IDS 1: Housing First Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:58:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  IDS 1: Housing First Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IDS 1: Housing First Act (Passed)  (Read 599 times)
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2014, 03:21:24 AM »
« edited: April 30, 2014, 04:52:43 PM by Speaker Dereich »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Emperor Scott
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 08:40:48 PM »

I brought up this bill a second time due to its prior failure in the Legislature when I thought it would pass and there was little debate or objection.  For that reason, I would ask that the legislators state their objections now so that we can create a bipartisan housing policy that is both more effective and less costly than our current system of temporary band-aids.

I have spoken about the concepts behind this bill on many different occasions, so I'll just copy and paste my last speech on the matter.

This is a bill that I've discussed several times before, but for those who do not understand the objective of the bill, this policy was inspired by an anti-homelessness initiative that started in Utah several years ago.  In eight short years, the State of Utah has been able to quietly reduce homelessness by 78% and is on track to completely abolish it by 2015.

And how were they able to accomplish this?  By literally giving people homes, thereby reducing state costs of E.R. visits and jail stays, and providing each applicant with a social worker to help them become self-sufficient.  The program has shown to not only be effective, but good for the budget and good for the state's economy.  Housing, at the above article puts it, is not only human, it's economical, and I hope that the Legislature will pass this swiftly.

I am prepared to take any questions, comments, or suggestions.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 08:25:32 AM »

You said that it would reduce E.R. costs and jail stays, but my concern is, at least at first, the initial cost of this project sounds like it would be very large. What would be that cost?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 04:25:59 PM »

You said that it would reduce E.R. costs and jail stays, but my concern is, at least at first, the initial cost of this project sounds like it would be very large. What would be that cost?

GM Nix said he couldn't give me an estimate when I asked for one.  I am basing my expectations on the Utah experiment, which is that visits to the E.R. and prison sentences will shrink as people are moved into homes and given the tools to become independent.  Developing a plan that will eliminate homelessness in ten years is sure to cost less in the long run than continuing to support a system that has people in and out of jails and hospitals with no end in sight.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 04:58:35 PM »

I fully support this legislation. Scott's presented well-thought-out legislation that's based on something entirely successful IRL. I don't see this becoming a problem.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 05:30:27 PM »

I will think of more, but I want to hear Dereich's concerns before I go forward with anything.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 03:38:57 AM »

Well, without a cost estimate my biggest problem is that I don't think it deals with the main problem of homelessness; long term homelessness is much more due to serious mental illness causing problems rather than the lack of availability. As for the non-mental illness related homelessness, I've been led to believe that that is a much lesser problem; as in a situation where the afflicted don't stay homeless for very long. At any rate, I'd like some kind of mental health provision added before I'd consider voting for this.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 08:00:50 PM »

I want to add this section to the bill. Maybe Dereich would have more to add.

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 11:03:50 PM »

Amendment is friendly.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 05:03:11 PM »

Putting aside the mental health issue (because Maxwell's amendment is fine for the purpose and I'm trying to write up a more comprehensive bill on the issue for later), the biggest issue I have is transition of information. This seems like one of those programs that would be underutilized because the people its aimed at wouldn't know about it. Do y'all agree that its a problem? If so, I'm sure I can throw an amendment together to include an information campaign, but that does add costs on as well...
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 06:56:37 PM »

Putting aside the mental health issue (because Maxwell's amendment is fine for the purpose and I'm trying to write up a more comprehensive bill on the issue for later), the biggest issue I have is transition of information. This seems like one of those programs that would be underutilized because the people its aimed at wouldn't know about it. Do y'all agree that its a problem? If so, I'm sure I can throw an amendment together to include an information campaign, but that does add costs on as well...

I don't think that should be a problem, necessarily.  While it is more difficult for homeless people to be informed, word tends to get out one way or another.  An able-minded homeless person who's looking for a solution will likely come across the program through his or her search.  People who have mental illness will probably be enrolled in the program by the state or caretaker.  As more people are enrolled and lifted out of poverty, more people will learn about it and perpetual homelessness will gradually decrease until it's no longer a problem.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 08:30:45 AM »

Is there anything else we would like to change?
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 11:49:36 AM »

Is there anything else we would like to change?

I don't think so; it seems to be alright as it is.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 12:47:19 PM »

Seeing no further debate, I bring this bill forward to a vote. Legislators have 48 hours or until all others have voted to vote either Aye, Nay or to Abstain.

Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 02:56:16 PM »

Aye.

I strongly support this bill.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 02:58:17 PM »

I'm going to be pragmatic with my vote on this one.

Aye
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 07:35:06 PM »

Aye
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 04:52:21 PM »

With 3 ayes and one legislator not voting (oops) this bill passes the legislature and is sent to the Emperor for signature or veto.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 06:42:35 AM »

I would like to use this opportunity to thank the Legislature for passing this vital piece of legislation.  I know that a lot of people, especially those from the conservative side of the spectrum, were skeptical and on the fence.  I know that for Maxwell, especially, this was a hard vote to cast.  But I'm happy we were able to get something done on this issue and become the first region in the nation to pass what is perhaps the largest anti-poverty reform since Fritzcare. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies