ATTENTION REGIONAL EXECUTIVES: Executive Department Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:14:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  ATTENTION REGIONAL EXECUTIVES: Executive Department Amendment
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ATTENTION REGIONAL EXECUTIVES: Executive Department Amendment  (Read 376 times)
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2014, 07:09:56 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Clauses presently numbered as five and above in Section 2 of Article VIII shall be renumbered accordingly. [/quote]

Senate thread

Summary:  To grant the Atlasian Senate increased constitutional flexibility over the executive cabinet, in an effort to have the ability of changing executive department titles and/or status.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 11:55:13 AM »

This has been a pretty quiet vote.

Just so all are aware, this is being interpreted to mean that the Senate can choose to get rid of any department mentioned in the Constitution without actually changing the Constitution.  So the Constitution will say that a department exists, but it actually doesn't.  I don't believe that is good for our democracy.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 11:12:13 PM »

If you compare the clause referenced to the section this is being amended to, it isn't even clear how they fit together - it is vague at best.  I hope the people will also support a fix to this amendment since it looks like it is going to pass.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 09:37:49 AM »

Yeah, the roots of this go back at least to the Dept. Renaming issue where it was decided that if a dept. can be considered created by the Constitution, the Senate cannot touch that dept. in any shape, manner, or form, not even to change its name. So, there is a bit of a "constitutional crisis" here, I think. I support the amendment because I think the Senate will do the right thing and I don't think the presence of departments in the Constitution should prohibit something so minor as their names being changed.

So if the Senate wanted to really tidy this up, they may also modify 1.5.28 as well and send that to referendum, but as the amendment stands, I like it and I think we're on pace to pass it unanimously in the Pacific. I know voting ends tonight.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 09:36:15 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2014, 09:50:10 PM by shua »

Someone just reading this in the constitution wouldn't even suspect that it would give the Senate the power to rename a department unless they were familiar with obscure case law.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 06:27:38 AM »
« Edited: April 28, 2014, 06:29:21 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

It references another part of the constittuion, which then establishes the Senate authority over the department, of which renaming would be a simple and reasonable assumption to authortized by such.

One could say that large segments of the Constitution are likewise lacking in terms of what the effect of them are.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies