09:47:29 PM »

Yes (normal)

Unless you have full control over what you do and when you do it, I don't know how it's possible for any sane human being to enjoy being yelled at to perform an almost assuredly meaningless task for eight hours a day.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 09:53:01 PM »

Yes (normal)

Unless you have full control over what you do and when you do it, I don't know how it's possible for any sane human being to enjoy being yelled at to perform an almost assuredly meaningless task for eight hours a day.

That explains a lot. Tongue

I find my job fulfilling, though I am not a hard worker by any definition. Bonus points for the access to good looking and creative women.

Have you considered switching your occupation?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 09:56:32 PM »

Yes (normal)

I find my job fulfilling, though I am not a hard worker by any definition. Bonus points for the access to good looking and creative women.

I'm in the midst of a job search, and hopefully by summer there will be more spots open in my chosen field (education), which would be great because that would at least be a job in which I would have a much larger degree of autonomy than I do now as a wage-slave in a hamburger sweatshop.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 10:49:45 PM »

Yes (normal)

You work in an awful place... so of course you'll hate it.

FTR - I don't dread it.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 01:51:43 AM »

Not anymore, most of the time. I've managed to psych myself into perversely enjoying the stress that comes with being expected to personally do the work of three people while supervising ~50 who are collectively expected to do the work of 100+

I've become quite skilled at managing, delegating, prioritizing, allocating limited resources, and rapid decision making. I treat it like a game I'm using to hone these skills so they can be better applied in the future. My front end is graded with quite a few metrics so there's kind of even a score. I do trick myself into having fun most of the time.

Honestly though my biggest motivation to go to work each day are my cashiers. They like me because I'm the only manager who treats them like human beings (and I'm also the only one who consistently shows up immediately when they need help). Others on my level just treat them like a piece of machinery. Sometimes I think about calling out but honestly whoever fills in for me is inevitably going to be ignoring people's breaks, enforcing pointless and unnecessary rules, making unreasonable demands of everyone, ignoring basic courtesies, and shifting blame down when things aren't done right. I hear a lot of rough stories from my two off days every week and I don't want to put people through that more than I have to.

So no I don't dread work. I dread missing it because it means a lot of people get treated like minimum wage slaves instead of actual humans and I can't stand that
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 01:59:10 AM »

work might suck but its still better than the sheer boredom I will get if I stay at home all week long.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 02:33:17 AM »

Yes (normal)

I'm in the midst of a job search, and hopefully by summer there will be more spots open in my chosen field (education), which would be great because that would at least be a job in which I would have a much larger degree of autonomy than I do now as a wage-slave in a hamburger sweatshop.

For some reason I thought you had a union job. I wish you luck in your job search. What is your desired profession?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2014, 02:45:12 AM »

Yes (normal)

For some reason I thought you had a union job. I wish you luck in your job search. What is your desired profession?

I'd say scab-buster! Cheesy
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2014, 09:28:01 AM »

I would never do this, but I find it awesome that there is someone who would say they did.  I'm a bit with TNF here, and although this isn't really the way to go, minimum wage toils are a greater injustice than conning a government that does not support the working class for money.  Both are bad, but I'm not terribly offended at what RosettaStoned is doing. 
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2014, 09:46:54 AM »

Yes (normal)

Unfortunately no. I am a union member (joined up when I did student teaching) and have worked one union job since (canvassing to raise the minimum wage) but at present, I am working as a hamburger flipper and have for the past five years. My degree is in high school education, specifically history, though I would like to do some union organizing before I settle down into something permanent, if I can ever find anything to that extent. I've been applying like mad for both union organizing and teaching jobs since January at least.

Yes (normal)

Now that would be a job that I could definitely do. Wink
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2014, 09:59:12 AM »

Yes (normal)

Unfortunately no. I am a union member (joined up when I did student teaching) and have worked one union job since (canvassing to raise the minimum wage) but at present, I am working as a hamburger flipper and have for the past five years. My degree is in high school education, specifically history, though I would like to do some union organizing before I settle down into something permanent, if I can ever find anything to that extent. I've been applying like mad for both union organizing and teaching jobs since January at least.

Yes (normal)

Now that would be a job that I could definitely do. Wink
Where would you like to Tech TNF? Kentucky, west Virginia or you re open for everywhere?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2014, 11:01:22 AM »

I plan on moving to Illinois soon, so I've been exclusively applying for teaching jobs up there.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2014, 11:27:22 AM »

I dread the moment when I will have to start working.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2014, 11:46:24 AM »

I dread the moment when I will have to start working.

Which, in the country where you live, is basically never. Congrats!
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2014, 11:48:26 AM »

the one time i really miss opebo is in threads like these.

there are actually people that look forward to work?  wow.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies