SENATE BILL: The Public means Public Act (Redraft Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:32:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The Public means Public Act (Redraft Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The Public means Public Act (Redraft Law'd)  (Read 12207 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: May 25, 2014, 02:39:11 PM »

You guys are really in the mood to flatter me this week, aren't you?  What can I say.  Thanks. Smiley

Here's my opinion: I think that most efforts in dealing with homelessness and housing, on principle, are best left at the direction of the regions and municipalities, simply because regions and localities are better equipped to plan communities and allocate resources according to demographic trends and needs of the people.  (That's why even though I would like to see the IDS bill enacted in every other region, I would not personally favor a national model or version.)

I applaud Senator Alfred for improving this bill with his amendment.  My only advice to the Senate is if you all think the federal government should have a role in eradicating homelessness, your best bet would be to provide grants and reimbursements for regions looking to (or already have Wink) establish comprehensive poverty and housing initiatives.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 11:18:23 PM »

FTR, I planned on lobbying other regions to pass similar reforms when I drafted the IDS bill, but very rarely am I successful in forming "policy movements" or getting other regions to adopt my ideas (save for a couple of things), so I pretty much abandoned it.

I'm fully in agreement with Yankee and Maxwell on this, though.  By virtue of efficiency I would insist that the regions take the lead on this.  (And hey, maybe other regions will pass similar legislation as a result of this debate.)  It was able to pass in the IDS with a divided legislature, so I don't see why other regions, especially those with Labor-controlled governments, couldn't craft their own initiatives.

Also, for reference, may I please see the Northeast bill, preferably in its debate thread?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies