Kurt Horner's cycle of recurring political archetypes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:02:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Kurt Horner's cycle of recurring political archetypes
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kurt Horner's cycle of recurring political archetypes  (Read 1806 times)
Meursault
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 19, 2014, 07:15:43 PM »
« edited: April 19, 2014, 07:26:22 PM by Meursault »

Almost five years ago I posted a thread about a cyclical theory of political alignments. There was some push back on the issue from more rationalist-oriented posters, and rightly so: they said that cyclical theories of history are "mystical rubbish", unquantified and unquantifiable - and I largely agree with them. The old adage that "history does not repeat, but it does rhyme" might be applicable here; it's entirely too easy to read patterns into the entrails of history that simply are not there.

That said, cyclical theories have an inherent aesthetic appeal to me. And so I will present the forum with another one. Like the old thread on Democratic Underground, this theory is not mine, and I can make no claim on it; it belongs to a user named Kurt Horner, who posts on the Strauss & Howe (Generational Theory) forum. If you had pop-history and pseudopsychology, you're undoubtedly going to hate this idea as well. But if you think there's something to generational cliodynamics, you might appreciate this.

To greatly simplify, Mr. Horner has taken the Nolan and Mitchell Charts, overlaid them with the political compass test, and arrived at this monstrosity:

Horner explains further:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is where Horner begins his analysis of contemporary history. If I quote extensively from him, it's because he does a better job of explaining his own idea than I ever could. And just a word before I begin: Horner borrows and modifies Strauss-Howe generational theory, but he uses the same terms. Basically, they are self-explanatory, but for the uninitiated, a "High", or First Turning, is a period of relative social stability, as in the 1950s and early 1960s; an "Awakening", or Second Turning, is a period of inner crisis, as in the 1960s and 1970s; an "Unraveling", or Third Turning, is a period of social fracturing, as in the 1980s through the early 2000s; and a "Crisis", or Fourth Turning, is a period of outer crisis, as in the Great Depression and our current period.

That said, I'll let Horner take it from here:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Horner also takes this theory and extrapolates further into the American past, from the 'Transcendental Awakening' (the Awakening period preceding the American Civil War, in which the Bostonian Transcendentalists were active, along with authors such as Herman Melville and Edgar Allen Poe)  through to the American Civil War and the 'Progressive Awakening', the mauve decade of the 1890s that shaped Franklin Roosevelt's Missionary Generation and exemplified by a sort of rationalist spiritual awakening in the form of the Chautaqua Movementand Art Nouveau:

Now there are obvious weaknesses to this theory, and I'll attempt to head some of the criticisms off at the pass: it has no explanatory value; other than generational re-alignment based on a tenuous pop-culture theory, it offers no mechanism by which this transition can be identified. But it still makes an intuitive sort of sense to me. The Civil War period was in fact a conflict between simple rules (the free soil-ism of the abolitionist North) and the challenge to authority of the Confederacy. The New Deal era was a period of conflict between complex rules (the New Deal) and deference to the authority of traditional industrial organizational and managerial complexes. So, very broadly, it makes sense and, I think, is accurate.

And it does suggest a testable, empirical predictive hypothesis - that the coming 'saeculum' - the unit of historical measurement in Strauss-Howe theory - will be defined by a conflict between the precise rules of the modern administrative State and the challenge to authority embodied in, example, the Internet. I think that's pretty accurate for what we've seen so far, and is probably more useful as an instrument of social measurement than a mere 'conservative' and 'liberal' divide, as partisans of both will surely end up on each side - just as there were many conservative Unionists and radical-utopian Confederates.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the subject?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 08:13:03 PM »

Oh, Mersault, you are so American, after all. Your mask of European 'sophistication' is slipping.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 09:00:46 PM »

Top le(l)ft.
Meursault
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 10:08:15 PM »

Yes, but what about the theory? I think it works descriptively, as a narrative, if not as a hypothesis.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 03:24:31 AM »
« Edited: April 20, 2014, 03:31:59 AM by Cathcon »

So you are Einzige... That's honestly my main question. Will read content in a few.

EDIT: Having read, I'm unqualified to comment. Interesting, though I'm nowhere near full comprehension of what's going on. I could make the excuse that it's due to lack of sleep, though I doubt I'd understand it with enough sleep.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 09:19:26 AM »

Oh, Mersault, you are so American, after all. Your mask of European 'sophistication' is slipping.

Yes. It's difficult to express quite how American this is.
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 10:23:49 AM »

Yes. It's difficult to express quite how American this is.

As an insular American, I'm a little curious as to how this is quintessentially American.

I read a book once ("Ciao America"), where the author came to America and was stunned to see weather forecasts laden with statistics, such as "wind chill" or "heat index".  Is it something like that?

To quote Nena lyrics--because, why not?--are Americans particularly inclined to "identify, clarify, and classify"?

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 03:16:25 PM »

what is this
Meursault
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 05:04:43 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2014, 05:22:12 PM by Meursault »

Let me try to summarize a little:

Horner thinks that politics basically boils down to two different conflicts - between simplified and specific rules of social etiquette and control and between deference to and challenge against social authorities. The particular identities of these authorities can (and do) change, but the tone of this deference or resistance tends to be constant. Horner further holds this can be pictured accurately as an X/Y axis, rotating counterclockwise, with the cutting edge of political thought being on the leading-edge of this counterclockwise motion.

Horner further believes that only one set on each vertice interacts with the other at any given time - take the Great Depression, in which the primary conflict was between those who wanted specific rules (regulatory bodies acting on the capitalist economy) and those who deferred to traditional economic authorities.

The Civil War, one 'saeculum' earlier, was a conflict forty-five degrees further removed along the axis, between the simple rules proposed by Northern free-soilers (slavery complicated the issue of wage labour and social relations between the white working class of the North) and the challenge to authority represented by the Confederacy.

This current Crisis is forty-five degrees advanced from the Great Depression, and is - tentatively - embodied by the conflict between the contemporary administrative State and the challenge to authority embodied by movements like Occupy Wall Street, the Tea Party, and the netroots more generally. One might also include environmentalists and radical theocrats together on this vertice, both of whom are challenging the complex administrative rules of the modern world, albeit to very different ends.

Horner goes on to project a little into the immediate future, which he thinks will be an Awakening sometime between the 2030s and 2050s and during which the conventional political wisdom will be to embrace challenge to authority, with the primary conflict being between 'visionaries' who want to simplify society and 'reactionaries' who wish to preserve its modern complexity. This will roughly mirror the Great Awakening of the Methodists in the second quarter of the eighteenth century.

Meursault
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 05:40:17 PM »

Or, to express it without charts:

In the Civil War period, complex rules were excluded from the political discourse, as the main cleavage point was between those who wanted simple rules (for labour) and those who wished to challenge authority. The cumulative effect was to create a world that deferred to authority.

In the Great Depression period, challenging authority was excluded from the political discourse, as the main cleavage point was between those who wanted complex rules (on business) and those who wished to defer to authority. The cumulative effect was to create a world that challenged authority.

In the coming period, deferring to authority will be excluded from the political discourse, as the main cleavage point will be between those who want complex rules and those who want to challenge authority. The cumulative effect will be to simplify the rules of society.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies