The Great Rat Race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:47:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Great Rat Race
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Great Rat Race  (Read 675 times)
NHI
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2014, 10:06:50 AM »

Ronald Reagan: 'Job Well Done'
President Forgoes a Second Term

AP - Washington, DC (April 1983)
President Ronald Reagan announced to the surprise of many in the Republican Party, his decision to not run for a second term as President. While the President made no mention of his age or health, it has been speculated that the already oldest President in American history was not up to the task of another four years. Ronald Reagan credited the recovering economy as a sign of his working policies and pledged that he would spend the remaining years in office devoted to the economy and rebuilding American military strength and prestige.

In the quest to see who will succeed Reagan as the party standard bearer, the race has already begun. Vice President George Bush is expected to throw his hat into the ring, and being the Vice President puts him in a strong position for the nomination. Other candidates include Representative Jack Kemp of New York, a favorite among the party conservatives, Senator Bob Dole of Kansas, a 1980 candidate and 1976 Vice Presidential candidate and Tennessee Senator and Minority Leader Howard Baker. So far only Baker has announced his candidacy.

On the Democratic side, the departure of Reagan is sure to bring many more Democrats into the fold. Former Vice President Walter Mondale has already declared his candidacy, as has Colorado Senator Gary Hart. Other potential candidates include New Jersey Senator Bill Bradley, Texas Senator Lloyd Bentsen and Former California Governor Jerry Brown.

Polling at this time gives the Republicans a slight edge: 46 percent to 43 percent.
NHI
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 10:57:06 AM »

VP Bush Enters Race

Baker Declares Candidacy

Kemp Positions himself as Heir to Reagan

Bob Dole to Run For President

The Democrats

Hart Sees Himself as the Democrats Best Hope
"I can appeal to the voters we need to win back, Mr. Mondale cannot."

Mondale Tries to Position himself as a New Democrat
"When I look at my opponent's plan I'm reminded of that ad, 'where's the beef' and I ask of my opponent, where's the beef?"

Republican Nomination Poll:
George Bush: 26%
Howard Baker: 20%
Jack Kemp: 17%
Bob Dole: 14%
Undecided: 23%

Democratic Nomination Poll:
Walter Mondale: 24%
Gary Hart: 20%
Jerry Brown: 14%
Bill Bradley: 13%
Jesse Jackson: 10%